Sheena's 2021 Athletics Thread

FetchFugly

Pregnant
Been watching the indoors highlights on the BBC. Elliot Giles seems to have come on crazy amounts, and has been very impressive especially this week in breaking Coe's record. I see the reporting is making much of the Nike super spikes - are they such an advantage?

Yeah loving the Indoor coverage. Do BBC usually show the indoor season weekly? I don't seem to remember it getting this much coverage but loving it, really hoping for a full on season this year that I can get stuck into

Been watching the indoors highlights on the BBC. Elliot Giles seems to have come on crazy amounts, and has been very impressive especially this week in breaking Coe's record. I see the reporting is making much of the Nike super spikes - are they such an advantage?

Yes, basically. They’re doing ridiculous things and there are calls for them to be banned. It has made the playing field rather uneven.

Jamie Webb in second without the spikes was a ridiculously incredible performance that is going to be entirely forgotten too.

Yeah loving the Indoor coverage. Do BBC usually show the indoor season weekly? I don't seem to remember it getting this much coverage but loving it, really hoping for a full on season this year that I can get stuck into

They don’t, but they’re grabbing all the sport they can get right now in these Covid times. I’m HERE for it.

Do we have Sheena’s 2021 Athletics Thread or is this a catch all these days?

I see Sha’Carri Richardson is supposedly out of the Women’s 100m at the Olympics after a positive cannabis test.

She’s posted a cryptic ‘I AM HUMAN’ tweet. Even so, this is disappointing. :argh:

Last edited:
Why do they even test for cannabis, it’s hardly PERFORMANCE ENHANCING!?

I think it’s on the banned substance list as it could reduce anxiety etc and improve some types of oxygenation. Therefore it could be viewed as having a performance enhancing effect. Not sure how much of an effect however RULES ARE RULES.

It’s also against the ‘spirit of sport’ given it’s illegal status in a lot of countries.

With it being a NEW AND OLYMPIC YEAR, can a mod split this out into Sheena's 2021 Athletics' Thread, please?

There are a million arguments as to why cannabis should be on the banned list and even if you don't agree with them, the point is, IT'S BANNED, so you have to suck it up.

I'm over the moon she's gone. I don't trust a single PIECE of her. Trains under convicted drug cheat Dennis Mitchell, in a training group with Justin FUCKING Gatlin and then at the trials, notorious and completely unapologetic drugs cheat Chryste Gaines turns up as a friend of the family sat with her Mum. YOU LAY WITH DOGS AND YOU GET FLEAS. Plus she's really quite awful a person- she's trash talked some people (including Dina..."I don't know her". The World 200m Champion? BITCH, PLEASE, SIT DOWN) and I've not got a BIT of sympathy for her.

The last 48 hours has been incredible- the Warholm WR, the Namibian teenager running 48.5 and then being removed from the Olympic 400m the day after but entered in the 200m (because she's blatantly intersex) so her coach probably told her "just go out there and run as hard as you can, because this is your last chance". Oh it's ALL been going on.

With it being a NEW AND OLYMPIC YEAR, can a mod split this out into Sheena's 2021 Athletics' Thread, please?

There are a million arguments as to why cannabis should be on the banned list and even if you don't agree with them, the point is, IT'S BANNED, so you have to suck it up.

I'm over the moon she's gone. I don't trust a single PIECE of her. Trains under convicted drug cheat Dennis Mitchell, in a training group with Justin FUCKING Gatlin and then at the trials, notorious and completely unapologetic drugs cheat Chryste Gaines turns up as a friend of the family sat with her Mum. YOU LAY WITH DOGS AND YOU GET FLEAS. Plus she's really quite awful a person- she's trash talked some people (including Dina..."I don't know her". The World 200m Champion? BITCH, PLEASE, SIT DOWN) and I've not got a BIT of sympathy for her.

The last 48 hours has been incredible- the Warholm WR, the Namibian teenager running 48.5 and then being removed from the Olympic 400m the day after but entered in the 200m (because she's blatantly intersex) so her coach probably told her "just go out there and run as hard as you can, because this is your last chance". Oh it's ALL been going on.

Just here for the drug chat, obviously a lot of pro cannabis people are eye rolling at this ban and the deeper context is really interesting, but out of professional curiosity, what are the arguments for cannabis being on the banned list?

Fill your boots here:

And I repeat my earlier assertion- it doesn't MATTER that people are eye rolling at the ban, it's banned. Just as loads of other ridiculous things are (lots of cold and cough medicines for example)- the fact remains that it IS banned, you have it in your body. End of.

Oh yeah I get that. It just seems odd that you say there are a million arguments for THC being banned when CBD isn't.

Oh yeah I get that. It just seems odd that you say there are a million arguments for THC being banned when CBD isn't.

And I knew you were fishing for the pro- cannabis corner, but I actually don’t think it should be banned, so wasn’t going to bite. But I concede I am not remotely scientific enough to know (or care) the intricacies. It boils down to “rules are rules” for sport and she broke them,

How about Salwa Eid Naser? There’s quite a drought on the 400m with apparently Miller-Uibo sadly not running it either. Could it be another medal for Felix?

How about Salwa Eid Naser? There’s quite a drought on the 400m with apparently Miller-Uibo sadly not running it either. Could it be another medal for Felix?

Salwa was banned for 2 years this week- whereabouts issues. She was cleared but they took it to CAS who banned her.

Shaunae has the 400 sewn up if she chooses that over the 200. She’s yet to confirm. I think she’s entered for both.

With both 400 metres hurdles world records going recently they could be the Tokyo highlight, two real head to heads there.

I am honoured to accidentally start the Sheena's Athletics thread.

I caught up on the Oslo DL last night. Was great to see Warholm get the WR, but also Eilish the NR and be right up there in her race. I always enjoy a pole vault competition too, and it must be said that the junior Lavillenie is very pretty these days.

I also see that Andrew Butchart is in trouble for bragging about changing the date on a Covid test. WHAT A TIT

Everything is just SO exciting at the moment. Its like the Athletes have trained/dosed themselves up for an extra year and these are the results :D :disco:

With Wimbeldon and the Euros, I can't see Athletics in the schedules on BBC like usual, have the highlights been shows, I really want to watch Oslo

Everything is just SO exciting at the moment. Its like the Athletes have trained/dosed themselves up for an extra year and these are the results :D :disco:

With Wimbeldon and the Euros, I can't see Athletics in the schedules on BBC like usual, have the highlights been shows, I really want to watch Oslo

I recorded it from the red button at 7am on Friday morning (!), not sure if it was shown before that. I can't find it on catch up on Sky.

Stockholm and Monaco are on BBC2 and BBC4 on Sunday and Friday respectively.

I recorded it from the red button at 7am on Friday morning (!), not sure if it was shown before that. I can't find it on catch up on Sky.

Stockholm and Monaco are on BBC2 and BBC4 on Sunday and Friday respectively.

Brilliant cheers. Need to re-set that series link! Stockholm is LIVE i see :disco:

Was looking at time differences for Tokyo yesterday. I hate Olympics where the evening sessions are when I am at work, through the night. I took two weeks off for Rio :D

Bit disappointed the Jamaicans couldn’t find a way to shoehorn Omar McLeod into the team after his trials disaster. They managed it for Merlene in 2000, or rather I imagine she told them to get her in.

Omar is a divisive figure in Jamaica as he’s apparently a gay. I’m not sure it would sit too well to have him usurping someone else.

The situation with Merlene in 2000 was different. The woman she replaced, Peta-Gaye Dowdie, was actually injured. That didn’t stop an anti-Merlene protest that ultimately led her to jump ship and represent Slovenia. Or so she says. The guaranteed place on their team vs the much tougher Jamaican competition must have had far more influence you’d think…

Omar is a divisive figure in Jamaica as he’s apparently a gay. I’m not sure it would sit too well to have him usurping someone else.

I had that impression of Omar and did wonder how is is received in Jamaica. I think I read he is based in the US?

I had that impression of Omar and did wonder how is is received in Jamaica. I think I read he is based in the US?

He’s never come out but it seems to be a fairly open secret. Rumours for a long time he was in a relationship with Aries Merritt who is also a secret gay. The same rumours talked about Olympic 400m hurdles champion Kerron Clement who has subsequently come out.

He is US-based but a lot of the Jamaicans are, because of the college system and training facilities.

He’s never come out but it seems to be a fairly open secret. Rumours for a long time he was in a relationship with Aries Merritt who is also a secret gay. The same rumours talked about Olympic 400m hurdles champion Kerron Clement who has subsequently come out.

He is US-based but a lot of the Jamaicans are, because of the college system and training facilities.

What is it with HURDLING HOMOSEXUALS? :D

What is it with HURDLING HOMOSEXUALS? :D

I think its because you have to be somewhat of a GYMNAST to be any good? :D

Yes I am sure Omar is screaming. I thought he was since he was banging on about his chihuahua's back home during RIO :D

In other news, why is Monacco Diamond League not on BBC this weekend? :( Looks like am amazing run from Laura Muir in the 800m :disco:

Last edited:
I think its because you have to be somewhat of a GYNMAST to be any good? :D

Yes I am sure Omar is screaming. I thought he was since he was banging on about his chihuahua's back home during RIO :D

In other news, why is Monacco Diamond League not on BBC this weekend? :( Looks like am amazing run from Laura Muir in the 800m :disco:

It was on BBC4 last night. I assume it will be on catch up.

It is on catch up, I watched it last night when I got in.

Laura must be kicking herself withdrawing from the 800 after seeing that 1500 last night as well. The 800 feels more open- albeit that you’d think Athing Mu must be the favourite after that ridiculous trials performance, but she is very young and very inexperienced at Olympic level. She’s raced a LOT this year on the collegiate scene too.

Yes Muir should be doing the 800m! To be fair its always been her 3rd event though hasn't it until maybe now?

As I spend another morning in the 1990 Commonwealth Games, do we all know the user Basil Sage on Youtube? He has basically videos of every championships from 1983 onwards, every heat, jump- it's fantastic. I've been watching on the go-slow for years. It's about to hit the European Championships in 1990 which was when I became properly obsessed, and though I'm looking forward to seeing all of those events again, I'm sad that the "new" stuff is going to be over soon.

Yes Muir should be doing the 800m! To be fair its always been her 3rd event though hasn't it until maybe now?

The last couple of years she has leaned more towards it than the 5k. Her 5k PB is still pretty slow to be honest...

SCREAM. Is Thanou Secretary General?

Rabid pair of cunts.

Though nothing on Belarus who had twice-caught doper Vladmir Devyatovskiy as President of their athletics federation, only to replace him with Ivan Tsikhan, a THRICE-caught doper! Who, aged 44, has staged a miraculous comeback to reach the Olympic qualifying standard and will be on the hammer circle for them in Tokyo. :D

The DL Eugene line up looks fire. Can't wait for that woman's 100m. Are we getting it on the BBC?

The Beeb has at least stepped up to the plate in terms of the Diamond League this year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom