Tenet

Vote

• Total voters

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
No thread for the movie that will save cinemas/cause another outbreak because everyone will go see it depending on who you ask?

Not that it matters cause the movie is fucking incomprehensible. And like I’m not a complete moron and I’ve seen time travel movies before (which are far from my favorite genre) but this piece of shit movie makes no sense and has so many plot holes.

Between the mumbled speech (why does he have such a hard on for men wearing masks?) and the truly embarrassing dialogue (if I can’t have you no one can) :manson: it’s impossible to keep track. The last hour is just one messy action scene.

It’s like he gets worse with each movie he makes.

I'm just out of seeing it (first time back at the cinema since they re-opened) and it was a bit meh.

The action sequences were good but it was all so emotionally hollow, there isn't a single character to root for, and it took a good 90 minutes to figure out what the plot was.

The Nolan fanboys will lap this up but for me, he's been on a decline since "Inception".

There are no characters, we learn very little about them throughout the movie and then they try and shove an emotional moment at the end.

This really was utter pretentious nonsense, but I enjoyed it anyway. I can't tell if Christopher Nolan is subtly quite funny or just so painfully self-serious that his bad dialogue reads as hilarious. I strongly suspect it's the latter, actually.

"I THOUGHT YOU SAID YOU SPOKE ESTONIAN!" was my biggest laugh line. :D

It was tiresome

Mr Jyxz wanted to leave halfway through. Plus I had trouble hearing some of the lines as the sound was muffled (or I’m just getting old)

Oh the sound was AWFUL! So much muffled expository dialogue spoken through headsets during car chases while the soundtrack blared obtrusively in the background.

I made peace with not having a clue what was going on about 20 minutes in and just enjoyed the absurdity.

And the suits. Such lovely suits. :disco:

Oh. And Michael Caine’s new teeth seemingly not a good fit!
Those GNASHERS did him dirty (as did every sibilant in his lines :D)

Well, that happened. Something like this is probably always where Nolan was going to end up given free rein, so there it is. I was entertained for the duration and by turns baffled and intrigued by the plot. Did it pay off by the end? Not really. I didn't think the action was all that (and certainly not good enough to show a couple of sequences twice, especially as they weren't as good in reverse) and the final battle was a real shoulder shrug moment where I half gave up trying to follow who was who.

Lovely ear-splitting soundtrack though, lovely Aaron Taylor-Johnson too, and lovely Queen Ken who was a splendidly unhinged baddie, wound so tight he was ready to go postal at any moment.

Branagh was great fun, but I had zero sympathy for Elizabeth Debicki's rich bitch and her clear future Tory MP son.

I did chuckle at Clémence Poésy explaining the science and then telling us not to bother following it as we wouldn't understand it anyway :D

Branagh was great fun, but I had zero sympathy for Elizabeth Debicki's rich bitch and her clear future Tory MP son.
Totally. Making her having sympathy for her the lynchpin of the plot seemed odd. Why would John David Washington be more concerned with saving her than saving the planet? She almost fucked the plan up anyway!

It doesn’t help that Elizabeth Debiki (who’s a great actress) played the exact same role on The Night Manager.

She was still the only character with an arc.

Also the fact that her crazy murderous husband needed a forged painting to blackmail her to stay. Like he would kill you if you left him, he doesn’t need all that.

Reactions: VoR
Well, it was stupid and so much unnecessary exposition. I swear there was a line at some point when a character asks a question about how it all works and the response was “don’t worry about that”.

I really just sat back and enjoyed some cool action sequences, because it stopped making sense about halfway through, even Robert Pattinson looked like he didn’t know what was going on and he was supposed to be the character with the most knowledge. Plus I always thought the issue with Nolan was the terribly loud and forgettable Hans Zimmer scores, but this one was even worse, yet Ludwig Goransson’s other work is perfectly fine, so I guess Nolan is the issue. Honestly it made Man of Steel sound positively melodic.

Letterboxd reviews are quite interesting, as the comments next to the 4-5 star ratings don’t seem to reflect the high scores.

Letterboxd reviews are quite interesting, as the comments next to the 4-5 star ratings don’t seem to reflect the high scores.

Letterboxd is full on Nolan fanboys who will rate his films that highly whether they actually like them or not.

Well, it was stupid and so much unnecessary exposition. I swear there was a line at some point when a character asks a question about how it all works and the response was “don’t worry about that”.
There was indeed
I did chuckle at Clémence Poésy explaining the science and then telling us not to bother following it as we wouldn't understand it anyway :D
I loved the score and sound design in general but the mixing was a bit of disaster in terms of being able to understand dialogue, espcially given the masks and the propensity to have key exposition happen in noisy vehicles

Zimmer's scores for Nolan have been excellent to date. Dunkirk is a favourite ("Supermarine" is roof raising stuff) but Inception is fantastic too. Goransson felt a bit second fiddle but seeing as it wasn't really about the tunes rather than the atmosphere, it worked fine.

I *adored* the Interstellar score. Dunkirk was excellent too. Yep, his scores aren’t really about hummable tunes, they’re much more about creating atmosphere.

I *adored* the Interstellar score. Dunkirk was excellent too. Yep, his scores aren’t really about hummable tunes, they’re much more about creating atmosphere.
Atmosphere that leaves me reaching for the earplugs! I wish I could find that video someone made of Christopher Reeve reacting to Hans Zimmer’s score to Man of Steel.

Atmosphere that leaves me reaching for the earplugs! I wish I could find that video someone made of Christopher Reeve reacting to Hans Zimmer’s score to Man of Steel.

Oh I admit I FAR prefer more classical scores, than the “drones” that pass for scores in some movies these days.

This felt like a parody of all his movies so far. A complete load of nonsense that I loved every second of :D It was like watching a video game.

hated the execution of this movie, hated debicki.

liked the main actor, liked pattinson, liked branagh. liked the humour and the style.

honestly wondering what's the point of making unique physical art if it will end up the property of some rich asshole criminal in a safe in an offshore zone.

Well, it was stupid and so much unnecessary exposition.

I wish someone could point me towards the 'unnecessary exposition'. I hadn't the foggiest what was going on from beginning to end to be honest. I could have done with an audio track over the top of someone explaining what the point was throughout.

A few fun action sequences, but really this was a completely incoherent mess.

Finally saw this last night. I spent approximately 82% of it in a state of "Wait...hang on a sec...what?". I suspect it might work better as a book because you’d have time to dwell on the pseudo-science, but in a film that's meant to be entertaining? Nah, it just doesn't work. Oh and you don't give a shit about anyone in it, which I always feel is a huge problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom