The Arthouse Lounge

Zu

User
I saw Kore-eda’s ‘Shoplifters’ yesterday. It’s still with me :(

That’s a 10/10, obviously

I watched the late AGNES VARDA's FACES PLACES and it was SIMPLY WONDERFUL MY DARLINGS

“Are you afraid of death?”
“I don’t think so. I think about it a lot. I don’t think I’m afraid, but I might be at the end. I’m looking forward to it.”
“Really, why?”
“Because that’ll be that.”

:(:)

Reactions: Zu
I’m still rather devastated by it. That poor little girl :(

Well, poor EVERYONE

i wasn’t quite prepared for it. it certainly wrongfooted me for the first half.

I definitely didn’t expect what happened in the second half. Mind you, I was too busy worrying about them getting caught nicking noodles :(

Obviously MADAME really should have won the gong in 2018 for her services to stylish nylon wigs in the incredible career highlight ‘Eva’ (:tongueout:) but that aside, this SO deserved the Palme d’Or :disco:

Actually I realise that doesn’t make any sense, given that the Palme d’Or is awarded to films not actors, but any excuse to crowbar in another reference to MADAME :side-eye:

they should really just create an entire award especially for MADAME at this year’s festival. and then every year after that. :disco:

Oh I SHOULD SAY SO!

I see that the rather drearily entitled ‘Frankie’ is in competition at Cannes this year - it’s another one in English - so that should get the party started, even if MADAME is THIRD on the list of featured actors on the Wikipedia page. The NERVE!

or Nobody Knows, God that one's even sadder than Shoplifters :(

Oh I SHOULD SAY SO!

I see that the rather drearily entitled ‘Frankie’ is in competition at Cannes this year - it’s another one in English - so that should get the party started, even if MADAME is THIRD on the list of featured actors on the Wikipedia page. The NERVE!

She is the only one on the poster though! They obviously know who will sell the film :disco:

Same!

The trailer for this looks FAB, despite the moody lesbian, and i do love Laura Dern when she’s playing OFFBEAT.

I once hacked the JT Leroy email and read all the hate mail she received after the hoax was revealed. :D

It was back in the day of HOTMAIL and when security was ridiculously lax and you just had to answer the ONE QUESTION if you forgot your password, and her answer was the rather incredibly obvious “Alice In Wonderland”.

There were a few death threats and lots of OUTRAGE, and she’d put them all in a folder entitled “Meanies”. :D

Here’s something for all those of us with dark and whirling minds to look forward to

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...-great-literary-hoaxer?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I’ve always been fascinated by this whole very strange business and I absolutely LOVED those books

Have you seen the JT Leroy documentary? It's so good. And before @Mats asks, Mrs Beverley got me into it!

I'm really here for this; I'm particularly interested in the Asia Argento stuff. I can't quite decide if she's horrid.

I saw High Life with Robert Pattinson the other week. Despite a stellar trailer, it was almost painfully slow and not especially interesting even when it did get eventually get a move on. I thought it was really boring.

I have NEVER got on with Clare Denis. I mean, i’ve only seen three, of which High Life is one of them, but each one has left me feeling the same way - NOT THAT IMPRESSED.

I thought High Life was really slow and very hard to follow but I’m willing to give it another go now that I have a better understanding of what it is.

I think we need a new thread with the best contemporary foreign films.

if it gets a release/screening in the UK, definitely go see new Danish movie Queen of Hearts (Dronningen) starring Trine Dyrholm. hot semi-incestuous drama. probably the best Danish incest movie since Festen :disco:

Everyone should watch Border, for some freaky Swedish action.

And another good foreign movie is Birds of Passage, it looks stunning and there’s a ruthless matriarch who appealed to my homosexuality.

:D Poor @Mats!

I suggest that a kindly mod start the Arthouse Lounge thread with post #19 followed by #20 and #23, and good luck with working out what else should be moved over after that :tongueout:

Would the secret-revealing @Mugatu be so kind as to set up the luxurious new Arthouse Lounge for us? I’ll bring the cognac, macadamias and digital remaster of ‘Three Colours: Blue’ :disco:

Done!

All I know about arthouse is that referring to movies as Kino apparently impresses people so if anyone wants some other Kino posts moved here then flag them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom