That ship stuck in the Suez Canal

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
Obviously it's a mildly amusing incident, which happened a week ago, but I just needed an excuse to share this tweet.

There was talk the other day that a lot of the cargo ships stuck in the queue had livestock on board which were not only in danger of starvation but all of their waste would be building up too. Imagine the stench.

Astonishing that they didn't pre empt this in the 1860s and make it wider.

3450ADF9-1329-496C-91DB-671A71FD75A2.jpeg

This is absolutely me. Why can't they just give it a bit of a push on one side to straighten it out?

Because it's really, really heavy and is stuck in wet sand so they have to be able to actually lift it up out of the sand to make it move and the longer it stays stuck in the sand the deeper the bottom of it sinks into the sand and more sand builds up at the sides (because the Suez Canal is just a free-flowing seawater canal). In addition to that the bow was lodged in rocks, got damaged and now the forward tanks are taking on water.

I watch far too many mega-transport programmes.

Because it's really, really heavy and is stuck in wet sand so they have to be able to actually lift it up out of the sand to make it move and the longer it stays stuck in the sand the deeper the bottom of it sinks into the sand and more sand builds up at the sides (because the Suez Canal is just a free-flowing seawater canal). In addition to that the bow was lodged in rocks, got damaged and now the forward tanks are taking on water.

Bit trickier than I thought, then. I've revised my plan and I now think they should blow it up.

I may be entirely making this up, but I believe that this weekend's full moon near the equinox is the very highest the tides will be for the rest of the year, meaning that it is only going to get harder to move the ship after tonight.

I may be entirely making this up, but I believe that this weekend's full moon near the equinox is the very highest the tides will be for the rest of the year, meaning that it is only going to get harder to move the ship after tonight.

I donā€™t know about this specific bit of water but thats not how tides work. You do get variations, springs and neaps, but they happen twice a month

omg does that mean it could be stuck there FOREVER?

I donā€™t know about this specific bit of water but thats not how tides work. You do get variations, springs and neaps, but they happen twice a month
Spring and neap tides happen twice a month, but the highest spring tides of the year are the ones nearest to the equinoxes. I think.

Actually I WANT a container vessel pile up.

Just for the memes of course. Don't wanna risk not getting that Postman Pat cosplay outfit with full genitalia from Wish.com not arriving.
If enough ships get stuck can they not just use them as a bridge and get everything across that way?

If everyone jumps at the same time or blows in the same direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom