Super Mario 3D All Stars

I still think it looks gorgeous - it's one of the few N64 games I feel have held up really well (I'm easily impressed if things looks clean and sharp I guess). Managed 16 stars. The palava I had getting my first one in the snow level, I just thought "oh my god, I have 5 more to get" :)

I'm really struggling with Mario 64. The camera is the worst part, but he is so slidey and bouncy that it's hard to be precise. Also his fucking turning circle when you change direction!

AGOG. Did you play it when it originally came out @ZenGiraffe? You could accuse Mario 64 of many things and I imagine it is a bit BASIC these days but one of the things I remember being in AWE about the game the most was how TIGHT it was.

Nothing that came afterwards for a long time, certainly not Ape Escape or Spyro or all those FIFTH-RATE CLONES felt so good to control (perhaps Banjo). IMO they really nailed it on first try which is kind of incredible.

Also I haven't played the game in +20 years so what do I know.

I find Crash more precise, but also I'm now in the position of comparing to modern Mario, so I was making mistakes that I wouldn't have in Odyssey for example.

I never played it on the 64, only the DS remake where I think the physics were a touch different.

I'm really struggling with Mario 64. The camera is the worst part, but he is so slidey and bouncy that it's hard to be precise. Also his fucking turning circle when you change direction!
I don’t think it’s aged well, and I think because it basically changed gaming forever you don’t think it would have so many flaws. I played it when it came out, and then again when they re-released it (on the 3DS??) and I was quite surprised about how rough it was.
I did get 3D all stars today, but I’m only getting it for Sunshine (which I played when it was released) and Galaxy (which I’ve never played).

I'm having the same problem with Sunshine TBH. The controls are infuriating!

Omg I won't have Moopy slag off Mario games. Go play KNACK if you can't appreciate greatness :evil::evil::evil:

I'm having the same problem with Sunshine TBH. The controls are infuriating!
I had a quick shot of Sunshine and I enjoyed it, but I was always a Sunshine apologist.

Galaxy is far and away the best game of the three (Galaxy 2 in the running for best Mario ever so I'm sad it isn't included) though so I've saved it for last.

My Mastermind subject of choice is SECOND RATE OBSCURE MARIO CLONES FROM THE EARLY 00's. I've played them all so NO ONE HAS TO:

Vexx, Blinx, Ratchet & Clank, Scaler, Sly Raccoon, Dr Muto, Kao the Kangaroo, Evil Twin, Ty The Tasmanian Tiger, Tak and the Power of Juju and even fucking ToeJam & Earl III (what a disappointment that was).

Can we add Jersey Devil and 40 Winks to this list? I remember enjoying them at the time but them not standing up any more.

I wonder how much of the problem with Mario 64 in particular is due to not using the N64 analogue stick to control it, as I recall it having a lot more travel than the sticks on modern controllers.

I don’t know whether to start with 64 then go to Galaxy as I don’t fancy playing Galaxy then going back to 64 and the whole thing being like a soft turd.

But... Galaxy :disco:

I don’t know whether to start with 64 then go to Galaxy as I don’t fancy playing Galaxy then going back to 64 and the whole thing being like a soft turd.

I'm going chronologically for this very reason.

I got 3 stars with Mario 64 and couldn’t stand it as I always seemed to be just going a little too far beyond where I actually wanted to be and moved straight onto Galaxy.

*aims for door*
*hits wall*

I can kind of see now why the reviews were quite hard on their not being any quality of life improvements. In 2020 I think it’s a bit of a disservice to Mario 64 that it just feels a little off. I couldn’t even nail the triple jump in it - seems to be mashing jump rather than a timed input???

As for Galaxy I think I’m enjoying it even more than I did back then. I’m just in complete awe of it. Any other developer it would have been a mess but with Nintendo they nailed the controls and the camera, you never feel like you’re out of control playing it even though you can explore every inch of these planets no matter which way round you are.

And jumping into a launch star and flying off through a comet field or wrapping around a planet to arrive somewhere else just enough to tease you about new finds will never get old for me. It looks even more gorgeous now.

It is REALLY hard going backwards. Galaxy is every bit as polished (bar the motion aspect) as Odyssey. 64 is full of jank - being the first big 3D platformer ever - and Sunshine aims high and has a lot of misses - finger twisty controls, large obtuse levels, fundamentally unforgiving.

Can the all stars posts in what are you playing be merged since we seem to have two convos going on? :)

I’m enjoying Galaxy so far but fuck those motion controls can fuck right off. I wish you could turn them off and have some other way of doing things.
I don’t want to touch the screen to select things in handheld mode or have the star thing aim at the screen permanently in docked mode.

I’m enjoying Galaxy so far but fuck those motion controls can fuck right off. I wish you could turn them off and have some other way of doing things.
I don’t want to touch the screen to select things in handheld mode or have the star thing aim at the screen permanently in docked mode.

This is what makes me worry about a whole generation of Nintendo games coming to Switch. Or should I put a big IF there? I'd like to have a run through of Skyward Sword, but I'd be concerned they wouldn't be able to get it to translate properly to joycons.

Dead up for a Zelda 3D Allstars though. I'm sure OOT would feel a bit basic... but it has a certain something. Something that would at least translate to a basic upres.

Oh come on, this is how you start a thread. Whichever mod edits it gets my vote (changed perhaps as I've already sent them).

kLrZtoQ.png

:weed:

(I'm not evil though)

Banjo Kazooie and Space Station Silicon Valley are surely the 3D Platforms to, er, jump on after Mario 64 as far as the N64 goes. Part of me thinks I should tackle DK64 again, but that was such a joyless experience for me (I'd rather play that creation on PS4's Dreams that was doing the rounds).

I don’t mind them in Galaxy but I predominantly play in docked as two separate controllers so not noticed a massive issue. I find it works pretty well considering there’s no IR sensor.

Banjo Kazooie and Space Station Silicon Valley are surely the 3D Platforms to, er, jump on after Mario 64 as far as the N64 goes. Part of me thinks I should tackle DK64 again, but that was such a joyless experience for me (I'd rather play that creation on PS4's Dreams that was doing the rounds).

Banjo (the first one, not the bloated post-DK64 mess of a sequel) is arguably better than Mario, but Rayman 2 is also a great game that runs like a dream on the N64.

There's plenty of BUDGET MARIO CLONES on the 64 that are FUN FOR AN AFTERNOON OR TWO: Glover, Tonic Trouble, that one with a clown from Atari that I can't even remember the name of that I rented and finished in one weekend, Chameleon Twist and that Robot on Wheels thingie from Sucker Punch which I'm sure is now getting reassessed what with the popularity of Ghost of Tsushima.

There's also Earthworm Jim 3D which isn't half as terrible as we were lead to believe back then. I mean, it's as BAD/GOOD as any of the others above, really...

I bought DK64 on the Wii U for some reason (nostalgia). Odd seeing as I never finished the original as the Dixie boss annoyed me so much.

It was JUST as irritating second time around and I think I barely opened the first world before abandoning it.

Dixie? I think you'll find out it was her younger sister Tiny :eyes:

latest

I guess by 1999 everyone had moved from COOL GUITAR CHICKS onto TLC.

The only genuine part of DK64 that I feel has not aged badly is the mine cart sections. They're really good and I'm glad to see ASTRO BOT aped them SHAMELESSLY :disco:

Banjo (the first one, not the bloated post-DK64 mess of a sequel) is arguably better than Mario, but Rayman 2 is also a great game that runs like a dream on the N64.

There's plenty of BUDGET MARIO CLONES on the 64 that are FUN FOR AN AFTERNOON OR TWO: Glover, Tonic Trouble, that one with a clown from Atari that I can't even remember the name of that I rented and finished in one weekend, Chameleon Twist and that Robot on Wheels thingie from Sucker Punch which I'm sure is now getting reassessed what with the popularity of Ghost of Tsushima.

There's also Earthworm Jim 3D which isn't half as terrible as we were lead to believe back then. I mean, it's as BAD/GOOD as any of the others above, really...

I have Tonic Trouble on PC (physical), but no apparatus to play it on. I've actually just ordered the 2nd Goeman Mystical Ninja, which I don't think is 3D moving-wise at all, but it's long been a, well, mystery to me.

I've still also got a Bee game to play, which I do hope was inspired by my favourite Banjo level.

Mystical Ninja / Ganbare Goemon is my favourite series of all time :disco: :disco: :disco: The second one on the N64 is 2.5D whatever that means, but it's astonishingly good, if you can get someone else to play with you in co-op it's even more fun (you can PIGGYBACK on each other :disco: ).

Dixie? I think you'll find out it was her younger sister Tiny :eyes:
Oh YES :D

How could I forget those helicoptering ponytails. I stared at them for long enough as she lurched around the screen at 5 fps whilst the camera furiously adjusted itself to find the worst possible angle to show the "fun". NEVER AGAIN.

After coming from Odyssey it’s really quite jarring finding a star, exiting the level and then having to select another.

I’m surprised it took them that long to realise it’s a bit shit

True that. I always liked that it ripples from the point you jump in.

I've just got my 70 stars and killed bowser in 64 and that's enough of that nonsense. It was not fun experience, the game hasn't aged well and I should have left it in my memory.

And I'm worried I'm about to do the same to Sunshine now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom