Star Trek: Lower Decks

dUb

AH AH AH
Pronouns
He/Him
New animated comedy series, focusing on the crew who have the more mundane jobs on starships

Not the healthiest like to dislike ratio on that video (2:1)

I have a feeling that this will be the sort of thing that doesn't really WORK in a quick trailer (or maybe that's just wishful thinking as I didn't laugh once), but I'll probably give it a couple of episodes to see what it's like.

It surely can’t be any worse than Disco.

And if it is, it can always be decanonised like the original animated series.

I enjoyed it! I was expecting it to ape Rick and Morty, but it feels more like Futurama with a heavy dose of TNG-era nostalgia. The first episode does a nice job of introducing the characters while also having a formulaic Trek plot happening in the background (complete with a classic extremely quick and convenient resolution to the threat). It wasn't laugh a minute, but there were some chuckles and I found it far more charming than I expected to - I'll definitely be watching next week's episode.

I should've been posting in here more, but I just watched the finale and I LOVE THIS SHOW, the characters really grew on me very quickly and it's just full of fun little moments. Last week's episode where they did a 'movie' version of the show on the holodeck (complete with a Shakespeare-quoting villain and ridiculous lens flares everywhere) was particularly great :D I'm still amazed at no broadcaster or streaming service picking it up in the UK!

Yes shame it's not been shown in the UK. Did I read it had been cancelled or am I making that up? I'm not sure the reviews were exactly stunning, other than @COB's?

It's definitely getting a second season :disco: I won't say anything else due to spoilers, but a particular character who shows up in the finale will also appear again apparently :o

Yes shame it's not been shown in the UK. Did I read it had been cancelled or am I making that up? I'm not sure the reviews were exactly stunning, other than @COB's?
Coming to Prime Video in Europe Jan 22nd! It's very good, and definitely grew in popularity over the course of the season. Near unanimous praise by the finale, from what I saw.

Coming to Prime Video in Europe Jan 22nd! It's very good, and definitely grew in popularity over the course of the season. Near unanimous praise by the finale, from what I saw.

Oh yay! Thanks for the intel.

I've been watching Final Space on Netflix instead and it's very good!

Reactions: dUb
Just finished watching the season! It was good, some episodes better than others but the last two were really strong, I think because they actually became quite Trek-y.

I wonder if Mariner and Boimler will stay split away from each other in season 2 and whether Riker and Troi will continue to feature (they sure get around the franchise, don't they?). I'm assuming there will be a demotion in Boimler's future :D

Reactions: COB
Apparently
Boimler will still be on the Titan at the start of season two, Riker is confirmed to appear but Troi isn't :(

I mean that's what they've said in terms of voice actors, it's possible the character could appear but not say anything :o

I mean that's what they've said in terms of voice actors, it's possible the character could appear but not say anything :o
Star Trek Eye Roll GIF

• Haha
I'm really enjoying the new series of this! I'm really into the characters now and the Star Trek episode references are off the chart. It really found its stride

I tried with the first season of this but the main female character was just insufferable.

I'm not sure it's worth a new thread but I've started watching the OTHER animated series, Star Trek Prodigy. Definitely aimed at a much younger demographic (it's literally airing on Nickelodeon in the US) so best going into it with that in mind, but after the first episode it seems like it'll be a pretty fun show - and the return of Kate Mulgrew as (a hologram of) Janeway is obviously a massive draw :disco: There is something about it that feels slightly more Star Wars than Star Trek, but I think that's partly down to them being able to have more non-humanoid characters since it's an animated show.

And speaking of returning cast members, I was convinced about watching it when I read that a recently aired episode featured none other than
Gates McFadden as Beverly Crusher :shock:

• Wow
Reactions: dUb
I watched the first episode and thought I GET THE GIST. Definitely agree that there's more of a Star Wars feel, I didn't feel the need to keep watching but COB's spoiler and the fact that the legendary icon Odo appears too is enough to get me back at least for that ep

I think it'll be on Paramount+ when it eventually launches over here, but I'm using nefarious means to see it :eyes:

The Prodigy mid-season finale was great! I've really enjoyed how they've developed the cast from a bunch of random strangers into something that sort-of kind-of makes sense as a Starfleet crew, if you squint (which is the whole point of course). They seem to have wrapped up most of the story - more so than I was expecting actually - so I'm pretty curious where it'll go when it returns in the autumn. On that note, SCREAM at
the final scene bringing the actual, non-hologram Admiral Kathryn Janeway into the story :disco: And hologram Janeway getting a GOTH MAKEOVER for a while during this two-parter was fabulous too.

Oh possibly! There's a chance it could still be on Amazon in the UK depending on the agreements they had in place before P+ launched here, but I wouldn't bank on it :(

Also, crossover happening on Strange New Worlds season two:

I have no idea whether it's going to be animated, live action or a mix :shock:

Also, crossover happening on Strange New Worlds season two:

I have no idea whether it's going to be animated, live action or a mix :shock:

Apparently it’ll be live action! :o

Also this is back for Season 3! Always such a fun watch

• Love
Just watched the Prodigy season finale (season one having been split into two halves), and what a wonderful show it's developed into! Still with the caveat that it's aimed at a younger audience, but it's the Voyager sequel series I never realised I wanted. I did have to laugh at the finale involving
the cast getting to Earth... and then spending a decent amount of time there in a satisfying way. Trying to right a wrong, maybe :tongueout:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom