The Crown - Netflix Elizabeth II Drama

Also the exchange between Dodi and Diana where she talks about meeting a landmine survivor who lost his legs; compares his accident to her wedding day; and then Dodi says he's glad she didn't get her legs blown off by a landmine because they're so lovely, is some of the WORST DIALOGUE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED

Also the exchange between Dodi and Diana where she talks about meeting a landmine survivor who lost his legs; compares his accident to her wedding day; and then Dodi says he's glad she didn't get her legs blown off by a landmine because they're so lovely, is some of the WORST DIALOGUE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED
yes that really was excruciating

it has very obvious flaws but I still watched the whole thing in 2 days .. to think they really only were together for a few weeks. I really don’t care for the Royal
Family at all, but I admit to being slightly obsessed with Diana.

I’ve finished it now and enjoyed it but it was LOL terrible at times. THE GHOST OF DIANA was almost too much to bear.

I just finished episode 3 and i actually thought this scene was very sweet and well played. Diana is carrying the show single handedly (Elizabeth Debicki is so so so so good) so I'm scared for what comes next.

it does feel like it's fallen off a cliff a bit. maybe the 90s is just too recent. it doesn't seem capable of or interested in providing character insight anymore, it's kind of a glossy soap retelling of real life that fits Netflix to a T, but not the show's own history. the plotting and dialogue are going through the motions. all those endless scenes of paparazzi chases provide nothing. it doesn't even look particularly prestige now.

I binged it all last night - i can't say that it wasn't enjoyable even if it is a million miles away from the drama The Crown once was.

It’s weird how for instance doing a throwback to the 1960s in the 90s didn’t seem “too recent”, but depicting the 1990s now does. Or is it just US and our parents felt this way then too?

It’s weird how for instance doing a throwback to the 1960s in the 90s didn’t seem “too recent”, but depicting the 1990s now does. Or is it just US and our parents felt this way then too?
maybe a key difference is how much was televised, how intrusive the press were, etc by the 90s. tabloid culture. everyone knew everything at the time, immediately. there's less mystique to uncover.

episode 4 just made me want to watch The Queen again. I did however actually enjoy those ghost scenes. I'm too sentimental.

I'm fine with it being recent. I'd happily have it come more recent and finish with the 2012 Olympics (a nice optimistic note) or the Queen dying (a nice optimistic note, for us republicans :disco:) rather than, er, the wedding of Charles and Camilla which is apparently the final ep.

maybe a key difference is how much was televised, how intrusive the press were, etc by the 90s. tabloid culture. everyone knew everything at the time, immediately. there's less mystique to uncover.

episode 4 just made me want to watch The Queen again. I did however actually enjoy those ghost scenes. I'm too sentimental.
That’s true. I was thinking in terms of say the film Scandal with the Profumo affair. There’s still stuff under seal until 2047 regarding that. It it happened now we’d probably already know it all.

And I note they omitted to show that it was actually the Queen and Prince Philip who had Diana killed. Cowards.
Only watched episodes 1 and 2 just now and quite enjoyed how they present us with the motive of all the villains who are going to be suspects further on.

The Diana ghost is so camp, especially when she squirts over how handsome Charles was looking down on her corpse :disco:

Exclusive footage of Diana The Musical's new ending

Halloween Disney GIF by filmeditor

I’ve been really trudging through this garbage, so only finished the latest batch yesterday.

The ghost bit wasn’t *quite* as ludicrous as I hoped/feared - I thought Diana and Dodi essentially delivering each other’s eulogies minutes before the fateful car ride was actually more cringey. :D

Also maybe I’m sick, but the screeching tires and crashing noises when the moment came really tickled me. It was like something out of a Will Ferrell movie!

On the portrayal of the Al Fayeds generally, how much actually had any basis in verifiable fact? I know the dad was a fairly ludicrous figure, but the villain edit he got felt insanely heavy handed!

What in the Doctor Who Anniversary Special is this!?

View attachment 23063

Ha! I just said to Mr Sheena how I bet there will be some sort of “all queens together” moment and he said “don’t be ridiculous, that would be ludicrous”. I then gently reminded him that this was a programme with Dead Diana wandering around happily…

I feel like it's a bit better, these last five. The Princess Margaret episode is great with Lesley Manville giving her all.

I mean parts of it have been RIDICULOUS (the King Tony montage in particular) but still been a brilliant watch which I have whizzed through :disco:

Haven't finished it but so far
Kate's mom is portrayed like a pimp and Kate as a willing instrument.
Is that in line with what the public think?

The William meets Kate episode might be one of the worst pieces of television I've ever seen :D

The one where he meets her parents “wins” for me. Or is that the same one? I’m lost. Everything is melding into one. The very idea Wills would just pop round the Middletons to watch the jubilee and SIGNPOSTED SOCIAL CLIMBER Carole Middleton would then serve up a buffet with breadsticks in a mug (WE’RE SO NORMAL!) to the future King of England whilst he sat there dishing the T on his Nan was honestly hysterical. Utterly appalling drivel. I REMAIN HOOKED.

Last edited:
I do wonder if this season is a reaction to the criticism the programme got for being factually inaccurate, though. Those accusations led to “well it’s not meant to be real, it’s fiction based on fact” or some such bollocks, so they’ve decided to just make it entirely fictional/ unbelievable to counter that criticism.

The Queen and Marg popping out to a disco and LIZZIE basically getting off with a black man was the moment this popped into my head- FOR SOME REASON :D

I gave up on this after WWII era Lizzie but I might jump back in as it's starting to look like HIGH CAMP
I mean that pic of the three Lizzies is straight out of LACE

MV5BMTQ2Mjk5MzQ4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTE4NzI5._V1_QL75_UX190_CR0,11,190,281_.jpg

Jesus christ the exposition dump dialogue in the Kate episode by mama Middleton :D It's funny how they never used to get too bogged down with clunky exposition dialogue in the older seasons when the circumstances and backstories of characters were ancient history and not general knowledge.

SO DARLING AS YOU KNOW I WAS A STEWARDESS

I think my favourite was Harry's "I'M SUPPOSED TO BE THE DISAPPOINTING ONE, NOT YOU WILLS"

I need to find the right time to watch this - the first Di-focused half was entertaining but Willsmania was so tedious I had to turn it off.

I've just got to the bit where Kate Princess nee duchess of evil buys a big issue and I just can't continue sober.

So off I pop for some wine

• Haha
Reactions: VoR
The ‘What if young Liz got lit at a blitz club’ sub-plot of the Margaret episode was quite ludicrous, but Leslie Manville definitely elevated it.

The girl who played young Liz is the spit of Claire Foy but with a Snapchat Disney bambi eye filter. Bit weird they didn't have Claire Foy reprise the role for that episode as she hasn't really aged since she played Liz at pretty much the same age in season 1.

God that was a SLOG.

The Margaret episode really was the only positive of this DOG EGG of a season.

Hate whenever the camera cuts to that old woman who looks and sounds absolutely nothing like the Queen Mum! However she's just popped her clogs here 🎉

That was SHIT. The part with the staff singing along to the bagpipe player was Call The Midwife levels of contrived nonsense.

Reactions: VoR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom