Tess Merkel: Good Life - No Record Label

Rate it!

• Total voters

Hak

User
Tess, you tried hun :amlife:

Was it worth the effort?
Worth it even though she'll now have to mortgage up her home to pay the bills after being shunned by all the record labels?

Or as Tess herself puts it:
- "I'm not going to downplay myself here, but the reception from label managers wasn't like 'Wow, here comes Alcazar-Tess, 50+! Now let's fucking bang in the Melodifestival!'"

- "It had to go independent so it could stay pleasure-driven. Right now I have no idea how this will pay off. Things will work out in some way. I have probably saved one-two bucks that I ripped off of Alcazar, so if I can use those to express myself in some form of entertainment, then that's exactly what we need right now. I work with entertainment. I'm not Mariah Carey or ... uh there are so many talented people, but for me it's the show that matters. If I am not allowed to entertain, I will die a bit inside."

Last edited:
I thought the song was only okay and something about the performance didn't click for me. She seems nice though and I wish her well

I thought the song was only okay and something about the performance didn't click for me. She seems nice though and I wish her well

This is where I sit as well, I have nothing but LOVE for Tess, GODDESS of SUCCESS. But it felt far too disjointed as a song and the performance didn't radiate enough joy for me. Such a painfully obvious 5th placer as the night went along.

A total 5th placer, but I properly love it in studio form and I really think it'll stay in rotation with me for a good while.

Bless her for throwing a bunch of money at giving it a proper performance too, even if it didn't QUITE work. That's a big issue with Melfest these days - you can REALLY tell who has record label money behind them and who doesn't.

I do think they overdid it with the choreography, it needed to be less robotically "perfect" and more alive and animated. I still give her a pass though, it's easy to get messed up in the details when you are managing everything around your performance yourself and singing live for the first time.

I'm very impressed she managed to scare up such a professional production with the limited resources she had and from a visual concept standpoint it's definitely in my top 5 this year. Had Tess just been able to radiate a tad more energy I believe she'd gone through over that Justin Bieber knock-off :zombie:

Last edited:
I thought it was great. I miss this a lot more than Horizon.

• Care
Reactions: Hak
It all looked and sounded like a Kylie tribute act. Not necessarily a bad thing but it didn’t come together the way it should have on the night.

What is the source of the microphone isolated videos? Are they reliable?

Is this one showing that she didn’t sing at all in the chorus?

What is the source of the microphone isolated videos? Are they reliable?

Is this one showing that she didn’t sing at all in the chorus?

I think they’re just created by someone who has surround sound as there’s usually a track devoted to vocals.

OK so if having Tess (and Jess I suppose) crashing out in 5th was the price we needed to pay to get Charlotte into the final then so be it.

I did think this was hard done by though and she clearly put a lot into it - including hours watching Infinite Disco.

'' If I am not allowed to entertain, I will die a bit inside." :(

As opposed to the youth that advanced to AC and looked like he was dying outwardly while performing.

I love it. Melodifestivalen could do with more Kylie tributes in my book.

I love how she subtly (or coincidently?) shoe-horned in references to her solo lines in "Stay the Night" and "Not A Sinner Nor A Saint". :D

I would've loved for this to go further, absolutely brilliant slice of pop. Helas, not meant to be but Tess definitely gave it her all in the performance and I am grateful for her for blessing us with this absolute WONDERLAND of a song and performance.

I have to be completely honest with my authentic self

Right now, song for song, I DO like this more than Still Young.

Obviously as a whole package Charlotte still wins. But this is SUCH a bop on record.

Poor Tess :D She can't even get a firm wave of support on an internet forum full of GAYS with her Kylie tribute :D

One Touch remains my gay FLOP of MF choice this year :D Sorry Good Life, good good WOOP!

I'm 100% on board with the studio version of this now.

Still feel the performance just wasn't all that.

Does she still have a GOOD LIFE ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom