Sheena's 2022 Athletics Thread

I like Jeanette - but yes, there's a lot of repetition, and I think we could do with some better side-guests.

@Sheena I has questions. What do we think of KJT? Do you think Salwa Eid Naser (who's obvs not here) was doping? How did Shelley at 35 manage to run so fast?! Do we think Matthew Hudson-Smith has a chance at a medal? Who ARE our best hopes?

KJT- I hate to say it, but I think this is the beginning of the end. I can't see her coming back to medal winning level from the injury. I hope I'm wrong!

Salwa- Probably was doping. She runs for Bahrain who basically have a terrible doping record. They are one of those "buy athletes from Nigeria" countries who don't seem to give a fuck about rules. She was a phenomenal junior (pre- Bahrain), though, but then Nigeria isn't MUCH better when it comes to its doping record.

Shelly- Why do all the Jamaicans dominate and just produce endless amazing female sprinters that seem to have ridiculous longevity? No one seems to know. I like Shelly better than most though- and especially better than Elaine. The shoes supposedly have helped everyone get quicker as well...

MHS- I would like to think there's a sneaky bronze there! He's in fabulous form. So happy for him after so much injury woe.

Medals- Keely Hodgkinson and Max Burgin in the 800m are our biggest hopes, I reckon. Laura Muir, Josh Kerr (who looked AMAZING I thought) in the 1500s, Dina in the 200 (I think Shericka will win but the other medals might just be grabbable). Equally, though, I could see us leaving without a single individual medal here to be honest...

I like Jeanette - but yes, there's a lot of repetition, and I think we could do with some better side-guests.
I would say Denise is better than she was, but Colin is appalling. He always has been but his coming out has meant the BBC have a diverse panel, which has to be in his favour.

Jessica I feel is a bit too bland.

I did have athletics tickets in the basket but couldn’t stretch to £250 for shit seats and crap events :(
I'm not even going to Commonwealths! I'm doing Europeans in Munich but couldn't stretch to those too.

I’m sure there’ll be masses of empty seats when it’s on the telly :argh:

Loads of people I know have had little to no success reselling tickets they've bought and had to give up/ got better ones for whatever reason.

Plus Covid being everywhere again ain't gonna help!

Elaine and the other Jamaicans seemed to be on slightly friendlier terms after the 100m. Has all that drama about her leaving the fold to train elsewhere (amongst other things) been resolved?

Elaine and the other Jamaicans seemed to be on slightly friendlier terms after the 100m. Has all that drama about her leaving the fold to train elsewhere (amongst other things) been resolved?

I thought entirely the opposite! Shelly put her best RICTUS GRIN on for the photos but was clearly not interacting with her on ANY level until she had to for the camera :disco:

I like Denise. Paula Radcliffe is a bit of a lump isn’t she.
Paula always sounds like she’s struggling to speak.

I thought the Jamaican ladies were still very icy. There was no actual contact in those hugs despite the camera smiles. Not a patch on the blatant disdain of the Ottey-Torrence-Devers-Privalova days though I do believe Irina at least tried.

Last edited:
Paula always sounds like she’s struggling to speak.

I thought the Jamaican ladies were still very icy. There was no actual contact in those hugs despite the camera smiles. Not a patch on the blatant disdain of the Ottey-Torrance-Devers-Privalova days though I do believe Irina at least tried.

They all strangely LOVED Irina. Merlene's (RUBBISH) biography talks about it, Gail has posted Instagram posts of her and Irina and referred to her as a great friend. She was clearly QUITE LOVELY.

Shericka and Shelly are mates but it's interesting- there was a bit when Shelly went to get a Jamaican flag and Elaine stood next to her and Shelly just completely ignored her for a long, long time!

I also fucking love his attitude.

"I got bronze last time. I want a better colour this time" and "Whatever it takes, it doesn't matter, I will get gold" is EXACTLY the right mindset to have. I mean, it's a fucking outside shot (though I do think he stands a reasonable medal chance, particularly after the heat and semi) but going in there with that level of confidence...

At least being left at home means we are spared Colin on commentary. Having both Denise and Jessica there sometimes makes it feel they are going round and round talking about poor KJT more than they otherwise would.

Josh Kerr is very confident. I liked his interview but I'm not about the whooping before he crossed the line in the first round.

I would love MHS to come through with something and looking forward to seeing what Max Burgin can do - hopefully no on camera hurling though.

Hot Adam's not a happy bunny at the moment though. I see he walked back his comments from his interview on social media.

Laura Muir certainly put in the hard work for that bronze. Very much enjoyed the high jump too.

He’s also picking fights with ex-athletes too, it’s all quite good fun.

He really needs to leave that shonky coach

God that woman’s 1500 was brutal from the start. Amazing heart from all three medalists.

Rojas is something else in the triple jump too.

Like Gemili but not here for him trying to pin a 20.6 performance and failing to make the top 3 in a 5 man heat with the top athlete in it not starting on the press. You find a way and let’s be honest nobody outside of athletics has any idea about this.

I’ve been speed watching, looking forward to having the weekend off to take it all in live.

Didn’t see that coming at all. I thought Josh was going to medal and possibly challenge- he ran a stupid race though. Staying off the pace and expecting to chase them down the home straight again was never going to happen against Ingebrigtsen et al.

So happy for Jake though- what a surprise! Interesting to see where he goes from here and whether it gives him confidence or it’s just a one off shock. He was 33/1 and I almost threw a few quid on him but decided I was being silly!

His Dad is a stadium announcer and called the race live in Eugene. He was entirely professional throughout, broke down slightly after the race had finished and just said a minute or so later “By the way, ladies and gentlemen, that is my son, and he is the world champion”.

😍😍😍

Jake! I managed to avoid spoilers and just caught up. His reaction at the end... it really seemed like he was expecting Ingebrigtsen to come back at him, but he wasn't there. So pleased for him and appreciate that he really was enjoying it all - would love to see him push on though he commented about his age and wanting to take it in all suggested that he knows it might be his moment. Amazing.

Love Asha's video too:

I was jumping up and down as well, or energetically bobbing at least.

Was really pleased to see Dos Santos win as well, he seems a very charming guy.

Jake is only 28. There’s more there time wise, though I do wonder if he’ll get an opportunity like this again. I don’t think Ingebrigtsen was at 100 percent and the rest of the field certainly wasn’t!

Jake was in disbelief at the end, so was I. I feel a few were off their form but still fastest time in world this year so far lends credence to his win.

Athletics is going to be crazy the next few years, the champs are coming thick and fast due to covid.

Shame about Max Burgin. Kyle Langford's post-race analysis though: "Yeah the Polish guy was all over the gaff, the other geezer he was all over the gaff as well" :D

They need to do something about Burgin. He’s injured constantly. He’s had to either pull out of or not be considered for every championship since 2018. That’s not good…

Oh Kyle 'bit like a donkey' Langford.

Great for Dina and she seemed very pleased with her bronze, she knew how tough that final was. Shelly-Ann sorting out Shericka's hair afterwards as well :D

That 21.45 was insanely fast from Shericka. I never thought anyone would approach 21.34 now I’m
Wondering if she can find an extra 10th from somewhere.

We all saw Sal clock 52’74 in 1993 and thought — no one will be able to top THIS one. Now Sid has ran two secs faster :beer:

I’ve been hoping for that one record-breaking time from Shaunae but she’s just not getting there. I almost hope SALWA will return to push her closer. When was the last time Sid did 400?

Last edited:
Sydney is capable of getting close to the 400 WR, I tell you that now.

Shaunae apparently is going to focus on the 200 after this season, so we’ll see if that happens. The 400 was a bit of a damp squib but it was apparently kinda cold and windy- which makes Sydney’s run even more ridiculous.

Salwa is back next season too. Which should be fun. Though I’m not sure how I’m going to feel if she’s suddenly back to 48. form.

Sub 51 for 400 hurdles is pretty much unthinkable. I mean her time would have placed her 6th in the flat final, ridiculous.

I don’t get why Shaunae wants to focus on 200 metres where she’s not going to win when she can always be in with a shout at gold at 400, though to be fair the 400 is a horrible event to do so maybe she wants a break from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom