Texas - Inner Smile

Cause you make me feel..

• Total voters
At the time I loved how they launched their greatest hits with two of the strongest singles of their career. Very well played, no wonder it sold shedloads.

This is very good, and a quite glorious vocal from Ms Spiteri.

Its a good song but was overplayed at the time and the video annoyed me.

Of their big singles they had better, IMO!

It is a great song but not their best for me. They peaked with the singles from White on Blonde and The Hush.

At the time I loved how they launched their greatest hits with two of the strongest singles of their career. Very well played, no wonder it sold shedloads.

I know it's irrelevant these days, but I do miss how exciting a Greatest Hits launch could be. There was always so much to be invested in - was it the right time? Did they have a single or two strong enough to push it? Would people care? Fuck, I miss all of that so much

Texas got it so right here. I assume they/the record company were quite rightly capitalising on years of treading water before finally finding success, so the whole project made sense and was perfect at the time - and then those two singles!

It's so sad my Spotify doesn't have the 2001 remix of I Don't Want A Lover :gross:
Ugh it’s horrible, the original is SO MUCH BETTER.
But then I like the first three (pre WoB) albums !

Ugh it’s horrible, the original is SO MUCH BETTER.

I've always held it as a nice curio, I liked how Shania Twain-ed that version was. After a while of looking for it, it's nowhere to be found on Youtube either!

I know it's irrelevant these days, but I do miss how exciting a Greatest Hits launch could be. There was always so much to be invested in - was it the right time? Did they have a single or two strong enough to push it? Would people care? Fuck, I miss all of that so much

Texas got it so right here. I assume they/the record company were quite rightly capitalising on years of treading water before finally finding success, so the whole project made sense and was perfect at the time - and then those two singles!

hard agree on this
A GH could be many things, a contract completing fullstop on a career, a cash-in between albums, or just sometimes it became the culmination of an era, or a crystallisation of their legacy.

a well thought-out GH was a glorious object

In Demand is my fave from them I think.

I think it was around Black Eyed Boy and Summer Son that they were BLOODY HUGE though, couldn't get away from them. Were they big in the states?

In Demand is my fave from them I think.

I think it was around Black Eyed Boy and Summer Son that they were BLOODY HUGE though, couldn't get away from them. Were they big in the states?
I seem to recall it wasn't even released in the USA. I don't want a lover is their only song to chart over there

I hope they put the shitty angel wings on right before El Diablo.

Are they in the same heat?
Texas for melfest 2022. Sharleen Spiteri in angel get-up how could they lose ?

This and Halo are amazing, to that I confess.

Inner Smile is outer lesbian Shirleen's best vocal. That falsetto yeah-ooh-yeah bit is pure Cyndi delirium to my ears, so much so I wish she had sang it instead.

01. Halo
02. Inner Smile
03. Saint
04. I'll See It Through
05. Just Hold On
06. Getaway
07. Get Down Tonight (Shirl's Personal Rachel Stevens Jesus moment)
08. When We Are Together (I'd love Diana Ross to cover this, Phil Collins' Two Hearts, Stop by the Spice Girls and Don't Call Me Baby by both Geri Halliwell and Madison Avenue)
09. Cry
10. Red Book (so raspy, whimsical and gorgeous - just don't bite that red apple Shirley's holding out kids. Those oo's ooze out every bit of badness and fill you with love, I'm having a moment to it this very moment)

Red Book is rather decent actually. I may have been really wrong about them, having long been out off by seeing them as RIP-off merchants (Masterthief indeed). I should give Shirl a whirl more. Never heard any other LP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom