Should G.U.Y. have been released as a single?

Was G.U.Y. the correct choice of third single?

• Total voters
Gaga's biggest ever flop?

Despite coming off the back of a reasonably successful but alas now erased "D* W*** Y** W***" single, this was a complete and utter BOMB.

There's no way to dress it up - it was a full single, with an extremely expensive (and RIDICULOUS!) video, yet radio ignored it, it slumped in at 76 in the USA, 88 in Australia, and 115 (!) in the UK. It did apparently get to number 5 in Bulgaria however, so it wasn't all a COMPLETE waste of time.

What do you think of G.U.Y.? Should it have been the third ARTPOP single?

Yes, because to deny us a video with Lisa Vanderpump and Giggy would have been CRIMINAL.

Though the rumoured Sexxx Dreams duet with Rihanna would have been possibly her biggest song ever if she had managed to make it happen.

Absolutely not. I'm glad the video exists but the single should've been Artpop or Gypsy.

The song is such a bizarre dud - really boring except for the randomly incredible middle 8.

Such a boring song. The whole 11 minute video thing had really worn thin at this point too. I'm so glad she doesn't have the budget to pull that shit any more.

Reactions: Zu
It should have been "Gypsy" - it's the only thing that would have scored her a decent radio hit at that stage although let's face it all we can do is guess.

If "G.U.Y" (which is perfectly okay as a single) managed to bomb so horrifically, it kind of suggests she was on a hiding to nothing at that point however.

The whole 11 minute video thing had really worn thin at this point too. I'm so glad she doesn't have the budget to pull that shit any more.

Quite. Actually that was one of the things which always irritated me about her. Just SING (well, mime to) THE SONG!

That video was just EXHAUSTING and so been there done that at that point. “I was away for four months but I’m BACK now, do you still like me? It’s me, Lady Gaga. Don’t I look hot? Please like me”. She really shouldn’t have bothered. It was like the last straw where she herself realized this wasn’t working and fucked off to do jazz and Joanne.

The song was delayed and just plopped out with that three in one video, which I think burdened the song. And I'm sure she was touring at the time. I think it's one of my favourite visuals and songs, and tbh, I also wish she had followed it up with GYPSY.

Was a duet with Rihanna really on the cards? That slowed down demo of Sexxx Dreams with the two of them could have been incredible.

The song was delayed and just plopped out with that three in one video, which I think burdened the song. And I'm sure she was touring at the time. I think it's one of my favourite visuals and songs, and tbh, I also wish she had followed it up with GYPSY.

Was a duet with Rihanna really on the cards? That slowed down demo of Sexxx Dreams with the two of them could have been incredible.
I believe this tweet is what got the rumour mill going.

I just don’t really understand the thought process that decided THIS was going to be the third single :D It’s perfectly fine on the album, but it was hardly crying out to be plucked for more attention from the masses - it was clearly never going to be a radio hit either.

And THE VIDEO! Obviously I’m quite happy it exists, but it’s SUCH a jump the shark moment - when she randomly turns into a MINECRAFT CHARACTER :D

I do actually think the blue jeans and REALLY LONG BLONDE HAIR could have been such an iconic Gaga look tbh, but it was diluted and drowned out by being smothered in so much other WEIRD CRAP!

Yes Sexxx Dreams or Gypsy were the other choices for single. I don’t think either would have been huge, but with a single remix they surely would have fared better. Gypsy’s production sounds RATHER DATED now.

Had a Rihanna version of Sexxx Dreams happened, obviously that would have been the clear choice :D

Not when you have tracks like Aura, Venur or Sexx Dreams left in the album! But still, GUY is an amaing track but I fear Gaga was facing a bit of backlash during that era despite the album doing reasonably well. Then again there was the whole DWYW debacle: glamorizing R. Kelly (Just what possessed her to think he was a right choice?) and pulling the video at the last minute (and thank God for that cause the leaked clip was terrifying and tine deaf re: the r. Kelly situation).

ARTPOP was an amazing album and deserved more than 3 singles oh and Dope, Swine & Jewels and Drugs are one of the most abominable things she's ever done.

Also, Zedd was on such a roll during 13-14 she should have shared a credit with him. Maybe it was not going to be as big as Break Free or Clarity but at least it could have gotten more attention.

I LOVE Jewels n Drugs :D Swine, MJH and Fashion on the other hand are unbearable. Donatella is objectively awful but I'm in the mood for it sometimes.

That album truly was a reverse Warholian experience.

for better or worse that song is ALL GAGA :disco: slap honey on your pancake indeed. Words to live by.

I like the video, but I would have gone with "Artpop" or "Gypsy", maybe "Fashion" would have worked with the same video treatment.

One of her best songs... I thought it was a single?

It was. I think they mean "Should it really have been a single?". I was confused too.

I really like this song, the middle eight and the DEUTSCH countdown at the end are QUITE SOMETHING, but it's a bit of a THEMATICAL RETREAD of Do What You Want (fuck me please, I'm so hot etc) which I don't think is what people wanted to hear from her at this point.

I love Gypsy, but I think it would have been a terrible choice of single. It feels far too gay-interest only to me. I think ARTPOP or Fashion! would have made the best singles.

I would much rather have had Gypsy as a single but to be honest the campaign had been such a mess up until that point I’m not sure if anything could have saved it.

GUY was very much in the vein of the Gaga that people knew and loved from years before so I understand it as a choice.

I always sang "Italian, Asian, Dubai"

she's lucky that song was in the PRE WOKE era because I'm not sure she'd get away with claiming to be Asian now. But working "don't speak German but I try" in was a touch of genius.

Sexxx Dreams with Rihanna was never on the cards, she probably just played her the song.
However, it WAS originally planned with a featuring from Robin Thicke (who was a huge thing back in 2013 with Blurred Lines). Thank God it didn‘t happen. :D

I love Gypsy, but I think it would have been a terrible choice of single. It feels far too gay-interest only to me. I think ARTPOP or Fashion! would have made the best singles.
"Gypsy" seems more universal in appeal than "G.U.Y." (or ARTPOP or Fashion! for that matter). I think "Do What U Want" tided the straights over enough to release something a bit more camp anyway. (although the X-Tina remix is probably the gayest thing she's put her name to)

(although the X-Tina remix is probably the gayest thing she's put her name to)

gaga_jockstraps.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom