Teyana Taylor - The Album (3rd album glow-up)

Jark

User
Damn.

This came out Friday and beyond the incredible artwork/art direction, the music is also REALLY high quality. It's 23 songs and 1:17 long which is ridiculous, but everything is high quality. It's ridiculous.

Guest spots for Kehlani, Ms Lauryn Hill, Quavo, Missy, Future, Erykah Badu, Big Sean, Rick Ross and others...

I would begin by cherry picking Boomin', How You Want It? (amazing), We Got Love (with Ms Lauryn Hill), Wake Up Love, Lose Each Other, Killa, Bad... but then just put it on shuffle or let it play through. A properly great record.

@dUb @northernlad @KindaCool @FetchFugly @Whatevar

Last edited:
I need more time with it, as it's SO LONG. But I really like it so far, sort of somewhere tonally between A Seat At The Table and The Miseducation Of.

There is a LOT of borrowing from other songs though...not a bad thing, just very familiar. Boomin is basically a couple of shades away from being a straight-up cover of Blaque's 808 :D

...and Ever Ever is more like a remix of Lauryn Hill's The Sweetest Thing, same with the Erykah Badu track basically being a Next Lifetime remix, and Tell Me What You Want having more than a whiff of Ma$e & Total's Tell Me What You Want (although that was based on another song anyway)

Not a bad thing at all, but she CERTAINLY wears her influences very boldly on her sleeve :D

Last edited:
Boomin' feels like it goes on for about 15 minutes. And I mean that as a compliment. What a vibe.

Yes there are homages everywhere, that's just how she rolls. It feels like a very timeless album to me. Could've been released in 1998 or 2010, but feels totally fresh. Beautiful production and melodies across the board, not a song I can't vibe with.

Ironic that she's called this "The Album" as it sounds FAR MORE like a mixtape you'd drop, before releasing your actual album a year later to me.

It's good, but I find Teyana herself a bit anonymous in the whole project.
The (incredible) artwork is an homage to Grace Jones, the album pulls SO HEAVILY from other songs from the late 90's it's quite distracting (I've had 808 by Blaque on repeat as a result of Boomin for example).

Still going to have it on repeat during this week's heatwave though :disco:

How You Want It? is such a fucking GREAT song, that beat goes very hard indeed. Diddy's son's feature verse also SLAPS, he sounds a lot like his dad.

@dUb are you not on this train?

God remember the days when albums were this long?!

I might pop it on while I clean out my cupboards :D

I’ve just put this on spotify and can see there is also a side b EP?! Bitch please :D

I’ve just put this on spotify and can see there is also a side b EP?! Bitch please :D
They've split the album into five EPs ("suites"). Theyre not numbered A to E. A bit confusing

I feel like @dUb in the Jessie Ware thread but the songs really merged in to one, I’ll give it another go though, because y’know anything for my sister @Jark

Sorry Jark, I don't think this is for me. There's only so many mid-tempo slow jams with no tune I can take!

I just googled "mid-tempo slow jams" as I thought it was probably an oxymoron so I wanted to see if anyone else had used it and the first one I found was in an Amazon review for Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel :D

So maybe there's hope yet

Reactions: SDF
Finally sat down to listen to this. It's in serious need of quality control. Most of the album sounds the same. It goes on too long with the same arrangements.

They being said, Come Back to Me, How You Like It and Wake Up Love are brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom