The Final Fantasy lounge

The vocal theme songs have been one of my favourite things since they started doing them! Leona in XIII felt like a cheat since they just slapped an existing track from her album into the Western versions of the game, but it did of course give us this incredible moment:

The vocal theme songs have been one of my favourite things since they started doing them! Leona in XIII felt like a cheat since they just slapped an existing track from her album into the Western versions of the game, but it did of course give us this incredible moment:

"I just want to RUN AROUND the land ALL DAY" :D They should have slapped that on the cover!

Reactions: COB
?? Final Fantasy
?? Final Fantasy II
07 Final Fantasy III
09 Final Fantasy IV
?? Final Fantasy The After Years
08 Final Fantasy V
?? Final Fantasy VI (I need to sort this)
09 Final Fantasy VII
?? Final Fantasy Tactics
07 Final Fantasy VIII
10 Final Fantasy IX
09 Final Fantasy X
08 Final Fantasy X-2
?? Final Fantasy XI Online
07 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
?? Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
07 Final Fantasy XII
?? Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings
?? Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
?? Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fate
?? Dirge of Cerberus :D
05 Dissidia Final Fantasy
?? Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
?? Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
07 Final Fantasy XIII
06 Final Fantasy XIII-2
?? Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
?? Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
?? Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
?? Final Fantasy Type 0
?? Final Fantasy Explorers
02 Final Fantasy XIV
10 Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
07 World of Final Fantasy
08 Final Fantasy XV
10 Final Fantasy VII Remake

HOW have I not seen this!? :D

Started with VII when it came out, fell in love with it (username is a bit of a giveaway), have played it enough times that I lost count after the second go around the appendages (all 21 of them)

Played and enjoyed VI not long after but for some reason got distracted and never finished it (got close)

Loved VIII and IX

Adored X and consider it joint fave with VII

Loved X-2

Thought XII was shit (considered Lost Odyssey the "real FFXII")

Liked XIII generally but wasn't keen on how it was basically one giant tutorial. Couldn't be bothered with XIII-2 or XIII-3

Same reaction as @Phoenix to XV, got sick of the car and bored of it in general and stopped playing.

Then I decided to go chronologically through the entire series starting with FF1 for NES.
FF1 - Not bad actually, aged better than I thought
FF2(j) - Was alright, it was nice to have some named characters. But doesn't particularly stand out in my memory other than one of the main characters not even being in your party for like 95% of the game.
FF3(j) - I don't really recall the fine details, but I liked the overall theme of friendship.
FF4(j) / FF2(US) - Probably the best of the bunch at that point, although I thought it was slightly overrated by the fanbase
FF5(j) - Still making my way through this, but think I'm about 2/3rds through. Love it, love the job system, I actually feel more fondness for it than I remember feeling for FF6, though it was a while ago. It had one moment so far that got to me
namely the death of Galuf, who I'd grown really quite fond of
. At this point though I'm just kind of savouring it rather than getting on and finishing it. Oh and it's not 'Bartz' it's Butz. Pronounced Butts. Change my mind.

Once done with FF5 I'm going to play FF6 SNES version then all the originals up to FFXV (or probably FFXVI by the time I'm done) to experience the evolution from one to the next. Then will go back to the start and play all the remakes, things like FF4 After Years etc.

Last edited:
Surely if we're discussing Final Fantasy theme songs, the number one has to be this BOPPY J-pop number from FFX-2.

I love X and X-2, and have played a handful of other games (none of the recent mainline titles because I don't have a laptop that can handle that shit, or a PS7/XBOX 64). I've been meaning to pick up the Switch re-release of XII because I played it at the time but never finished it.

I would urge any FF fan that hasn't played Lost Odyssey to seek it out :disco: it's ESSENTIALLY a lost Final Fantasy game, and I vastly prefer it to FF13. I like to pretend that it's FF14 on account of online gaming NOT EXISTING to me :D

I think FF12 is my fave, as it's just SO FUN TO PLAY and Balthier is probably my fave FF character of all. If only the story had properly revolved around him and Fran instead of whoever Vaan and Penelo were. It still looks and plays amazing on PS4. I never get bored of it.

I love FF6 and FF8 too. I'm GAGGING for a 6 remake. It's in danger of being a forgotten classic as it's so many generations out now, and it's such a great game. I'd love to see a fully-fleshed out Celes and Kefka - another two of my fave (and from what we know of them, deepest) FF characters.

A FF8 remake would be incredible too, but I can't see it. The plot is too bizarre and winding. The originally also still plays pretty well on PS4 despite the completely broken gameplay system :D

Last edited:
FF5(j) - Still making my way through this, but think I'm about 2/3rds through. Love it, love the job system, I actually feel more fondness for it than I remember feeling for FF6, though it was a while ago. It had one moment so far that got to me
namely the death of Galuf, who I'd grown really quite fond of
. At this point though I'm just kind of savouring it rather than getting on and finishing it. Oh and it's not 'Bartz' it's Butz. Pronounced Butts. Change my mind.

FFVI's story is arguably the pinnacle of the 2D games, but I much prefer the gameplay and job trees of FFV. Also, FFV has the BEST battle themes including this CHIPTUNE MASTERPIECE

I suppose I should mention in this thread that I actually have met Hironobu Sakaguchi :disco:

He gave a talk at BAFTA Picadilly when he was in London promoting The Last Story and I went to it and later STALKED HIM in the bar and got him to sign the game for me and we chatted a little bit. He asked ME for a picture (this normally happens when I meet CELEBRITÉS for some reason) and taught me the shaka sign (he lives in Hawaii now and is a keen surfer). He told me his favourite Final Fantasy was IX and I thought that was a WORLD EXCLUSIVE until I found out he's been saying that for DECADES to anyone who'll listen :vomit:

I’ll rate the ones I’ve played

FFIV (06) - I played the DS 3D port, it was fine some memorable characters but the game was just similar dungeons over and over
FFVI (08) - I’ve played this at least twice and never finished it. Best villain and iconic soundtrack.
FFVII (09) - I played it after VIII so the blocky looks was hard to love still an excellent game.
FFVIII (10) - my favorite, the mechanics are dated and I never cared for the flashback parts but for its time it was so cinematic. The section during the parade is amazing.
FFIX (09) - I played this most recently, love the character design.
FFX (06) - I hated how closed and linear this was. Terrible voice acting. Interesting story.
FFXII (09) - my second favorite. I loved the bounty system. Totally forgettable story.
FFXIII (07) - fun game but a bit forgettable
FFXV (03) - there are bones of a good game in there it’s just bogged down with bad mechanics. I know it got better with the patches but who’s got the time. Also all male cast :x:
FF Type-0 HD (07) - this was fun, can’t remember why I stopped. Probably the time mechanics made me anxious.

god FF15 had moments I PROPERLY PROPERLY loved, and I loved the unique road trip aspect - I played it none stop for about 3 weeks and it started to feel like the bros were REAL PEOPLE! The Venice city is amazing too, and Aranea Highwind had icon potential had she had more screen time.

However the plot was a mess, Cindy was the male gaze GONE MAD and the pacing was off completely. It was also RATHER EMPTY for an open world game. Another 10 years and it would have been great :D

I feel the FF7 Remake took the best aspects of 15 and really honed in and perfected them. I would love to replay 15 though with the added story patches and DLC. Maybe I will this WINTER!

Reactions: COB
"A road trip with the lads eh? I can smell the testosterone emanating through the screen. Should we maybe have a female character?"
"Ehhh okay, we'll chuck in a busty female greasemonkey. Sorted!"

Forgot about Type 0. That was an interesting game, quite liked it and it was neat to see a modern version of an FF with an overworld. But
that INCREDIBLY bleak ending
. Ugh.

FFX (06) - I hated how closed and linear this was. Terrible voice acting.

Ha ha ha ha ha HA HA!

I have Type-0 but I’ve never been able to get past one of the very first bosses in the game :D

It’s in some sort of ARENA and I think like a giant robot possibly controlled by a maniac CAT??

Anyway, I didn’t care enough to pass through my frustration barrier to beat it.

Bartz from FF5 was the first openly homosexual game character SURELY??

DFFNT_Bartz_Klauser_Render.png

YASSSS QWEEN etc etc

FFXV (03) - Also all male cast :x:

I'm shocked that they did this in a series famous for their ICONIC FEMALES. Final Fantasy, like Zelda, is one of the few big blockbuster gaming franchises that seems to appeal to both males and females alike. So dumb.

I’m concerned that 16 also looks very male heavy.

Reactions: GNL
Amano's images of the characters were ALL raging homo.

I'm cautiously hyped for 16 but seem to keep finding myself saying that for FFs since XII and being kind of disappointed. Kind of lost its soul when Sakaguchi and Uematsu left, IMHO. Or more likely, I'm getting old and nostalgic and "nothing's the same as the good old days, get orf my lawn" etc

I’m concerned that 16 also looks very male heavy.

I'm VERY CONCERNED 16 literally looks like The Witcher with chocobos. Really hoping to be proved WRONG there, ESPECIALLY on the point that it looks like there is no party element. A solo FF? NO THANKS! Also the character designs look increasingly bland.

At least we have more Remake to come..!

In terms of artwork, it has to be Akihiko Yoshida for me also. I mean, he was the Vagrant Story art director! A PS1 game that (almost) still stands up visually TO THIS DAY! :disco:

I love all the little jaunts to Ivalice, I hope there are more in future.

I don't think there was ever a gayer character than Kuja from FF9. I mean he came with a JOCKSTRAP.

a1a7cf8977778774eb0afbbc565f01c956d6a81cr1-750-1000v2_uhq.jpg

I'm expecting XVI to have some sort of party element - I reckon they're following the VII Remake marketing plan and revealing the characters one by one in subsequent trailers (I could be wrong though!). I actually can't wait for XVI - I'm very much here for a return to a medieval setting, and I generally love the FF stories where the summons play a big role so it ticks lots of my boxes already. Oh and the MUSIC :disco:

Also LOL at people comparing FF character designers and Tetsuya Nomura not even getting a mention :basil: Moopy clearly not a fan of BELTS and ZIPS

Reactions: GNL
At least we have more Remake to come..!

Is it coming? We haven’t heard a pip about it since the release of the remake even with all the next gen consoles.

Oh God, I've just looked up CINDY. The daisy dukes, the peekaboo thong, the cropped jacket open to show her tits - was their moodboard Jessica Simpson in 2005?

Cindy was a total disaster - and to think she's shoved in your face right from the very beginning.

I got on like a house on fire with XV. Played it through to the finish, played the DLC, spent HOURS on it. The second it was over I was done though and I can now barely remember the plot at all – probably because half of it was shoved into various off-shoot films in a truly :manson: manner.

Maybe the gender-swap Cindy would have worked better on account of women BARELY EXISTING in the FFXV universe* :D

CCEE74FD5A1541FE64EF7939F7924D389248F8C0

I just remembered the personality-free IRIS! Sheesh what a bland character design SHE WAS!

*aside from of course the town with the nuclear power planet staffed entirely by lesbians :D :disco:

What would be the best FF game (on the Switch) for a beginner?
You actually have quite a lot of choices these days! FFVII is the most famous one and probably a great starting point, as long as you don't mind the graphics being from the PS1 era (albeit with some added smoothing for HD). There's also FFVIII and FFIX which are in a similar boat, but FFVIII is quite divisive and unusual so I'd definitely play at least one of the others before it. There are also remasters of FFX/X-2 and FFXII, which were originally on the PS2 - both excellent, but XII in particular plays very differently from the other games in the series.

If you want Final Fantasy style gameplay but with modern trappings, I'd recommend the spinoff game World of Final Fantasy. It has a classic FF battle system, but combines it with Pokemon-style monster catching and is generally quite a lovely experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom