Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life

SLAM IT TO THE LEFT

• Total voters
I think it might actually be quite LOW in my SG top 10. Still majestic though. Doesn't quite hark me back the same way Wannabe and Say You'll Be There do.

It’s not my fave Spice Girls single but it’s still an easy 10.

I genuinely don’t understand how anyone could watch the white-hot chaotic hen party energy of that Olympics performance and feel nothing.

SPICE UP YER LIFE SPICE UP YER LIFE SPICE UP YER LIFE!

I enjoyed the Olympics reunion, that was fun.

The original song however is just novelty pop and that's just not a genre for me. It sounds like Agadoo (google it, youngsters)

@Diddy proving he is in fact a UFO

it’s UAP
I was a big Spice Fan at the time, and I remember listening to this premiere on the Pepsi chart show on some rinky-dink portable FM radio I got from saving ringpulls :D

anyway I digress, I thought it was a bit of a mess. I do like how much of a blockbuster it is but it’s just a chorus for me. Please tell me they don’t sing “yellow man in Timbuktu” anymore??

I think it might actually be quite LOW in my SG top 10. Still majestic though. Doesn't quite hark me back the same way Wannabe and Say You'll Be There do.

I was walking past a family earlier in M&S and a girl that must have been about 7 or 8 was skipping up the aisles singing Wannabe and my heart just absolutely melted.

The actual song is thinner than a sheet of Andrex that's been under a steamroller but it's a great *record*. It's all in the sound, the arrangement and the delivery. It's a character piece and still works as such. But 'a great song' - nah.

The actual song is thinner than a sheet of Andrex that's been under a steamroller but it's a great *record*. It's all in the sound, the arrangement and the delivery. It's a character piece and still works as such. But 'a great song' - nah.

What's a 'great song'? It's a massive pop banger that objectively works gangbusters in a live setting and loads of people remember it almost 30 years later. That's a great song to me.

What's a 'great song'? It's a massive pop banger that objectively works gangbusters in a live setting and loads of people remember it almost 30 years later. That's a great song to me.

Well, the lyrics are piffle. However, they're hugely enjoyable piffle and, yes, great fun to bellow along with; we know it's not technically possible to "moonwalk the foxtrot" and harder still to "polka the salsa" but that's not the point. On the level upon which they're intended, lines like "all you need is positivity" are absolutely fine but they don't represent an apex in songwriting.

Given that most of the music I listen to doesn't have any words at all and that I love me some of that blips and bleeps electronic stuffs, I'm probably on a sticky wicket but I think SUYL is one of their lesser songs; a two chord trick designed more as a series of exciting moments than as a whole. Still, to paraphrase Paul McCartney, it's great, it sold, it's bloody Spice Up Your Life, shurrup.

funky - pop music is the hardest genre to get right, so if you can’t distinguish between Agadoo and this then it’s just that you need more training

funky - pop music is the hardest genre to get right, so if you can’t distinguish between Agadoo and this then it’s just that you need more training

Or, you could accept that it’s okay for me to not like a song that you like? :disco:

believe me I’ve had to learn that on here :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom