The By-elections Thread - 2019-2024 edition

'End of the Party' would have been better....

great night for the Lib Dems, but it's clear that Labour should be concerned. their gains were nominal at best and there is subzero enthusiasm for Starmer.

I’m glad the Lib Dems parliamentary party is becoming more of a sausage fest. The men are now only outnumbered by 2 to 1.

Last edited:
A solid Labour seat even in the disastrous 2019 election, so probably not much to worry about.

Boo when I saw this thread bumped I hoped we were getting Windsor

The suspension would have eventually triggered a recall petition.

Report and press release here:

www.parliament.uk/business/news/2022/october-2022/independent-expert-panel-recommends-suspending-christian-matheson-mp-for-serious-sexual-misconduct/

Resignation statement:

“I have today, with great sadness, tendered my resignation as Member of Parliament for the City of Chester.

“This follows publication of a report which had found me guilty of sexual misconduct.

“From the start I accepted I had committed a minor breach of the code and had hoped that an honest and open approach would stand me in a fair light. This has proven not to be the case and I am dismayed that I have been found guilty of several allegations that I know to be untrue. Indeed my insistence on what I know to be true – that I had no sexual motivation in this matter - was held against me as a refusal to accept my guilt, and caused an increased sanction which I felt was disproportionate.

“Despite provable factual inaccuracies in the sanctions report, my appeal against sanction was not even considered, for the same reason.

“Therefore, I faced a suspension from the House of four weeks. Whilst I believe that this is an excessive and unfair penalty, I cannot challenge the process further. I believe that the honourable and right thing to do now is to resign my seat and seek to rebuild my life elsewhere. I would ask for privacy for my family. This matter has also caused a great toll on my health, requiring my hospitalisation, and I ask that my privacy is respected while I recover.

“I will forever be grateful to my constituency, and my party, for giving me the honour to serve, and I apologise to the people of Chester, and to the House of Commons, for the disrepute I have brought. I once again apologise to the complainant in my case, for the hurt I have caused.”

Thank TONY BENN for THAT

If the Labour Party carry on ASSAULTING MY KNOCKER at the CURRENT RATE it will QUITE WEAR OUT

Liz Wardlaw was an NHS nurse for 40 years. I always find it odd when such people run as Tory candidates, on a manifesto of improving health services/increasing funding.

It's a pretty safe Labour seat either way, but 69.5% would be the highest since the seat was created in 1997.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom