Sugababes™

The Blood Orange remix of Same Old Story is out on Tuesday! Clip:

Might just be me but this whole ‘campaign’ is really boring

what’s the point spending years getting your name back just to put out some old songs with a few remixes?

Might just be me but this whole ‘campaign’ is really boring

what’s the point spending years getting your name back just to put out some old songs with a few remixes?
Yeah it is a bit low key, but obviously they want to celebrate the debut as a soft relaunch and then move on to the exciting new material :)

I just think they might have wasted the last bit of momentum they had but we’ll see

Well nostalgia's not to be SNIFFED AT in my opinion. If they're doing it right they'll probably get a couple of TV performances around the re-release singing Overload and New Year etc. which will get more traction than a "here's our new song" moment

I just think they might have wasted the last bit of momentum they had but we’ll see
there was no momentum babes! @dUb and the other six remaining disciples don't qualify!

I think taking their time, doing the One Touch anniversary deluxe and then coming back with new material (#soon) is smart enough.

Mutya sounds fantastic there.

I'm finding these remixes to be fairly uninteresting, but they did inspire me to put the album on.

10 Overload
10 One Foot In
10 Same Old Story

What a start :disco:

08 Just Let It Go
08 Look At Me

Even the filler is still good

10 Soul Sound
07 One Touch
08 Lush Life
07 Real Thing

Last edited:
They have all the VIM and VIGOUR of an Unperfect tribute act at this stage.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: dUb
Am I going mad or did One Touch come out in 2000? Why are they doing a 20th anniversary in 2021?

I'm glad they're putting the BTS work in. A Blood Orange remix is a good sign of where I'd love them to go (again) quite frankly.

As for Mutya looking like she's just been facehugged by the face of Pete Burns. Truly chilling yet the horror is on hold as she sings one of the most stunning songs known to woman and gay.

Listening back to ‘One Touch’ and the Sugababes’ production-line final albums, it’s fair to say the band ended up with a different vision to how it started. When did you feel it change?

Keisha: “For me, the Sugababes was about our harmonies and three voices put together. After Siobhan left, Mutya and I tried to continue our signature sound. When Mutya left, it became harder to maintain that. Every time someone leaves, it changes the dynamic. But there might be someone out there who loves the very last Sugababes line-up after I left.”

Siobhan: “Nah!”

Keisha: “Siobhan! I’m just saying there might be people who actually like that, but for me, it changed and lost its essence. After Mutya left, it became about being sexy and not being allowed in the creative process. It became this machine – and it looked and sounded like that. I give Heidi [Range, who replaced Siobhan and remained until the end] props. She’s a big part of the Sugababes so I’m not shading her or the line-up she’s in. But it was mind-boggling and alien to be told: ‘Your album’s going to take two weeks. It’s already written for you’.”

What was it like to be a part of that?

Keisha: I like to see the glass half-full so I’d turn up and do my routine, but I was embarrassed almost every single day. Siobhan, you would have died. During one session, a big name producer – who I won’t name – actually had someone come in and teach me, Heidi and Amelle about harmonies. I had to sit through that! Afterwards when I said that we really needed to be involved in the creative process, I was told: ‘OK, you’re being an issue now’, so I just shut up. And that album was disappointing.”

Listening back to ‘One Touch’ and the Sugababes’ production-line final albums, it’s fair to say the band ended up with a different vision to how it started. When did you feel it change?

Keisha: “For me, the Sugababes was about our harmonies and three voices put together. After Siobhan left, Mutya and I tried to continue our signature sound. When Mutya left, it became harder to maintain that. Every time someone leaves, it changes the dynamic. But there might be someone out there who loves the very last Sugababes line-up after I left.”

Siobhan: “Nah!”

Keisha: “Siobhan! I’m just saying there might be people who actually like that, but for me, it changed and lost its essence. After Mutya left, it became about being sexy and not being allowed in the creative process. It became this machine – and it looked and sounded like that. I give Heidi [Range, who replaced Siobhan and remained until the end] props. She’s a big part of the Sugababes so I’m not shading her or the line-up she’s in. But it was mind-boggling and alien to be told: ‘Your album’s going to take two weeks. It’s already written for you’.”

What was it like to be a part of that?

Keisha: I like to see the glass half-full so I’d turn up and do my routine, but I was embarrassed almost every single day. Siobhan, you would have died. During one session, a big name producer – who I won’t name – actually had someone come in and teach me, Heidi and Amelle about harmonies. I had to sit through that! Afterwards when I said that we really needed to be involved in the creative process, I was told: ‘OK, you’re being an issue now’, so I just shut up. And that album was disappointing.”

ooh that’s hot goss!
I guess that album she’s talking about must be Catfights?

ooh that’s hot goss!
I guess that album she’s talking about must be Catfights?
Hmm could be but I assumed it was Sweet 7, which had the big name producers

Hmm could be but I assumed it was Sweet 7, which had the big name producers
Oh right, I forgot there was Keisha version of Get Sexy! I read it that she’d had to go through with the album, but I suppose not!

She's spoken fondly of Catfights in the past as well... the taste jumped out

Although this is what they had to say about it during Sweet 7 promo so could be 🤔

"We're still really proud of [Catfights], even though it wasn't our most successful album," says Buchanan, who's invariably first to answer questions. "I was surprised – I think Change should've got those bad reviews, because that was a lot poppier. With Catfights, we decided to go a bit old-school and stripped-back. But if we stayed in the place we were in, we'd never move on." But she finally admits they did become complacent, and that must be a difficult thing to own up to, coming from someone who's otherwise unswervingly on-message about how great it is to be a Sugababe. "When I say complacent, I mean we had put ourselves in boxes and said we were just singers."

"We took our eye off the ball and didn't concentrate on the performance and styling side," says Range. Though presentation is a critical factor in a chart-pop band's continuing success these days, the trio confess they'd neglected it because, crazily, they assumed fans would want to hear them sing no matter how they looked. Buchanan sighs. "The industry is changing. We used to say in interviews that we could put bin-bags over our heads and people would still come to see us. But they wouldn't now. People want to see the whole package. They want to know all about you."

Although this is what they had to say about it during Sweet 7 promo so could be 🤔

"We're still really proud of [Catfights], even though it wasn't our most successful album," says Buchanan, who's invariably first to answer questions. "I was surprised – I think Change should've got those bad reviews, because that was a lot poppier. With Catfights, we decided to go a bit old-school and stripped-back. But if we stayed in the place we were in, we'd never move on." But she finally admits they did become complacent, and that must be a difficult thing to own up to, coming from someone who's otherwise unswervingly on-message about how great it is to be a Sugababe. "When I say complacent, I mean we had put ourselves in boxes and said we were just singers."

"We took our eye off the ball and didn't concentrate on the performance and styling side," says Range. Though presentation is a critical factor in a chart-pop band's continuing success these days, the trio confess they'd neglected it because, crazily, they assumed fans would want to hear them sing no matter how they looked. Buchanan sighs. "The industry is changing. We used to say in interviews that we could put bin-bags over our heads and people would still come to see us. But they wouldn't now. People want to see the whole package. They want to know all about you."

could it not be Change then? That was the one with Dallas Austin and Dr Luke (🥴) wasn’t it?

I think they (Keisha) liked Taller and Catfights, but not Change or Sweet 7. which is understandable.

that quote about how the creative process changed is equal parts interesting and horrifying.

But Sweet 7 is full of bops!

I was never a stan of the Sugababes (teh Satz rule!) but there’s part of me which resents Siobhan sticking her oar in too much about the history of the group - she was there for one relatively unsuccessful album, after which the direction of the group changed dramatically. I’m pleased Keisha doesn’t try to shade Heidi - she doesn’t deserve it and I doubt they would have been nearly as successful without her.

Heidi ruined every song. Heidi ruins everything

vanity fair television GIF by RealityTVGIFs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom