Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Get Over You

Ay-ay-ay-aye?

• Total voters
One of the weaker singles from that album and STILL a 10/10. My girl Sophie seriously brought it.

The video was rather striking at the time. I've had the hook stuck in my head for the last few months so a revisit is long overdue when I have the energy. She was on a roll at the time. Sadly her turn as Karen Parry with the Flip n' Fill remix of Music Gets the Best of Me didn't keep it going commercially.

It doesn’t live up to what came before (or after) but it’s still a great song. It doesn’t sound like the big hit she needed to follow up Murder.

Yeah I loved it at the time, but it's definitely slightly lower-tier Sophie.

an 08 if I'm being generous - hardly one of her best singles, but it does the job.

TOP 10 SOPH

01 If You Go
02 Murder on the Dancefloor
03 Today the Sun's On Us
04 Groovejet (If This Ain't Love)
05 Take Me Home
06 Can't Have it All
07 Bittersweet
08 Me & My Imagination
09 Crying at the Discotheque
10 Music Gets the Best of Me

Top 5 Singles

Catch You
Today The Sun’s On Us
Bittersweet
Love Is A Camera
The Deer & The Wolf

Top 5 Deep Cuts

I Believe
Another Day
Love Is Here
Synchronised
Don’t Shy Away

Reactions: RJN
for the collectors among us, double vinyl editions of Shoot From the Hip and Trip the Light Fantastic up for preorder now

with a lovely six (6!) bonus tracks included on Trip

Top 10 off the cuff:

1) Death of Love - am i the only one who loves this?
2) Synchronised
3) Mixed Up World
4) Murder on the Dance Floor
5) Wild Forever
6) Today the Sun's on Us
7) Groovejet
8) Here Comes the Rapture
9) Me and My Imagination
10) Catch You

1. Today The Sun's On Us :disco:
2. Can't Have It All :(:(
3. Love Is Here
4. Not Giving Up On Love
5. Murder On The Dancefloor
6. Synchronised
7. By Chance
8. Catch You
9. Bittersweet
10. Mixed Up World
11. Take Me Home
12. Is It Any Wonder
13. Until The Stars Collide
14. Wild Forever (F9 Remix)
15. I Am Not Good At Not Getting What I Want

What a fucking QUEEN. Trip The Light Fantastic really is a FANTASTIC album

Oddly, the only album I've listened to in full is Familia, and I rather like it. Is Trip the Light Fantastic to be investigated next?

"Down with Love" should have been a single, never mind an album track.

I put "Music Gets the Best of Me" in the same category as "I Won't Change You" and "Mixed Up World." All contributed to Sophie's commercial decline. She started out as a Top 5 singles artist but "... Best of Me" signaled the end of that.

Oddly, the only album I've listened to in full is Familia, and I rather like it. Is Trip the Light Fantastic to be investigated next?

I think so. I would do that one, an then Read My Lips, and then Make a Scene

such a GORGEOUS song! she really tapped into melancholy glitz extremely well on this album.

though I'm fool enough to love when you don't want me
I'm wise enough to know that you will always haunt me

:( This line kills me

One of her best - I really thought this was going to #1 when released and was surprised when it 'only' managed #3

for the collectors among us, double vinyl editions of Shoot From the Hip and Trip the Light Fantastic up for preorder now

with a lovely six (6!) bonus tracks included on Trip

The Instagram posts seem to be gone. Depending on additions I am potentially very interested in Trip...

This is the proposed vinyl tracklist for Trip:

Tracklist

SIDE A
Catch You
Me and My Imagination
Today The Sun’s On Us
New York City Lights

SIDE B
If I Can’t Dance
The Distance Between Us
If You Go
Only One

SIDE C
Love Is Here
New Flame
China Heart
What Have We Started
Can't Have It All - Bonus Track

SIDE D
Supersonic - Bonus Track
Down with Love - Bonus Track
Move To The Music - Bonus Track
Here’s to You - Bonus Track
Duel - Bonus Track

Four proper bonus tracks really then. I'm still very tempted, though an unmixed Dear Jimmy would have been wonderful.

I’ve gone in for all three. Yes, would have been wonderful to get Dear Jimmy. Probably long forgotten.

Read My Lips is quite light bonus wise, I thought, though not sure what there actually is.

Listening for TTLF for the first time right now - "The Distance Between Us" immediately feels really special.

Reactions: RJN
One of her best - I really thought this was going to #1 when released and was surprised when it 'only' managed #3

Same. Surprised so many are saying they don't like it much these days. The 'think you're crazy, up the wall, goodbye Mister Know It All' hook is perfection. And I also loved 'Move This Mountain' that it was double A-sided with.

Same. Surprised so many are saying they don't like it much these days. The 'think you're crazy, up the wall, goodbye Mister Know It All' hook is perfection. And I also loved 'Move This Mountain' that it was double A-sided with.

Yes it was just so bloody catchy and I remember thinking she was pulling out the stops with the video and this was the song that was going to cement her right up there with the pop princesses. The hooks reminded me of Kylie and the Fever era. Was this a Cathy Dennis track?

I'm so back on board with this one since the great SEB comeback of 2023/2024.

You drive me crazy, up the wall
GOODBYE Mister know-it-all :disco:

Interesting that it has significantly higher streams and youtube views than Take Me Home, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom