The Environment ft Global Climate Change

I read some scientist sounding the alarm in the i and suddenly I feel quite alarmed about everything - there is no way we're going to keep cooling below 1.5c. probably it will hit 2c by the end of this decade.

and how, realistically, can any single government anywhere really do anything when governments change every 5 years, climate targets are dictated by industry and the elite class, and most ordinary people are more bothered about being able to afford to live in the present than about global warming and the future? how can any of this ever be addressed with wealth inequality what it is, and becoming more extreme by the day?

we're just fucked, right? but I don't think anyone realises to what degree. I really wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years there are no seasons anymore and mass food shortages everywhere... and here we are allowing the big talking points to be whether we phase out petrol cars by 2030 or 2035.

I can only defer to jojo's climate change anthem

COP 28 in Dubai seems like it was mostly a toothless bust due to the pernicious influence of Big Oil lobbyists, but I'm sure they'll right the ship on the next one in *checks notes* Azerbaijan.

COP 28 in Dubai seems like it was mostly a toothless bust due to the pernicious influence of Big Oil lobbyists, but I'm sure they'll right the ship on the next one in *checks notes* Azerbaijan.
the previlance of gulf oil money and soft power in so many aspects of western life now — sport, politics, climate policy — is really very disturbing.

it's a fucking outrage that the Saudis will host the 2034 World Cup. there's almost no footballing culture at all in the UAE. their own heavily financed league is a big budget flop. these decisions are being made purely for money and influence, and I really don't know how we're just standing by and letting it happen.

Cop28 was such a sham that the president was literally caught denying climate science. everybody knew it was never going to lead to anything fruitful. half of the delegates in attendance were fossil fuel lobbyists. why go through this charade? time is running out!

Reactions: GNL
Screenshot_20231216_111629_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231216_111541_Chrome.jpg
Tichina Arnold Reaction GIF by CBS

the previlance of gulf oil money and soft power in so many aspects of western life now — sport, politics, climate policy — is really very disturbing.

it's a fucking outrage that the Saudis will host the 2034 World Cup. there's almost no footballing culture at all in the UAE. their own heavily financed league is a big budget flop. these decisions are being made purely for money and influence, and I really don't know how we're just standing by and letting it happen.

Cop28 was such a sham that the president was literally caught denying climate science. everybody knew it was never going to lead to anything fruitful. half of the delegates in attendance were fossil fuel lobbyists. why go through this charade? time is running out!
The utter failure of the Saudi Pro League (so far) is a delight. Who would have guessed over paying a bunch of has beens and never weres wouldn’t be a winning formula?

Whilst I’m not sure it’s the right decision to host the World Cup there either (albeit that for certain contractual reasons I cannot and will not therefore denounce this decision personally :D ), I vehemently disagree that a “lack of footballing culture” is a reason to discount a place as a host. It’s for that very reason that we should choose such places to promote the global reach of the sport in these areas. It’s the same thing happening in athletics and why they are trying to spread out the hosts more globally.

When I said acouple of years ago that I believed humans would think their way out of a total catastrophe, its stuff like this I had in mind.

So simple, so clever.

30°C in Germany yesterday, one city didn't go below 20°C overnight.

Beating the old record for first day above 30°C by 9 days.

The best bit about the BBC report was this:

“Some newspapers had claimed local residents were annoyed the climate protest was taking place on the hottest day of the year so far, potentially making it harder for people to reach the beach in The Hague.”

Like, REALLY? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom