Tattoos?

I was speaking to a man at work yesterday with (presumably) his wife's name up his forearm in gothic sxript. The name? "SENGA" :disco: :D

What did your parents think Jae?

Thanks Moopy! :) My parents don't know and probably will never know. I'm not the type to wear a bikini nor bralets, so the odds of accidental exposure are low.

Slightly less ballistic than if they found out I'm gay or smoking. They don't like tattoos for two reasons, firstly it's a sign of gang affiliation (to the older generation), and secondly there are 2 Chinese sayings that "your body comes from your parents, so don't hurt it" and "cutting yourself open brings bad fortune for 7 years, so don't hurt it." I've begrudgingly gotten them to see some designs (I.E. the style that I have) as artistic and not necessarily a sign that I rule the streets nor walk them. Of course there are gangsters who share my taste in body art, but that's not the point. The point is, I did it for artistic reasons.

I have been questioning if I'm going through a rebellious stage properly for the first time in my 20 years. At this point, it feels cathartic to stretch the limits as far as possible without overstepping them (explicitly in a way that's punishable) So bending rules without breaking them. My parents and family at large have very restrictive and prescriptive ideas on how their kids should look and behave, even without good reasons beyond "we're conservative". As cliche as it sounds, I need some space to do my own thing.

Jæjæ peace out.

I wish I was (a) cool enough and (b) had nice enough arms for a tattoo. I love tattoos on nice arms.

Gay, tattoos and smoking? Jaejae you're a REBEL!!

I'll take credit for the first two. Doubt I'll ever get around to smoking with my asthma. But I already look like the heroine butch you don't want to be caught in a dark alley with. Probably my current Chelsea girl inspired haircut has something to do with that.

So, this may be a combination of lockdown boredom and a MIDLIFE CRISIS, but I think I want some INK

Reactions: GNL
Those of you that have them... what's the best way to choose an artist? There are three places near me. Should I look for reviews?

So, this may be a combination of lockdown boredom and a MIDLIFE CRISIS, but I think I want some INK

1896.jpg

Those of you that have them... what's the best way to choose an artist? There are three places near me. Should I look for reviews?

I have none, but people I know who have them usually check out the local artists on instagram to see which ones have a style that they like (but also look at the reviews to ensure you're not about to get CONNED).

If you have a particular design in mind, I would choose an artist based on what they're good at. I was wanting someone who would be particularly good at line work, so I googled around for London tattoo artists and found the guy who did the one on my arm. Instagram can be quite good for discovering people too.

Back in the day, there used to be various tattoo conventions that came to London too which I also found helpful for research.

All three of the local parlours have galleries of their artists' work and most of them seem to be on Instagram too. Good. I will probably end up going for the ones who do the most gothy shit. I want skulls and bats and stars and shit basically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom