Sir David Amess MP DEAD

Such poor taste.

If I was the MP for Truro or Kettering I'd be SHITTING MYSELF.

The actual 'town' of Southend is a big nothing really. It's a seaside town, with little else to show.

The extended area, which is big enough to make a city area is more of a conurbation of two or three unimpressive towns.

At least Colchester has a castle and a prestigious Roman history. What does Southend have? A WETHERSPOONS?
They have the world's longest pier. Yeah. A victorian novelty.

Last edited:
It wasn’t a matter of taste. The usual style didn’t make sense at the time when none of us had heard of this guy. And it wasn’t (and still isn’t) in the Cemetery - the news story isn’t about this guy’s death, it’s about an MP being stabbed to death.

Mods seem a bit gung ho fucking with thread titles these days and putting words in the mouths of the original poster.

David Amess MP would have loved this jpeg of him as a mad ape :(

• Wow
Reactions: COB
Oh for fuck's sake :D We really do need some sort of NFT/crypto bullshit thread, because there's so much absolute nonsense associated with it all.

God for an awful moment when I saw this bumped I thought that by-election was happening today!

Not sure if this is the right thread or not but...

I just read that David's killer has (rightfully)been given a whole life sentence. Others that have recieved a whole life sentence are the murderers of Jo Cox and Sarah Everard.
Last week I was reading about the killer of Sabrina Nessa, he got a life sentence (minimum 36 years). Not a whole life sentence.

So what makes one murderer get a whole life and others just life?

Is it to do with pre-meditation and/or showing remorse? No idea, just guessing.

Not sure if this is the right thread or not but...

I just read that David's killer has (rightfully)been given a whole life sentence. Others that have recieved a whole life sentence are the murderers of Jo Cox and Sarah Everard.
Last week I was reading about the killer of Sabrina Nessa, he got a life sentence (minimum 36 years). Not a whole life sentence.

So what makes one murderer get a whole life and others just life?
To be eligible for a whole life order, the killer has to be aged 21 or over and the seriousness of the offence is considered to be 'exceptionally high'. Things like the murder of two or more people with a substantial degree of planning, the killing of a child with a sexual motive, murder for political purposes and murders by an offender who has already been convicted of murder in the past will lead to a case falling into that category. The killers of Jo Cox and David Amess are likely to have been considered exceptionally serious because they were committed to advance a political cause. I'm not sure about Sarah Everard's killer, but I would guess he got a whole life order because he was in a position of trust as a serving police officer. The killing of Sabina Nessa, whilst appalling, must not have been considered to have any of the specific aggravating factors to justify a whole life order.

To be eligible for a whole life order, the killer has to be aged 21 or over and the seriousness of the offence is considered to be 'exceptionally high'. Things like the murder of two or more people with a substantial degree of planning, the killing of a child with a sexual motive, murder for political purposes and murders by an offender who has already been convicted of murder in the past will lead to a case falling into that category. The killers of Jo Cox and David Amess are likely to have been considered exceptionally serious because they were committed to advance a political cause. I'm not sure about Sarah Everard's killer, but I would guess he got a whole life order because he was in a position of trust as a serving police officer. The killing of Sabina Nessa, whilst appalling, must not have been considered to have any of the specific aggravating factors to justify a whole life order.
I think this is exactly it, there is a degree of subjectivity to it in absence of a specific rubric. It seems to be multiple killings, those who abused trust (police etc.), and political / terrorist killings are likely to attract a whole life tariff.

There’s well under 100 prisoners in the UK on whole life tariffs, so the majority of convicted murderers are on minimum terms instead.

Agree it is horrible to be discussing degrees of seriousness when it comes to murder, but it seems that is how the courts will look at it.

Interesting thank you. Although I'm not sure I agree with the principal, murder is murder really, whether you're a police officer or you kill someone in politics or you kill a teacher. You've still killed someone in cold blood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom