Spinning Around

Do you like it like this?

• Total voters
It's not quite a 10, because it is a BIT CHEAP and CHEERFUL.

It has however stood the test of time and been used to great effect down the years!

Someone we went to Brighton Pride with in oh nine was vocal about being nonplussed about Spinning Around and I almost cut a bitch. But of course it went OFF when she played it and he of course loved every second.

It just falls short of a 10 for me as there so many better songs in her catalogue and it has a whiff of WEDDING DISCO.

Yes, she has better songs. Quite a few on the parent album. Still a 10, though.

It was perfect for what it did but it’s usually been a 7 for me. Only recent years have made me realise it’s an 8. It’s certainly not a 10 when you make comparison to the disco highs around it and, let’s face it, it is a bit HEN DO NIGHT OUT.

I like that Kylie is smart enough to split her career up. This, the Locomotion, Especially etc are primed for her ITV/ hen do crowd. She has an indie set, a gay set...

QUEEN OF VARIETY AND KNOWING HER AUDIENCES!

It's not bad by any means but I've always found it a tad overrated. I prefer every single song from her 'Disco' album.

I love it for what it did for her more than how it sounds. Although I loved “indie” Kylie she is born to be a fabulous pop star so this regained that mantle for her, created a buzz and she’s just ran and ran with it.

I have no real inclination to play it but yeah absolutely would be / have been into it live.

I never much cared for it at the time, to the point that I was surprised when I saw it at #1 on CD:UK. I think my favourite official single from the Light Years era was, oddly, Please Stay.

I came to appreciate Spinning Around a lot more after Glastonbury.

Reactions: RJN
What everyone else has said. It was such a fantastic event for her, but I prefer others from around the time.

I remember it hating it at the time, which made "On a Night Like This" whisk me off to gay heaven all the more when it came next.

Delighted it did for her what it needed to, though. I'm still not sure I understand how or why at the time, but it doesn't matter!

9/10, but only because On a Night like this, Please Stay, So Now Goodbye, and Disco Down are all 11/10

Your Disco Needs You is of course so good numbers can’t be used

I love this moment in her career and what it defines, but its NEVER really quite hit the spot for me. It is what it is - a perfectly decent pop single, but its not one of her 10/10 tracks for me.

Delighted it did for her what it needed to, though. I'm still not sure I understand how or why at the time, but it doesn't matter!
As much as I love it, I get the not knowing quite why. I think it was a huge testament to the public's appetite for her as a pure pop star, and the kind of good will she elicits to this day.

I had such goodwill for her hitting number one with Spinning Around but it was On A Night Like This that proved she was back as a serious proposition rather than it being a one off novelty.

When did the album snippets leak (or possibly officially released?) I know we had Spinning Around earlier in the year, and then OANLT a week or two before the album. I'm guessing we heard them slightly ahead of the release of OANLT.

TEARS OF DISCO JOY etc

When did the album snippets leak (or possibly officially released?) I know we had Spinning Around earlier in the year, and then OANLT a week or two before the album. I'm guessing we heard them slightly ahead of the release of OANLT.

TEARS OF DISCO JOY etc
Wasn’t On A Night Like This quite a bit before? We had Kids before the album was released, no? I have August for OANLT and October for the album in my head, which I’m now about to check.

ONE MOMENT PLEASE

According to Wikipedia, OANLT 11/9/2000, album 25/09/2000, Kids 9/10/2000

Not to in any way denigrate Spinning Around or what it did for her, but she actually had a pretty clean run at that #1 when it happened.

She dethroned a fairly weak chart topper (Black Legend’s You See The Trouble With Me) and the next highest new entry was David Gray’s Babylon at #5. The song that was probably perceived to be her biggest competition, Girl Thing’s Last One Standing, wound up tanking at #8.

Spinning Around actually dropped out of the top ten in its third week, which is a little flimsy even for the manic turnover of 2000.

It’s interesting to think about what would have happened in another world where she has more competition and winds up going in at #5 or something. Does she still get CGYOOMH or does it go to a bigger name? Thankfully we’ll never know...

Not to in any way denigrate Spinning Around or what it did for her, but she actually had a pretty clean run at that #1 when it happened.

She dethroned a fairly weak chart topper (Black Legend’s You See The Trouble With Me) and the next highest new entry was David Gray’s Babylon at #5. The song that was probably perceived to be her biggest competition, Girl Thing’s Last One Standing, wound up tanking at #8.

Spinning Around actually dropped out of the top ten in its third week, which is a little flimsy even for the manic turnover of 2000.

It’s interesting to think about what would have happened in another world where she has more competition and winds up going in at #5 or something. Does she still get CGYOOMH or does it go to a bigger name? Thankfully we’ll never know...
It's also worth remembering where she was coming from at that time as a commercial force.

It's also worth remembering where she was coming from at that time as a commercial force.

Absolutely. The context behind that single is massive. And OANLT going in at number 2 cemented the whole thing.

And considering SEB supposedly turned down CGYOOMH, I don’t think this is relevant either…

Oh for sure. And for all that pontificating I just did, I certainly remember it feeling like a big deal at the time.

I don't think the impact of the hot pants thing on creating a media frenzy can be underestimated. Once she actually had the #1, it didn't really matter if the song stuck around for very long, the comeback narrative was secured and she obviously played it beautifully from there.

I guess what I'm saying is thank God they snuck her in before The Real Slim Shady landed the following week. That would have been truly heartbreaking.

As a friend of mine is always WONT TO ASKING whenever this gets brought up - "is THAT THE ONE that goes 'I'M/SPINNING AROUND'?"

I stand by it

I've always found it to be very basic, cheap and tinny Heart FM handbag fodder, which did very well off the back of a lot of media coverage of her hotpants.

On A Night Like This would have been a 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom