SYNC LISTEN - Roisin Murphy, 'Overpowered' - TONIGHT 20.30

Jark

User
Just making this now to remind myself that it's happening tomorrow. :eyes:

In 2007, Róisín Murphy (hats in the right locations pls and thankyou) released her second solo record. It was widely ignored, debuting at #20 on the UK, perhaps out of concern at peaking too soon, and going on to sell 65k copies (which sounds like a lot now, but was not then). By contrast, it received widespread critical acclaim, spawned one top 30 single and another top 50, and arguably did what albums by artists in similar lanes (Kylie comes immediately to mind) SHOULD have done, but did not.

It was, frankly, a cultural reset.

Tomorrow we revisit Overpowered, 8pm UK time - tell everybody, let me know which songs changed your life and don't be a fucking cry baby if I tell you your SCORES aren't LOONY ENOUGH :disco:

ooh, she actually did one herself on twitter a month or so ago with lots of interesting reflections

Is this happening? :D

I shamelessly forgot all about (very Jark) and I'm out having dinner with friends having a COMPLETE mental breakdown so I'm not sure in can do it tonight :( but I'll listen later or tomorrow and share some useless thoughts and completely non essential trivia

Amazing :D I want to do this but couldn't tonight anyway as I'm catching up with friends in a bit too. Arrange another time and I'm there.

Go for it tomorrow loves. I may need to STEP AWAY from the flop series for now, sorry to break it to you like this

I have a feeling I might be doing this alone, but whatever. I'm also online shopping, a real multitasking queen.

and we're off! :disco:

OK, Overpowered - not an instant song or an obvious way to start the album, and it took me a while when other songs hit more instantly, but damn if it isn't one of the strangest, most unsettlingly hypnotic songs I've ever heard. It puts you into a trance. It's a bit like taking too many valium or an over-ambitious first line of ketamine.

10 Overpowered

You Know Me Better, to me, is the perfect electropop song. She is the mother I never had, she is the sister everybody would want, she is the friend everybody deserves. I don't know a better song.

10 Overpowered
11 You Know Me Better

Wikipedia is confusing me. It says Overpowered the single was ineligible to chart and therefore charted at 149. So was it ineligible or not? :confused:

Sometimes I think I love 'You Know me Better' too much sometimes. Brings back to many lovely memories of my late twenties, and my last year or two in London. We danced SO HARD to this back in the day :disco: :disco: :kylie:

10 Overpowered
11 You Know me Better

(Rewinding back as well to OVERPOWERED - those of you that haven't watched the iconic video yet, EDUCATE yourselves.)

The album is quite similar to What's Your Pleasure to me - not just in terms of tempo but the way almost every song has a really nice, fat bassline purring away underneath it all the time. It's such a shiny, well-produced record, every instrument pops and has space to breathe.

CHECKIN' ON ME

Queen Roísín decides to alter the pace a little bit and why the hell not. What a track. Slow down the pace and give us more attitude queen yes please. :disco:

Where's @funky ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom