Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ameraal

la loi de murphy
in honour of its 20th anniversary last year and vinyl issue this may (want!). this is easily my favourite album by them, it was an absolute staple of my uni years. i still vividly remember dancing to five fathoms (club 69 remix, as was in vogue back then), crying to no difference and crydancing to temperamental.

and i keep hearing (and playing) the future of the future too, which to this day is everything.

One of my favourite albums EVER

But then so is Walking Wounded, so I can’t quite say if it’s my favourite EBTG ever, but is close...

so many great tunes but the two singles remain absolutely seminal to me. They are from a very happy glowy time...

Despite being a casual fan of Trace and EBTG I think this is my first ever listen :o

I really liked it but it suffered for me from following on from the pretty perfect Walking Wounded album that fused their old and new sounds perfectly. It’s such a strong record though. I played all the post EBTG solo Tracey records recently so I’ll go back to this too.

Last edited:
Thanks for this topic @ameraal

Been listening this afternoon. Obviously I knew about half of it, but what a treat.

Those remixes at the end to boot.

Temperamental Hex Hector Remix :disco::disco::disco: overload.

So this thread has got me into them again as well as Trace solo. I can’t believe the remix album “Adapt or Die” passed me by, a pretty stellar tracklist.

Track listing & details
Track Listings

1. Mirrorball (DJ Jazzy Jeff Sole Full Remix)
  2. Before Today (Adam F Remix)
  3. Missing (CL McSpadden Unreleased Powerhouse Mix)
  4. Corcovado (Knee Deep Remix/Ben Watt Vocal Re-Edit)
  5. Rollercoaster (King Britt Scuba Mix)
  6. Downhill Racer (Kenny Dope Remix)
  7. Single (Brad Wood Memphis Remix)
  8. Walking Wounded (Dave Wallace Remix)
  9. Five Fathoms (Kevin Yost Everything And A Groove Mix/Ben Watt Edit)
  10. Lullaby Of Clubland (Jay 'Sinister' Sealee Remix)
  11. Temperamental (Pull Timewarp Remix)
  12. Blame (Fabio Remix)
  13. Wrong (Todd Terry Unreleased Freeze Mix)
  14. Driving (Acoustic Mix)

God Future Of The Future is just :disco: x INFINITY!

Like the Pet Shop Boys, my love for ETBTG just grows more and more as I age (although not for anything before Amplified Heart aside from a few select tracks lol).
I love how the Walking Wounded album seems to be being reconsidered as the proper LIFE CHANGING, GENRE SHAPING classic of classics it deserves to be too
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/everything-but-the-girl-walking-wounded/

Is Five Fathoms my favourite? Is it Before Today? WHO KNOWS! But such magic and alchemy is so so so so rare to have.

I have very special moments from Five Fathoms from time to time. Temperamental the song too. There's something so, so special about them.

I'm not massively in love with the DnB tracks from this album, the ones on WW are better, but apart from that, this album is incredible. No Difference is one of the best chillout tracks of all time, no exaggeration. They love it too as they added it to their handpicked Like The Deserts Miss The Rain compilation.

11 Five Fathoms
08 Low Tide Of The Night
06 Blame
09 Hatfield 1980
10 Temperamental
05 Compression
08 Downhill Racer
10 Lullaby Of Clubland
10 No Difference
10 The Future Of The Future

Five Fathoms is just incredible. THOSE LYRICS! It's all so completely evocative. The "I walk the city late at night..." opening line transports me there EVERY TIME.

I remember at the time thinking the video was a CHEAP MESS, but I properly love it now.
It really stands up as a total time capsule for what the song is all about. Almost quite VISIONARY (:eyes:) to tie the visuals so closely to the world that birthed the song and album.

There's a really good Temperamental retrospective piece here > https://thequietus.com/articles/27151-temperamental-everything-but-the-girl-anniversary-review
although it bizarrely calls out COMPRESSION as the best song on the album?
I personally really like a lot of the soulful side of drum and bass that was around at the time (4Hero, Roni Size, Goldie) but Compression for me is the one track on the album I almost always skip as it just goes on for SO LONG!

I do absolutely HATE the ugly ass Temperamental album cover though :D
4c275b77efe32c1e412ce0bdad5_1569173828_crop_550x550.jpg

How did the band that gifted us one of the best album covers ever (Walking Wounded) arrive at THAT ugly illustration as the one to front it all :D

PERFECTION! :
51yWn%2Bbe7gL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom