Spellling - The Turning Wheel

We officially have a new banshee in town :disco:
This album is quietly getting rave reviews and lots of album of the year rumblings.

I QUITE LIKED her last album Mazy Fly (and it's fabulous artwork :disco: ) but it was a bit NOODLING. This is a clear step up.
It's giving me shades of: Joanna Newsom's Ys, early Kate Bush, Tori's Boys For Pele, Dead Can Dance's The Serpents Egg, early The Cure whilst also being very uniquely Spellling.

The album is also split into two halves Above/Below, of which I vastly prefer the second MISERABLE and DARK part 'Below'.

Here's one of the singles Boys at School, but really it all works for me so much better as a long player than individual tracks.

A well-regarded YouTube reviewer gave the album a perfect TEN which caused a minor sensation:

Last edited:
I've only heard Boys at School but this review (and Fantano's) means I am interested

This album just gets better and better with each listen for me. It really does feel like a potential all-time classic :shock:
Her voice on a few of the tracks does take some getting used to though, and as mentioned the second 'Below' half is MUCH more me tonally than the first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom