The Arthouse Lounge

I'm off to see THE SOUVENIR on Friday

"terribly slow and exceedingly opaque, yet oddly compelling"

WE'LL SEE

After 1 hour and 10 minutes of this 2 hour movie, sheer utter drudgery that good acting couldn't save, I couldn't wait to get out and run to the nearest bar for a stiff drink
a film that really felt like watching paint dry.
It was horrendously boring, awful, not in the slightest bit entertaining, simply dreadful
I wasted bus fare, cinema ticket fees, sweets and tea money and I'm living on the poverty line! Now I'm sitting here at home seriously pissed off at the waste of an evening.

Yeah but did you LIKE it?

I thought it was FINE but it certainly seems to have DIVIDED the PUNTERS :D

Days fading into nights, fading into day. Day and night creeping together to a gray nothingness, and no thought. Only each minute's fear of the next. So tired after six days without a moment's rest. And so restless, through the slow hours of night. I lost any consciousness of will and then nothing at all. A gray nothingness. I didn't even have a second to measure pain by, there being now no time without pain, thus pain cease to exist.

i kno hun. pm me x

Last edited:
I finally got round to seeing this yesterday and OH MY. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Also, as previously advised, it features the lovely Franz :disco:

I was a bit confused as to who was who at the beginning but that turns out to be quite relevant to the story itself. Nothing to do with my constant state of bewilderment OBVIOUSLY

My TIFF movies

09 Bacurau - great Brazilian movie with some Tarantino influence without the problematic stuff

07 Maria’s Paradise - competent but not the most exciting movie about a cult that was generally bad

07 No. 7 Cherry Lane - weird erotic Chinese animation with recreation of Simone Signoret movies and even a tribute to Sunset Boulevard

06 True History of the Kelly Family - Good Essie Davis playing a lady Macbeth type mother but it really adored Ned Kelly to the point that his actions didn’t make sense and the last act had so many strobe lights it gave me a headache

03 Instinct - Rape thriller that I just didn’t get and it didn’t sit well with me

06 True History of the Kelly Family

:disco::disco::disco: except it turns out to not be about THE Kelly Family. What a horrible disappointment :(

Here’s a treat for fans, given I’ve crowbarred them into the hot lounge chat :disco:

the-kelly-family-1492562125.2.2560x1440.jpg

:D “Papa Kelly loved all the children, maybe a bit too much. We all lived in the caravan and didn’t get the chance to have many baths, so we loved it when we found a canal and could undress for a nice soapy dip and rub.”

ETCETERA

I've got two movies on the to-watch post-it. Oh Lucy!, a Japanese movie NOT by Kore-eda but definitely inspired by the life of @Diddy, and Sauvage, another hot French gay drama

Did I ever recommend ‘Tehran: City of Love’? Oh it’s just marvellous and beautiful (and quietly upsetting) and on general release now. Well I say general. It’s on for a week in Cinema 2 at the ICA at least :side-eye:

Mr Shirl wanted to see that. Perhaps I'll GIVE IT A WHIRL on the TELLYBOX

Saw By the Grace of God (the French Spotlight), priests are horrible cunts.

I had a somewhat wonderful and wacky evening with Polanski's "Repulsion" last week which I'd somehow never seen. Deneuve was superbly dumb and blank throughout and you could see the hate for Polanski etched on her face as it got more and more out there :D

I’m watching this (again) for some Saturday evening giggles. Loving frigid Cath slumping round South Ken with a face like a slapped arse that’s been in the freezer for the last two years. I can’t remember much of what happens or indeed how it ends but I suspect that NOT VERY WELL might be a safe bet :tongueout:

Oh here comes the candlestick :disco:

I think this is the next German film to watch, geehrte Damen und Herren :germany:

if anyone's local pusher deals in Georgian wares there's a sweet GAY INTEREST treat with a Georgian Timothée out there

I watched this last night and whilst being a bit by the numbers I thought it was WONDERFUL and it made me cry.

I also watched this which also made me sob. The young actress is a REVELATION.

Mommy but harsher and without a fabulous Celine Dion scene? looks good mind

I watched Les Miserables the other night (the 2019 ghetto version)

very good and very current

I watched Les Miserables the other night (the 2019 ghetto version)

very good and very current
Oh really? I've got it on THE LIST but never really fancy it.

I watched this last night and it was indeed sublime. I can't stop thinking about it.

MV5BMjBkNGZlN2MtNjdhMS00MmZhLTlmNmUtODAwYTg4MTQ1ZmJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM2ODk1OTQ@._V1_SY1000_SX750_AL_.jpg

Ignore the daft Hollywood Reporter quote on the poster, but the NYT one that gets it spot on.

when I say 'very good' I mean required little in terms of time and thinking, like a gritty Intouchables. watch it when you don't want to think too hard and need to kill an hour and a half

I watched this last night and it was indeed sublime. I can't stop thinking about it.

MV5BMjBkNGZlN2MtNjdhMS00MmZhLTlmNmUtODAwYTg4MTQ1ZmJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM2ODk1OTQ@._V1_SY1000_SX750_AL_.jpg

Ignore the daft Hollywood Reporter quote on the poster, but the NYT one that gets it spot on.

I saw this a few weeks ago and it is indeed AMAZING.

when I say 'very good' I mean required little in terms of time and thinking, like a gritty Intouchables. watch it when you don't want to think too hard and need to kill an hour and a half
Oh really? I thought it was going to be quite the opposite and be all cerebral and heavy going!

Oh really? I thought it was going to be quite the opposite and be all cerebral and heavy going!

not at all! obviously a critique but nothing heavy-handed

I'm going to source Fin de Siglo. looks :love:

I liked Les Miserables cause I enjoy a good cop drama but I’d imagine It’s a bit tough to watch at this point in time.

I rather enjoyed Les Misérables. I thought the interplay between the different social groups was more interesting than the slightly tired good cop/bad cop stuff but that ending packed a punch.

8/10

Oh I had never seen this LITTLE GAY CHAT THREAD - I thought it was to do with banshee music or something :disco:

I've been rewatching Jacques Tati films while in lockdown - I mean they were not particularly ARTHOUSE in their time but I suppose nowadays they're as NICHE as silent films. 'Playtime' was great, but 'Mon oncle' was probably the funniest (although it does drag a bit towards the end).

I don't know why there's not a proper proper trailer but Kore-eda has toned down the Nippon hardships

and turned up the French drama with Deneuve and Binoche. WHAT

I believe this was going to premiere in the UK in March but corona pushed it to god knows when :( It looks frankly amazing. Reportedly, Binoche and Deneuve didn't really GET ON but then who has with OUR CHÈRE CATHERINE?

I watched this WEIRD 80s RECONSTRUCTED DOCUMENTARY about a police murder case in Texas called "The Thin Blue Line" last night... the whole story is a bit OFF and I was kind of expecting a SUDDEN PLOT TWIST at some point à la The Impostor but it never arrived. The film did apparently save the falsely-accused guy from the death row (after TWELVE YEARS mind you) so at least there was THAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom