Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

A worthy finish?

• Total voters

COB

The ⭐ 👹
Here's the first teaser trailer:

I had a couple of issues with The Last Jedi, but this looks like quite a spectacular ending to the story. That shot of Leia! :( And that laugh at the end had better mean the REAL queen of SW will be back mincing around a fully armed and operational battle station :disco:

Final trailer:

Horses in space! Well they're probably not in space but... HORSES IN SPACE :disco:

omg that melancholy Star Wars theme at the end gave me goosebumps.

I've somehow managed to get through life (a mystery in itself) without watching any of these, but that's my feeds flooded again and that same poignant shot of Carrie Fisher in both those trailers is pulling me in as well.

It really is so sad, by all accounts this one was planned to be HER film before circumstances forced the plans to change :( Though I did hear a rumour that there's a lot more of Leia in it than the repurposed footage from The Force Awakens that was previously reported, and that they may have gone back on their previous insistence that they wouldn't do any CGI stuff to bring her back. Not sure how I feel about it, though I'm sure Carrie would get a laugh out of still being a Lucasfilm puppet even in death...

Did she film any scenes for the movie before she passed away?

I mostly really enjoyed The Force Awakens, was appalled by The Last Jedi and am somewhat hopeful for this one. I'll go to a midnight screening and see for myself!

I still feel that Rogue One is actually the one that felt most like the old Star Wars to me. Cracking film!

So is this the actual end? I'll only see it if that's the case. If Disney Plus are going to keep making various rubbish extended universe spin offs then it can fuck off.

Of course they'll keep cashing in. There's already the Mandalorian TV show right now, and more films will surely follow.

This is the end of the original cast character arcs, I'd imagine that's pretty much it. Maybe Daisy Ridley, Oscar Isaac and John Boyega won't be back again either, but I wouldn't bank on it.

I'm going to a midnight screening tomorrow.

So is this the actual end? I'll only see it if that's the case. If Disney Plus are going to keep making various rubbish extended universe spin offs then it can fuck off.
AS IF!

I really enjoyed The Last Jedi, so I’m quite excited about this. I’ve just rewatched all the films over the last month so I’m a bit overexposed to it, but looking forward to the conclusion of this chapter.

I still feel that Rogue One is actually the one that felt most like the old Star Wars to me. Cracking film!

did they bring out more of that? I might've missed it but I thought it was gonna be a trilogy. highly enjoyed it

AS IF!

I really enjoyed The Last Jedi, so I’m quite excited about this. I’ve just rewatched all the films over the last month so I’m a bit overexposed to it, but looking forward to the conclusion of this chapter.
The Last Jedi was dreadful for me. Painfully boring. But Star Wars isn't really my bag - I've never even seen episodes 2 and 3.

did they bring out more of that? I might've missed it but I thought it was gonna be a trilogy. highly enjoyed it

Sadly, no! It was just a one-off. I guess pretty much all the heroes died at the end of it, so it had no way forward. It was SO enjoyable though!

Diego Luna's character from Rogue One is getting a Disney+ series apparently, so that's something! The Mandalorian series feels similar-ish in tone to RO as well (to me at least), in that it has a bit more focus on the seedier side of the Star Wars galaxy.

It was going to be a trilogy of spin offs, Solo being the second. But after that didn’t do so well they canned the rest.

Just back from a midnight screening. About on a par with the last one. In some ways, even worse. Perhaps Johnson set the bar so low, Abrams didn't even try. It feels like a rushed mess without a single memorable or exciting scene. I was aching for the whole thing to just end.

I thought the first half was an overstuffed, senseless mess but it won me round at the end. It’s pure fan service, there wasn’t an original thought in its head, but in the end it felt like a nice elegy to the original trilogy.

My biggest complaint is that virtually nothing in this film felt like it particularly built on what had happened in the previous two. Palpatine’s return came out of nowhere and made precious little sense, and the main plot was just an endless McGuffin hunt.

It really ret-conned Last Jedi to the point of rudeness too. Rey’s parentage (I’m still baffled as to when and how EMPEROR PALPATINE is supposed to have fathered a child...), Kylo rebuilding his helmet in the first 5 minutes, poor Rose getting the full Jar Jar treatment etc.

The Leia stuff was just sad in the first hour, it was painfully obvious they were just using stock footage of her speaking in context-less generalities. But I suppose it’s the best they could realistically do under the circumstances, and her ending was really nice, if abrupt. It’s just hard not to wonder what might have been :(

Positives - Richard E. Grant was a fabulous Imperial General, Lando’s return was nicely done, it was nice to see the new trio actually together for most of the film, Domnhall Gleeson continues to camp it up to ridiculous levels, and there is no sadder sight in cinema than a CRYING WOOKIE :(

5/10 for the first two thirds, 7/10 for the end.

Last edited:
Wow I’m shocked at how bad this was, I’m not a crazy fan of Rian Johnson but at least his movie had some cinematic flair and memorable sequences. This was just a bland made by committee movie with no stakes.

The only good thing about it was the score and Oscar Isaac’s beautiful face.
Everytime Leia was on screen I rolled my eyes, she was like an NPC in a video game speaking I’m vagueries and chopped up words and looking in the wrong direction. The first half is just a bad video games. Even the lightsaber fight on the deathstar was so long and dull.

The second half is slightly better but again the fight had no stakes, no one was ever in any true danger and the force can heal so no one dies (unless they died in real life or are actors who will never comeback). Was I supposed to be sad when JJ’s pudgy friend dies?

There were people openly laughing at Kylo’s death scene because it was so badly executed.

Also fuck them for including two lesbians kissing in the background of the final scene, so fucking cynical.

Weirdly, despite the fanbase hating the last two at various levels, I actually enjoyed both a lot. I found this one quite underwhelming. Not bad necessarily. I just didn't feel anything.

I wish they had left Leia out of it. I don't think Carrie Fisher, script-doctor to the stars, would have been thrilled with the dialogue they pieced together.

Also, I could have one without the inclusion of the Pixar lamp and the sexy power ranger, who seemed to exist solely to sell more tat, and the transparent set-up for a Disney+ spin-off with Lando and the horseriding woman.

We were confused by the Lando bit at the end. Was that supposed to be a potential love interest? His daughter?

I watched the film as part of a triple-bill re-screening The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. It was the first time I'd re-watched either and while they both still have major issues, I liked them both a lot more on second viewing. I think people are so ridiculously passionate about this franchise that any deviation from what they want or expect provokes the most ridiculous backlash.

For what it's worth, Force Awakens is still far too much of a 'New Hope' re-hash with the Death Star plot line. The Last Jedi makes some interesting choices, but of the three it's probably the most clumsily written in terms of obvious plot holes and nonsensical character motivations. Poe Dameron is literally the villain of the film if you really think about it. :D

We were confused by the Lando bit at the end. Was that supposed to be a potential love interest? His daughte

It’s so ridiculous, that the one black female character goes to the one black legacy character and looks at him like “are you my daddy?” Because everyone needs to be related in this incestuous inept world.

Wow I’m shocked at how bad this was, I’m not a crazy fan of Rian Johnson but at least his movie had some cinematic flair and memorable sequences. This was just a bland made by committee movie with no stakes.

The only good thing about it was the score and Oscar Isaac’s beautiful face.
Everytime Leia was on screen I rolled my eyes, she was like an NPC in a video game speaking I’m vagueries and chopped up words and looking in the wrong direction. The first half is just a bad video games. Even the lightsaber fight on the deathstar was so long and dull.

The second half is slightly better but again the fight had no stakes, no one was ever in any true danger and the force can heal so no one dies (unless they died in real life or are actors who will never comeback). Was I supposed to be sad when JJ’s pudgy friend dies?

There were people openly laughing at Kylo’s death scene because it was so badly executed.

Also fuck them for including two lesbians kissing in the background of the final scene, so fucking cynical.

This is so true. I despised The Last Jedi, but at least it was memorable, if nothing else. This is just a gigantic, turgid, mess. I'm shocked Abrams made something so poor on so many levels.

I'm not sure it's worth a new topic, but I just finished watching The Clone Wars and as well as being surprised by how good it was in general - it genuinely makes me look at the prequel trilogy more fondly due to the extra context it adds to them - the final four-episode story (The Siege of Mandalore) was a far better Star Wars movie than this pile of old nonsense was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom