Slant Ranks All 82 Madonna Singles

I don't remember that. It was nominated for best song from a movie in the MTV movie awards next year, so it seems quite weird if they did that on purpose. God knows.

It wasn’t forever. They played it in the end but for a period it just wasn’t there. I remember their European Top 20 would be “and that was number 15. Now at 13, here is....”- I only found out it was Madonna being skipped as they had the full chart on Teletext!

(This was MTV Europe by the way)

Oh and Playground > Remember

The video for the latter is SHIT too.

I used to watch MTV Europe too, and you're probably right because I don't remember much, they had the Braun MTV top 20 countdown back then with Rebecca something, if I'm not wrong. The thing is I don't remember that video at all on MTV, and I was that watching 24 hours that summer.

Christ, I haven't thought of that name for about 25 years, so why did it just come straight back into my head?

MTV Europe. *sigh*

I reckon about 99.3% of gays of a certain age in the UK have wanked off over Eros Ramazzotti in the Più Bella Cosa video, thanks to MTV Europe.

MTV Europe. *sigh*

I reckon about 99.3% of gays of a certain age in the UK have wanked off over Eros Ramazzotti in the Più Bella Cosa video, thanks to MTV Europe.

Count me in! But think it was Cosa Della Vita for me .

I absolutely ADORE I'll Remember. A Poundland version of an Enya song if you will :disco:

4 or 5 CD set of the whole fucking lot, in chronological order plz.

Oh I agree with One More Chance over 4 Minutes, but the rest of the list is absolute crap. As if the Madame X are better than anything other than MDNA and that other one.

I’ll Remember is one of those songs that are fine but seem to go on forever. I’d never actively listen to it.

Plus the no. 1 is clearly wrong. "Vogue" is a masterpiece of course, but it is not her best single, let alone The Greatest Pop Song of All Time (which, of course, is "Like a Prayer").

Plus the no. 1 is clearly wrong. "Vogue" is a masterpiece of course, but it is not her best single, let alone The Greatest Pop Song of All Time (which, of course, is "Like a Prayer").
I don't know. I feel that in recent years, Vogue has eclipsed Like A Prayer as the definitive Marge anthem. From the Superbowl opening, to the resurgence of ball culture via Paris is Burning, Pose and Drag Race, it feels like her most important cultural moment. And let's face it, it's a 16/10 stone cold BOP. As is Like A Prayer.

I do question any list that places Hung Up above Music, however. Music was so innovative, fresh and completely out-of-the-box. It tore up the pop landscape in a way that Hung Up didn't come close to doing.

I do question any list that places Hung Up above Music, however. Music was so innovative, fresh and completely out-of-the-box. It tore up the pop landscape in a way that Hung Up didn't come close to doing.
Yes but it was probably written by A GAY and lord knows how much Hung Up did that for US :disco:

This might be a bit sacrilegious but Hung Up really hasn't aged all that well for me. It's essentially a novelty single to my ears at this point. Nice that it bought her another couple of years, but that's about it.

This might be a bit sacrilegious but Hung Up really hasn't aged all that well for me. It's essentially a novelty single to my ears at this point. Nice that it bought her another couple of years, but that's about it.
How do you feel about the rest of the album 15 years later? As far as 2000s Madonna goes, I would say Hard Candy has aged the worst but that was to be expected.

I've had a very complicated relationship with Post-Confessions Madonna tbh. I think Hard Candy was the first album of hers I didn't bother buying but then MDNA came along :side-eye:, eventually I bought Celebration and that's it.
I've tried streaming Hard Candy, and I tried to like it but I seriously can't ok?

Speaking of Celebration, if that hadn't happen, has anyone thought of what an Immcaluate Collection/GHV3 tracklist would have looked like? :zombie:

Covering from 2002-2012

1. American Life
2. Hollywood
3. Love Profusion
4. Nothing Fails
5. Hung Up
6. Sorry
7. Get Together
8. Jump
9. 4 Minutes (Feat. Timbaland & Justin timberlake)
10. Give it 2 Me
11. Miles Away
12. GAYLUV
13. Girl Gone Wild :disco:
14. Turn Up The Radio
15. New track and it would probably be Revolver :disco:
Bonus Traxxx
16. Superstar
17. Die Another Day

Oh dear I don't hate that (aside from GAYLUV/GGW)

Was "Hey You" an intentional omission ? :eyes:

‘Justify My Love’ at TWELVE is a bit of a disgrace. It sounded like nothing else at the time (well, nothing I was aware of) and is still utterly captivating to say the VERY least, not to mention SEEDY

SO NOW WHAT :horny:

It is quite amazing BUT it hasn't much of a tune and I don't think it has really endured at all in Joe Public's mind.

Also, am I the only one who thinks “I’ll Remember” is very very average? It was a massive hit here, like six weeks at number two,but I always wished the superior “This Used to be my Playground” was more remembered.

Yeah, I'll Remember is cute, but I was disappointed at the time when I heard Pat Leonard wrote it with her. It's beneath them. It's fine, but shouldn't be anywhere near the Top 20 of her singles.

Am I the only person who remembers the MTV boycott of I’ll Remember? They literally used to skip it on chart countdowns and everything.

I still don’t know why.

Maybe it was the lingering post-Erotica/SEX/Body of Evidence MADONNA IS POISON vibe in the media?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom