Step Back in Time: The Definitive Collection

Her profile or status has not been this high for some time has it
A new album next Summer would be good - I think she may have a 'Confessions..' stage album left in her. Or is she completely heritage now?
She will never have another proper hit single - the way the charts are designed and music consumed now makes it impossible - but she could have an album bigger than Golden I reckon. Major airplay hits are not out of the question and that's still what drives album sales in the UK.

She will never have another proper hit single - the way the charts are designed and music consumed now makes it impossible - but she could have an album bigger than Golden I reckon.

Well, that’s presuming the charts stay as they are. It could all change again in a few years. Few people would have predicted where we are now a decade ago. Who’s to say it won’t all change again?

Agree re: the album though. If she times it right and fortune is on her side, she could easily eclipse ‘Golden’.

Apparently she's closed the gap to less than 200 copies now.

#2 which pretty decent.

I know no-one enjoys the comparison, but where did Madonna land week two? :)

And she remained #1 on sales only. Down to #84 on streaming.

I'd say it's probably more accurate to compare the chart run of Golden to Madame X than the GH. That was 1-4-6-10.

The UK and Australia probably the only two countries where Kylie does better than Madonna these days though.

Did Kylie do better than her anywhere else previously?

Kylie is just SO MUCH better at moving with what her ageing audience want to hear these days...Dancing was upbeat but mild enough not to scare anybody, and sounded like a Kylie classic after hearing it 8 times on Radio 2 - Medellin (AS GOOD AS IT IS) felt like a formality Radio 2 playlist choice, and I highly doubt it gelled with anybody outside of Madonna’s core fanbase.

(This post sponsored by stating that blatantly obvious :disco: )

It's not just servicing her fanbase she's good at. She knows how to play the general public as well - people who don't necessarily buy music or go to concerts. So there's always a lot of good will for her, which means she's starting with an advantage.

And that's before we consider their personalities...

So there's always a lot of good will for her, which means she's starting with an advantage.

And that's before we consider their personalities...

I think for me that IS the core difference.

Sure, I would concur that taking them purely on musical terms, ‘Golden’ is an easier sell than ‘Madame X’. But realistically, I think for a lot of the campaign (particularly the back-end) Kylie was primarily selling herself. And like you say, she just knows how to do it.

And begrudgingly, I do respect Madonna (on some level) for her commitment to selling music over personality. I don’t think it’s necessarily done her many favours this time around, mind...

And begrudgingly, I do respect Madonna (on some level) for her commitment to selling music over personality. I don’t think it’s necessarily done her many favours this time around, mind...
You think she should have focused on her personality? :D

You think she should have focused on her personality? :D

No, but I think it was @Suedey who said that she CAN do (luke)warm and crowd-pleasing when she absolutely has to (ie. Confessions...)

I don't think she necessarily goes out of her way to be as BRITTLE as she comes across sometimes. But there's no doubt that she could have turned on the charm with 'Madame X' if she really wanted to.

I think the years of brittleness have come with just her general (and pretty rightly placed) distrust of the media.

It has gotten worse, though and the whole "aloof superstar" schtick wore thin in the end. She realised that by the last tour, when she was warm, funny and engaged with the crowd. She hasn't quite gotten around to doing that in interviews yet.

She hasn't quite gotten around to doing that in interviews yet.

Some people are just naturally warmer than others - it's probably far less an effort for Kylie than it is for Madonna, based purely on the way they come across.

Maybe at this stage she just doesn't see much value in making the EFFORT for the sake of a few extra sales. Her music stands little chance of being playlisted in most media outlets, regardless of whether she's NICE AS PIE - I'm not sure I'd bother if the most I'd get out of it was a handful of extra sales.

Does she have much streaming? Because I would say she doesn't, so she's doing incredibly well holding there.

Yes I don’t think they could have really asked for any more than 1-2-3. Especially considering joe void Greatest Hits are these days.

Does she have much streaming? Because I would say she doesn't, so she's doing incredibly well holding there.

She's been #1 on sales for two weeks. On streaming she's gone from #70 to #84.

All the same. It could just float around the chart a bit now. I suppose it depends if the other summer gigs she’s doing are keeping it afloat or if this is largely still off the back of Glastonbury.

Given that she has already had 2 successful GH albums and that such things were pretty much obliterated by streaming and playlists, I'd say this was doing very well indeed.

Hopefully her % drop will start to level off now, or with sales being so low (and close) as you move further down the chart, she could begin to fall harder in terms of position. I'll say #9 next week.

The release schedules are pretty much dead until September but the risk to her is her lack of steaming because that's what will keep albums buoyant until the influx of new releases.

1-2-4-12-18-21

(Sales 1-1-3-8-8-9)

Last edited:
It was always going to be wildly front loaded but if it can plateau inside the top 40 and stick around for some kind of Christmas push it must have a shot at going gold

Well it's back up to #14 in the midweeks, so hopefully it can stabilise.

And the label did say they were treating this as a long campaign, so hopefully they have some good stuff lined up to carry us through to the 3 weeks of the year when albums sell in vaguely decent numbers.

Well it's back up to #14 in the midweeks, so hopefully it can stabilise.

And the label did say they were treating this as a long campaign, so hopefully they have some good stuff lined up to carry us through to the 3 weeks of the year when albums sell in vaguely decent numbers.

Presumably Brighton Pride had a major effect. I can't see what else they have up their sleeve now the tour is over...

I think she must want some time off, and who can blame her?

I don't really see much happening now until a possible Christmas campaign and reissue.

It managed 3.2k last week, and needs to sell 3k this week for silver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom