Suede - new album: 'Autofiction'

Yes, I was discussing this briefly with Octy somewhere, the lead track has been out a while. I like the album cover, classic Suede. This is their punk album apparently.

1657527241626.png

I put a pre-order in when they added the "She Still Leads Me On" 12" back into the bundle. I'll pre-order for more music but fancy vinyl colours do nothing for me these days.

I love this cover but I just wish the song was a little more adventurous or unexpected-sounding .. I still love them but lately all their albums sound fairly similar.. I'd love their Low, or their Scary Monsters, or their Let's Dance

Suede album rankings? Let's go..

DOG MAN STAR ( in my top 10 of fave albums ever !
SUEDE
COMING UP
HEAD MUSIC
SCI FI LULLABIES
the album with Astrogirl
and then it all becomes a big blur of quite good songs but nothing coming close to their imperial phase
apart from Life is Golden which I became obsessed with for a while

1. Dog Man Star
2. Suede
(Sci-Fi Lullabies)
3. Coming Up
4. Night Thoughts
5. The Blue Hour
6. Head Music
7. Blood Sports
8. A New Morning

1 Suede
2 Coming Up
3 Dog Man Star
4 Head Music
5 Bloodsports
6 Night Thoughts
7 A New Morning
8 The Blue Hour

I love this cover but I just wish the song was a little more adventurous or unexpected-sounding .. I still love them but lately all their albums sound fairly similar.. I'd love their Low, or their Scary Monsters, or their Let's Dance

I think Suede are too much of a band for that. Everything has to fit the group line-up so there's a limit to how far they can stretch the sound. But it's a bloody good sound and I'll always give new Suede music my time.

I think Suede are too much of a band for that. Everything has to fit the group line-up so there's a limit to how far they can stretch the sound. But it's a bloody good sound and I'll always give new Suede music my time.
I get it but they just had such incredible potential- for me they really could have been one of those bands that constantly evolve, that keep being surprising, that take risks. I still love them, don't get me wrong.. I just think they had the potential to be really important. I still listen to Dog Man Star in complete awe

My SUEDE top 10 today : (random edit)

1. My Insatiable One
2. So. YOUNG
3. Stay Together
4. Outsiders -----
5. New Generation
6. Saturday Night
7. The Asphalt World
8. The Drowners
9. Europe Is Our Playground
10. Still Life

Yes solid rather than anything spectacular. I think you hear Brett going for something more 'punk' in his vocal. I wasn't sure about that 'FIF-TEEEENN' on first listen but I think a grower.

I’ve never gotten into their albums after their imperial phase but I came across Night Thoughts while whiling away the hours on a beach and after listening to it all the way through It turns out it’s a MUCH better album than I thought .. best listened to all the way through as the songs positively melt into each other .. it really is gorgeous

Last edited:
DOG MAN STAR ( in my top 10 of fave albums ever !
SUEDE
COMING UP
HEAD MUSIC
SCI FI LULLABIES
the album with Astrogirl
and then it all becomes a big blur of quite good songs but nothing coming close to their imperial phase
apart from Life is Golden which I became obsessed with for a while
I have to completely revise my order now after having listened to the last 3 albums over and over
1 Dog Man Star
2 Suede
3 Coming Up
4 Night Thoughts ( I now think this is actually better than Coming Up but the latter is still so perfectly, iconically of its time)
5 The Blue Hour
6 Head Music
7 Bloodsports
8 A New Morning

and Flytipping is INCREDIBLE

I’ve been on a huge Suede Binge for the last 3 weeks, listening to Night Thoughts and The Blue Hour on repeat.. After forgetting about them after A New Morning, and never giving Bloodsports any attention ( it just reminded me too much of the past, my time in London in the early 90s).. Im just so happy to have them back in my life , and just as vital and just as brilliant .. Can’t WAIT for the new album!

I’ve been on a huge Suede Binge for the last 3 weeks, listening to Night Thoughts and The Blue Hour on repeat.. After forgetting about them after A New Morning, and never giving Bloodsports any attention ( it just reminded me too much of the past, my time in London in the early 90s).. Im just so happy to have them back in my life , and just as vital and just as brilliant .. Can’t WAIT for the new album!
Same!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom