"Take A Bow" vs. "You'll See"

Which song do you prefer?

• Total voters
Statements about things in this thread:

Why does funky keep wading into threads making statements when he hasn’t read the earlier posts? His age I guess.

I’ve been doing this a lot lately :D need to stop skim reading. Also you’re a month older love, never forget that.

I didn’t realise that IWY got heavy rotation as a video; I wonder if it really was the planned single and then the label got scared and went with the more poppy You’ll See. I actually don’t even remember the IWY video at the time, although looking back I do remember only really becoming a music geek in 1996, about the time I started working in Woolies. I had stopped following Madonna after TIC, like a true fair weather. STR was bunged into a 2 for 10 promo or some such at work and I bought it, and I was shocked by how much good music I was aware of but hadn’t paid much attention to between 89 and 95. Particularly TAB, Playground, I’ll Remember... I remember You’ll See doing well but the album brought it home to me. I was obsessed with the album and became obsessed with her at a time when the public were still unsure, despite the Evita promo.

I went back and picked up Erotica and Bedtime Stories and rinsed those too. Then ROL came along. So my journey with Madonna was topsy turvy, but in the mid and late 90s nobody came close.

I didn’t realise that IWY got heavy rotation as a video; I wonder if it really was the planned single and then the label got scared and went with the more poppy You’ll See.

'I Want You' was originally going to be the first single but it was scrapped due to rights issues with Motown. It appeared on the Marvin Gaye tribute album Inner City Blues as well, but label squabbles between Warner & Motown scuppered the single release. Hence the cobbled together video for 'You'll See' and change of plans.

I’ve been doing this a lot lately :D need to stop skim reading. Also you’re a month older love, never forget that.

Yes, but I don't look it... :)

I didn’t realise that IWY got heavy rotation as a video; I wonder if it really was the planned single and then the label got scared and went with the more poppy You’ll See. [/qjuote]

I Want You was recorded for a Marvin Gaye tribute album and licenced for Something to Remember. There was a label dispute over who would get the single and in the end, they decided to shift to You'll See, which came out without a video because of the delay.

The video is top notch, though. Delightfully bitchy MTV making of programme too (oh how I miss GOOD MTV- I’d love that channel back now) and in which she shows that she speak mimes the words for her videos rather than miming or singing them- probably cause she didn’t want to be caught on camera singing off key.
"One.... lonely ...star...."

The MTV 'No Bull' special is fabulous :disco:

I simply can't have talk of I Want You without mentioning her lovely hair

I Want You is her FINEST video acting performance as well

It's also a marvellous video and ridiculous considering how simple it is. It's interesting, recently I've realised a lot of the videos of the era really weren't THAT big budget. You look at Madonna herself- the QUEEN of the format- and an awful lot are fairly simplistic.

God I love I Want You. I am going to put on Something to Remember RIGHT NOW in honour of this thread.

VINYL EDITION of course.

You'll See is a lifeline.

I think Take A Bow is technically better, and my god the hairs that would grow on my chest just thinking about if Toni Braxton had sang it (in her unmistakable mouth full or piping hot gravy way of course). Its stature among the 90s RnB greats isn't always acknowledged, it's definitely at least on CD2 of the Now album that was never released.

Anyway, You'll See has the drama, the vocals and is more of a follow up to Oh Father in terms of what it delivers to me.

You'll See feels like it has endured as a standard much more than Take A Bow. Interesting that it was such a big UK hit when Take A Bow was the one in the USA.

I think I prefer Take A Bow and video as it feels more like a 'Madonna' song, You'll See is fantastic and FULL of drama, but it is a BIT Andrew Lloyd Webber :D

Who can forget the BLUE EYESHADOW TOTP perf though :disco:

My god, turn the sound off you'd think Billie Ray Martin had done the impossible and scored another hit.

You'll See is a lifeline.

I think Take A Bow is technically better, and my god the hairs that would grow on my chest just thinking about if Toni Braxton had sang it (in her unmistakable mouth full or piping hot gravy way of course). Its stature among the 90s RnB greats isn't always acknowledged, it's definitely at least on CD2 of the Now album that was never released.

Anyway, You'll See has the drama, the vocals and is more of a follow up to Oh Father in terms of what it delivers to me.

Whereas, of course, OH FATHER was the follow up to You'll See in the UK. WEIRDLY.

'I Want You' was originally going to be the first single but it was scrapped due to rights issues with Motown. It appeared on the Marvin Gaye tribute album Inner City Blues as well, but label squabbles between Warner & Motown scuppered the single release. Hence the cobbled together video for 'You'll See' and change of plans.

it’s actually nice to hear that there was some faith in it as a song. It always bothered me that one of my favourites was so ignored.

Oui bien sur. Well, yes, hence this live performance at the time. The lewk was a serve (cultural appropriation be damned!); the vocals perhaps less so. And, as I said in the opening post, she only performed it on some select Asian dates on the Rebel Heart Tour. Come through ASIANDONNA :disco:

Where are the Whitney and MJB cut-to's? Can you even imagine :disco:

it’s actually nice to hear that there was some faith in it as a song. It always bothered me that one of my favourites was so ignored.

Far from it. She loved it so much that she lobbied for it to be on Something to Remember where, if you DO remember, it was the opening track.

There's remixes out there if you look hard enough. Vasquez for sure, not sure if any others. Promo 12"s were done and withdrawn. I don't remember if they were any good.

stop being so EVIL :oi:

I’m single and vulnerable you know :(

I'LL LEAVE MY HUSBAND FOR YOU FUNKY. WE COULD HAVE A LOVELY TIME TALKING ABOUT MADONNA AND 90S RNB WHILST SIPPING MOET AND LISTENING TO BEDTIME STORIES.

Massive Attack wise, one of those guys wanted Madge for Teardrop. As much as that singer is absolutely perfect for it, just one more 90s classic with the voice still intact would have been supreme.

Far from it. She loved it so much that she lobbied for it to be on Something to Remember where, if you DO remember, it was the opening track.

have Massive Attack ever commented on it?

As a huge MA fan, it’s one of the best things they’ve ever done. A truly magical composition. It wasn’t included on their Collection compilation though, although the rights issues might have again played a part in that.

Massive Attack wise, one of those guys wanted Madge for Teardrop. As much as that singer is absolutely perfect for it, just one more 90s classic with the voice still intact would have been supreme.

i didn’t know this. And I disagree. Madonna would never pulled off the fragility of that vocal. It would have been a completely different song. Not necessarily a bad one, but not the song that is currently considered one of the greatest British songs of all time.

As a huge MA fan, it’s one of the best things they’ve ever done. A truly magical composition. It wasn’t included on their Collection compilation though, although the rights issues might have again played a part in that.

It’s on the two disc version. I don’t think it was well known enough to make the first disc, that’s all.

Yes - they were happy with it & working with her. There was supposed to be more. She was originally going to sing vocals on 'Teardrop' but there was a divide in the band (one of them wanted her, the other two didn't) - apparently they sent her the track and she was definitely up for it but obviously in the end it didn't happen.

It’s on the two disc version. I don’t think it was well known enough to make the first disc, that’s all.

wait was it? I have that version :D

but I haven’t listened to it on CD in a very long time. Again, faith restored.

Wasn’t it the other way around? I thought they rejected her for whatsherface out of the Cocteau Twins. Nelee Hooper was, of course, very much involved in getting her and promoting Marge for I Want You, having been with her for Bedtime Stories.

Wasn’t it the other way around? I thought they rejected her for whatsherface out of the Cocteau Twins. Nelee Hooper was, of course, very much involved in getting her and promoting Marge for I Want You, having been with her for Bedtime Stories.

Oh that might be it. It will be worth looking into when I get the chance if someone doesn't beat me to it. I have been remembering it as one wanted her and one didn't.

From a MA interview with The Guardian in 2019

The fight was about Teardrop, still their biggest-selling single; Del Naja and Marshall wanted former Cocteau Twins frontwoman Liz Fraser on vocals. Mushroom secretly sent the track to Madonna, who loved it and called, keen to record it. Having already worked with her in 1995 on a cover of Marvin Gaye’s I Want You – at the time, to Mushroom’s fury – Del Naja was incandescent and turned her down. He won’t comment on it now. “It was hard,” he shrugs. “I guess that is what I remember of Mezzanine: it was a proper struggle.”

Love reading stuff like that. You’d never know it was a struggle. Then again, The Beatles produced Abbey Road while barely being able to be in the same room. Sometimes struggle is good. Mezzanine is a masterpiece.

Love reading stuff like that. You’d never know it was a struggle. Then again, The Beatles produced Abbey Road while barely being able to be in the same room. Sometimes struggle is good. Mezzanine is a masterpiece.
Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is probably the alpha and the omega of all 'band struggle' albums :disco:

Looking back, OH FATHER really was a QUEER CHOICE OF SINGLE, wasn't it? I mean, I get it, they wanted something to keep the album selling in the new year and she was busy off doing Evita and they didn't know IF/WHEN another single would be coming and didn't want to fart out One More Chance without a video but I can't remember at all but I can't think it got the REMOTEST bit of attention anywhere- there was fuck all airplay from memory and I don't remember the video being played. I'm surprised they didn't go with a reissue/remix package or the suchlike. It was just so LIMP. Definitely her strangest single release off the top of my head...

Of course, she trolled the lot of them by not doing a video for One More Chance either and going with a remix of a 12 year old album track instead, but Y'KNOW... :D

What else was on the Oh Father CD single?

Spiceworld vs. Abbey Road - YES THIS IS A POLL :disco:

I finally ordered the super deluxe vinyl of Abbey Road last night when I was bored in bed. A friend keeps telling me it's their masterpiece but I've been waiting til I find their albums until I get them with The Beatles and I've just never found it cheap enough. I'm excited for its arrival.

More importantly, WHY AM I BORED IN BED, MOOPY? WHY?

Yeah, "Oh Father" was so random and I still can't get my head around it. She might as well have just released 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore' internationally.

'One More Chance' annoyed me so much at the time because I was so CONVINCED that with a video it would have gone top 10.

What I will say is that I find quite a lot of the Oh Father cd singles in places like the tip. I always buy them as you usually can get a fiver ish for them on Discogs. I must have sold a good 5 or 6 in the past few years.

Yeah, "Oh Father" was so random and I still can't get my head around it. She might as well have just released 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore' internationally.

'One More Chance' annoyed me so much at the time because I was so CONVINCED that with a video it would have gone top 10.

Well she couldn't have done that at the time because it also didn't have a video. Indeed, LDLHA was a lot later- the US clearly wouldn't release without a video so it was filmed when she was heavily pregnant and well after the campaign had ended in the UK. I wish we'd got it as a single, but I think it would have been her biggest miss to date to that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom