Superfluous new cities

Stanley looks like a toy town

BAD99F66-FEE6-4611-80E6-B0C30C6B24CF.jpeg

I always thought a town with cathedral = city automatically which I'm sure Colchester does. I could be wrong on both points.

Wasn’t it a cathedral AND a something? Like a university?

I think that’s a definition based on a sort of rule of thumb, I guess a royal charter or whatever it’s called is the closest there is to an official designation.

But for statistics’ sake it’s not very practical so people try to decide their own

Greater London is an AREA isn’t it? Like Greater Manchester?

I mean it already has London and Westminster it doesn’t need to be GREEDY

I probably assumed Colchester was a city because of its name - I’m sure we all learnt in history perhaps inaccurately that Chester was a Roman word for city, but i suppose even then that was hundreds of years ago and things change

Also maybe because I’ve passed through it a few times when I lived in London because it’s a major hub for getting to Suffolk and Norfolk. So it felt like a city for that reason.

Funnily enough for the same reason I’ve just checked and Crewe, which is a major travel hub for the north, is not a city either, so what do I know.

I probably assumed Colchester was a city because of its name - I’m sure we all learnt in history perhaps inaccurately that Chester was a Roman word for city, but i suppose even then that was hundreds of years ago and things change

And Col means “really old”

OMG is that why they call you that? :o

Seeing the interest in the City of Colchester, a potted history:

It was the thriving Roman capital of Britannia Music Club. But Boudicca burned it to the ground, because the Romans were cunts. They built back better. The town (city) is basically built on a Roman archaeological site and many new builds are obliged to do excavations first.

The Romans eventually fucked off. And Colchester went into it's flop era gradually losing its identity as what we might think of a city, but never disappeared, regaining ground at various points.

The Normans then built THE BIGGEST CASTLE KEEP EVER BUILT, which remains to this day. It hosted King John in the 1200s, witch trials in the 1600s and more recently a surreal work Christmas party in 2016. The town was also a focal point of the Peasants Revolt, led by Jeremy Corbyn.

It remained one of the biggest towns until the industrial revolution, when it just stopped caring. Notable events include the Siege of Colchester, the biggest ever English earthquake in 1884 and is the home to a couple of nursery rhymes.

John Prescott decided Colchester would be the site of mass house building. The population has almost doubled since 2000 and is essentially a London overflow. Gammons complain about Londoners flooding the town citing the fact we just don't have the infrastructure, despite a significant amount of infrastructure improvements. What they mean is more brown people and culture they're too dumb to understand.

All in all Colchester deserves City status, despite having no Cathedral because everyone thought it was already and there's a decent zoo.

Last edited:
Well MK can’t compete with that

We DO have a Roman villa site though, as well as Bletchley Park so without MK we’d all be speaking German.

Very large indoor skislope too - i believe it is or was the biggest in Europe, mainly because the rest of Europe has mountains for that

Site of Cliff Richard’s Wired for Sound video, and bits of Superman IV

We DO have a Roman villa site though, as well as Bletchley Park so without MK we’d all be speaking German.

Very large indoor skislope too - i believe it is or was the biggest in Europe, mainly because the rest of Europe has mountains for that

What sensational claims.

In fairness, Wired For Sound is perhaps Cliff Richard's best song

Not one mention of its historic roundabouts smh

Shiny new thread 4 u.

The title reflects my bitterness that only Doncaster was tipped the nod for the entirety of the North and Midlands, and Doncaster is fucking SHIT.

Reactions: GNL
Shiny new thread 4 u.

The title reflects my bitterness that only Doncaster was tipped the nod, and Doncaster is fucking SHIT.
The inclusion of Doncaster was baffling and rather cheapened the event, even more than the capital of a penguin island or the location of a burnt out leisure centre.

Reactions: GNL
I think I used to live near Doncaster when I was little. Please explain Doncaster.

Please explain Doncaster.
We've been asking people to do that for years. Summerland would have actively improved the scenery.

For the North or the Midlands, why not Northampton, Leamington Spa, Warwick, Telford, Shrewsbury, Halifax, Blackpool, Stockport, Warrington, Birkenhead or Huddersfield?

We've been asking people to do that for years. Summerland would have actively improved the scenery.

For the North or the Midlands, why not Northampton, Leamington Spa, Warwick, Telford, Shrewsbury, Halifax, Blackpool, Stockport, Warrington, Birkenhead or Huddersfield?
THE CITY OF BLACKPOOL :disco:

Worth noting the full nomination list

Alcester, Warwickshire

Ballymena, County Antrim

Bangor, County Down

Blackburn, Lancashire

Bolsover, Derbyshire

Boston, Lincolnshire

Bournemouth, Dorset

Coleraine, County Londonderry

Colchester, Essex

Crawley, West Sussex

Crewe, Cheshire

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Dorchester, Dorset

Douglas, Isle of Man

Dudley, West Midlands

Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway

Dunfermline, Fife

Elgin, Moray

George Town, Cayman Islands

Gibraltar, Gibraltar

Goole, East Yorkshire

Greenock, Renfrewshire

Guildford, Surrey

Livingston, West Lothian

Medway, Kent

Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire

Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire

Newport and Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

Northampton, Northamptonshire

Oban, Argyll and Bute

Reading, Berkshire

Peel, Isle of Man

St Andrews, Fife

Stanley, Falkland Islands

South Ayrshire, Ayrshire and Arran

Warrington, Cheshire

Warwick, Warwickshire

Wrexham, Clwyd

Thats like a list of worst places to live, and yet Doncaster is worse than all of them

Not one mention of its historic roundabouts smh

Everyone takes the piss but it’s just roundabouts - it just means we don’t get massive tailbacks at rush hour so 💅

Bath is a beautiful city, but every single time I’ve driven there from 5pm onwards it’s been gridlock hell

Worth noting the full nomination list

Alcester, Warwickshire

Ballymena, County Antrim

Bangor, County Down

Blackburn, Lancashire

Bolsover, Derbyshire

Boston, Lincolnshire

Bournemouth, Dorset

Coleraine, County Londonderry

Colchester, Essex

Crawley, West Sussex

Crewe, Cheshire

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Dorchester, Dorset

Douglas, Isle of Man

Dudley, West Midlands

Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway

Dunfermline, Fife

Elgin, Moray

George Town, Cayman Islands

Gibraltar, Gibraltar

Goole, East Yorkshire

Greenock, Renfrewshire

Guildford, Surrey

Livingston, West Lothian

Medway, Kent

Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire

Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire

Newport and Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

Northampton, Northamptonshire

Oban, Argyll and Bute

Reading, Berkshire

Peel, Isle of Man

St Andrews, Fife

Stanley, Falkland Islands

South Ayrshire, Ayrshire and Arran

Warrington, Cheshire

Warwick, Warwickshire

Wrexham, Clwyd
Alcester? Fucking ALCESTER? There's NOTHING THERE.

Everyone takes the piss but it’s just roundabouts - it just means we don’t get massive tailbacks at rush hour so 💅

Bath is a beautiful city, but every single time I’ve driven there from 5pm onwards it’s been gridlock hell
I LOVED the H and V’s when visiting my Nan as a child.
Also yes driving in Bath is HELL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom