SURPRISE MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTEN - BJORK - DEBUT - 8PM SUNDAY 03/05

octophone

Prole Art Threat
Inspired by @BoysForSeles's poll and there being nowt else doing, let's have a Sunday Sync Listen to Bjork's classic first album "Debut".

This youtube link will start a 12-song playlist of the album, ending with Play Dead which was added after its success as a single about 6 months after the album's original release.

Here's a Spotify link - again, the 12 track edition.

Last edited:
I felt I had to wait until we knew if VoR was doing his thing or not, otherwise I'd have called it earlier.

I love "Human Behaviour" - the overall sound is so unusual - it's like the bassline has a timpani sound built into it.

Human Behaviour is such a strong opener! I was a bit young to fully appreciate the public's reaction to Björk at the time, I'm assuming it was fully WTF across the board?

It's worth remembering what a huge left turn this was for her after The Sugarcubes - no-one was expecting this.

Human Behaviour is such a strong opener! I was a bit young to fully appreciate the public's reaction to Björk at the time, I'm assuming it was fully WTF across the board?
There was confusion, mockery and praise

The album took a wee while to "take" - it got ecstatic reviews but didn't get to a wider audience until several months in.

I got into Bjork around 1999 as her music videos were just embarrassingly amazing. Human Behaviour immediately transports you somewhere unknown visually even without the video.

The Italio-piano riff dates "Crying" a wee bit but it has enough character to survive that. Heaven knows what kind of sounds were being used to build the drum tracks.

I definitely didn't get Bjork when she first started out. I think my first exposure was hearing either Violently Happy or Big Time Sensuality on the chart show and not knowing what to make of it.

The album took a wee while to "take" - it got ecstatic reviews but didn't get to a wider audience until several months in.
I'm always surprised it entered the chart high and hovered for months before peaking.

I got into Bjork around 1999 as her music videos were just embarrassingly amazing. Human Behaviour immediately transports you somewhere unknown visually even without the video.

Michel Gondry was absolutely perfect for her. No-one she kept coming back to him again and again.

I always love that 'da, daaaadaaaaa' backing vocal she does on this.

I always love that 'da, daaaadaaaaa' backing vocal she does on this.

It's an odd element upon which to end. It's a very weirdly laid-out song. You could assemble something much more conventional from the pieces...but where's the fun in that?

Reactions: COB
I'm currently making a case in a local history group for Nellee Hooper being one of the 10 greatest people to have come from Barton Hill (the area where he - and I - grew up), so this listen really is immaculately timed.

I'm currently making a case in a local history group for Nellee Hooper being one of the 10 greatest people to have come from Barton Hill, so this listen really is immaculately timed.
There are 10 above?

"Venus As A Boy" was a pretty perverse choice for a second single. I mean, a lovely, lovely song but quite the move to go with it as a single so early on.

Get your eggs out, it's Venus As A Boy :disco: The instrumentation on this was always so fascinating to me, it sounded properly ALIEN.

The strings on this are just sublime...they just GLIDE perfectly.

I always forget that the lyrics are relatively erotic - a bit of an early taste of later albums, in a way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom