Sophie Ellis Bextor’s Friday Night Disco

I've been burned too many times before not to fully expect a collapse to #14 by Friday. But it is heartening that she appears to be holding up.

Move This Mountain wasn't REALLY a single, was it?

Music Gets The Best of Me got the video and all the airplay.

Get Over You did ;)

I did read she was about 3k clear of #10 originally so there is a chance she will hang on.

Oh, well that just goes to show how little Move This Mountain resonated, either way!

Anyway, she confirms in an interview today that she hates IWCY more.

https://www.officialcharts.com/char...-is-a-challenge-i-take-very-seriously__31651/

Which is the best Sophie Ellis-Bextor song?
"The song I’m most proud of is Youngblood. It’s a more romantic song for me. It’s all very lovely to do the slightly arched eyebrow, sheeny-pop dance stuff, but it’s been really nice to write a song that was a bit more honest and open. I really enjoy singing it as a result because it’s been a nice colour to add to my palette."

And your least favourite?
"This is easy for me. It’s a song called I Won’t Change You. If I’d had access to the backing track I would have sung it during the Kitchen Disco, but god knows what happened to my second album. I think Universal lost the masters because I have hardly any backing tracks from that record, which is really annoying.

"The lyrics in the second verse are really bad: ‘I used to change my style like I changed my mind / I tried to change a tyre but I'm not that way inclined / Tried to change my figure, my diet too / I'll still change my underwear if that's okay with you.’ They weren’t even holding lyrics; all I remember is that I’d just started going out with Richard, I was very distracted… I thought, I’ll do a song with comedy in it, but comedy is tricky, isn’t it? I feel bad because I think the chorus deserved a better verse, I don’t mind the chorus at all. The video is pretty cringey as well. That blonde hair!"

Move This Mountain wasn't REALLY a single, was it?

Music Gets The Best of Me got the video and all the airplay.

was BUZZ single an existing concept back in 2002?

despite NO EXPENSE spared but I remember the video getting decent airplay late at night on MTV. Get Over You was played more during primetime :disco:

As much as the charts are littered with age old hit compilations, what new ones have we had this year or in the next couple of weeks?

I can't believe she managed to stay ahead of Ariana Grande!

Fantastic result, hopefully it manages to stay in the charts over Christmas, but even if it does a Mel C and crashes out next week, still a great result for her.

OH MY ACTUAL STUPID GOD AT NOT USING THE FREEMASONS MIX OF BITTERSWEET THOUGH

The album has been revealing this week how much I’d forgotten how good Today The Sun’s On Us is.

I think at the time it suffered slightly because I was put out that If You Go was passed over but it really is one of the highlights of her singles discography

Today The Sun's On Us is BEAUTIFUL, and ALMOST the sort of song 6Music would have happily played at the time had it been sung by Wolf Alice or a similar sort of act, it's not a million years away from Don't Delete The Kisses AT ALL.

The REAL ENEMY is Me And My Imagination, which was FINE but a CHOICE when If You Go was RIGHT THERE! Very much SEB on auto-pilot at a time when she didn't need to be, and it's chart position shows it.

I think at the time it suffered slightly because I was put out that If You Go was passed over but it really is one of the highlights of her singles discography

It was totally out of sync with that album and, yes, If You Go is one of the great lost singles ever. But, let’s face it, it was never going to change THAT album’s fortunes.

Nor China Heart for that matter :disco:

Today The Sun's On Us is BEAUTIFUL, and ALMOST the sort of song 6Music would have happily played at the time had it been sung by Wolf Alice or a similar sort of act, it's not a million years away from Don't Delete The Kisses AT ALL.

The REAL ENEMY is Me And My Imagination, which was FINE but a CHOICE when If You Go was RIGHT THERE! Very much SEB on auto-pilot at a time when she didn't need to be, and it's chart position shows it.

THERE YOU GO!

She was good on It Takes Two tonight though she seemed a little lonely. I've got used to seeing various children hanging off her during performances.

Also would have been nice to have her on the panel rather than betrayer of gays Alexandra Burke, Gyles Brandreth or Bobby Seagull who were not especially informative.

I must say, it annoys me that Today The Sun's On Us is one of her best videos, but it's uploaded on YouTube in some sort of LOW DEFINITION SQUASHED RATIO!

Surely these people should have a little more CARE about their art :D
The final moments on the Icelandic hills are gorgeous but not even correct spec!

Im sure she’ll sell those extra 900 copies over the duration of this album though x

Last edited:
YOU MONSTER!

giphy.gif

Those are very healthy sales though, and pleased she made the top 10
The market positively crackles with festive cheer. Sales overall are up 5.36% to stand at 1,994,727 (a new high for 2020) while physical sales hit a 46-week high of 556,584, up 20.21% week on week to now command 27.9% of the market.

A fairly hefty drop to #82 this week sadly, though I suppose in this climate even remaining in the top 100 is an achievement.

#40 on sales (#42 physicals, #31 paid downloads) so 'twas streaming that did her in, predictably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom