The Expanse

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
Anyone else watch this?

It started on Syfy and then was picked up by amazon after. It’s really great sci-fi and I’m generally not a fan of space shows but the story is strong and it’s just so much fun.

Obviously the highlight is Shohreh Agdashloo who gets to swear (a lot more since the move to Amazon) in that raspy voice. Also the costume budget is 90% her wardrobe while everyone else is in space suits.

Season 5 is currently airing and it’s been one of the best so far.

My friend/housemate loves it. He knows his sci-fi and maintains it's one of the best series going. I tried episode 1 and thought, nah. Might revisit!

Slightly spoilery but not really since it’s all out of context. What a fucking icon

My friend/housemate loves it. He knows his sci-fi and maintains it's one of the best series going. I tried episode 1 and thought, nah. Might revisit!

You definitely should, it takes a few episodes for you to acclimate to the accents and setting but it’s worth it.

It is AMAZING. Shohreh is obviously the highlight like you say! But the female characters are really well written generally and it's sci-fi that really makes you think.

It is AMAZING. Shohreh is obviously the highlight like you say! But the female characters are really well written generally and it's sci-fi that really makes you think.

Are you all caught up? I binged all the season 5 episodes this week and it’s a huge step up from season 4 (which was good but a bit of a reset). I like that the story is now focused more on Naomi rather than Holden.

Finished the season, the finale wasn’t as great but the show blew its load in the previous episodes and it was obviously more about setting up the final season.

The whole thing with the character that died was very awkward but I think they had to work with what they had.

I’m nearly done with season 2 and LOVING this. Obviously Avasarala is a total QoL and can steal the whole episode with one line. PAR EXAMPLE.

I've tried. On paper this should be everything for me. Most series of this genre tend to be cheap or glossy nonsense, so when a critical success comes along I'm interested. I gave Battlestar Galactica a chance for that reason and LOVED that. But this doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good. I took into account the four episode rule that you should give a series with depth, but I didn't warm to it after 4 episodes. Annoying as I've heard that it improves with every season.

I can't take to Thomas Jane as the lead either, even though it feels like he was just brought in for name value and would become less important as it goes on.

Maybe I'll give it another shot.

It does seem to be suffering for me right now since

SEASON 2 SPOILER

Miller has gone and the leads right now are sulky blandly attractive straights, but hoping that changes in season 3.

I've tried. On paper this should be everything for me. Most series of this genre tend to be cheap or glossy nonsense, so when a critical success comes along I'm interested. I gave Battlestar Galactica a chance for that reason and LOVED that. But this doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good. I took into account the four episode rule that you should give a series with depth, but I didn't warm to it after 4 episodes. Annoying as I've heard that it improves with every season.

I can't take to Thomas Jane as the lead either, even though it feels like he was just brought in for name value and would become less important as it goes on.

Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Give it another shot. It gets real good by the end of season 1.

Thankfully the wider political story is what’s gripping me, but I have little interest in most of the lead characters right now.

Actually that’s a lie. I like the psychopath and the sexy guy who drives the ship, it’s just the two leads who bore me.

Holden is meant to be the straight guy, he is inherently a good-y two shoes but the show is aware of that. He’s far from my favorite but he serves his purpose.

He does serve a purpose but he’s hard to care about as a lead, especially since Miller has gone. I get his fluctuating moral relativism is his major plot line, but I actually struggle to care, I imagine as a story it’s better told in writing. I also find the actor utterly uncharismatic.

maybe this should be my new fix now that The 100 has gone to shit-shit

Caught up with the first 4 episodes of the last season. I can’t see how they will get it done with 2 more episodes.

Drummer remains a highlight. Her speech at the end of episode 4 was :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom