The Fizz (aka Bucks Fizz)- Smoke and Mirrors (New Album)

Sheena

ROMANCE
So I'm not entirely sure whether we've cancelled The Fizz completely cause of Jay Aston's NAZI LEANINGS or what, but The Fizz have announced their new album "Smoke and Mirrors" will be out in March and is preceded by this new single, "The World We Left Behind", which I really rather like, I am LOATHE to say.

They look a right DOG'S DINNER on that front cover, mind. The state of Rita's PERM!

The logo rips off the old Bucks Fizz one too, doesn't it? Or one of the later ones, at least...

I imagine it's cheap airbrushing rather than cheap work...

The logo rips off the old Bucks Fizz one too, doesn't it? Or one of the later ones, at least...

Yes, essentially it's the logo from the New Beginning/Writing On The Wall album era minus the 'Bucks'.

'The World We Left Behind' owes quite the debt to 'Little Lies', doesn't it?

Oh and yes, the state of Reet and Mike on that cover

It has shades of Happenin' All Over Again in the melody, I think. Thank god it's a REET lead vocal and not Jay. Actually are Jay and Mike even singing on it?

1. 'Winning Ways'

2. 'All We Ever Can Do'

3. 'T.O.T.P'

4. 'From Here To Eternity'

5. 'More Than These Words'

6. 'Reservation'

7. 'The World We Left Behind'

8. 'Nothing's Gonna Last Forever'

9. 'Second To None'

10. 'Storm'

11. 'Boomerang'

'The World We Left Behind' owes quite the debt to 'Little Lies', doesn't it?

It's 'Big Love', isn't it?

I also think there's a whiff of 'Happenin' All Over Again' there somewhere as well.

What's this about, though?

Among the new songs is a remake of their 90s' Stock Aitken and Waterman-penned hit 'From Here To Eternity', and the updated version was no doubt emotional to re-record, as Jay recorded the vocals on the day she got her cancer diagnosis.

It's 'Big Love', isn't it?

I also think there's a whiff of 'Happenin' All Over Again' there somewhere as well.

Sorry, I meant that. Clearly Cheryl's gender neutral vox confusing me.

I didn't get Happenin All Over again, but then I'm far less familiar.

I thought they had swapped Cheryl for Bonnie Tyler originally

Dropping on itunes now, but I think it peaked at the low 60s.

I'm sure they are hoping for another iTunes vocal chart #1, though.

Actually, the song is also a grat track rather than a single, it would seem.

It definitely is very Lonnie. I like it a lot - I'd say it is better than anything off the last (non-Xmas) album other than the glory that is Amen.

If the other material is good maybe I will allow myself to buy the album (second hand off ebay naturally).

It definitely is very Lonnie. I like it a lot - I'd say it is better than anything off the last (non-Xmas) album other than the glory that is Amen.

If the other material is good maybe I will allow myself to buy the album (second hand off ebay naturally).

All it takes is 3 mins of OLE CRUDGEY and we're all back on board :D

Oh yes defo Lonnie and Big Love rip offs.

Catchy but I really shouldn't.

It hasn't got the production flourishes I associate with their 80s stuff enough for me. But then neither did Dancing In The Rain, yet the album contained a lot of them, despite its lack of original tracks.

First single confirmed to be Winning Ways, and it's getting a premiere on Ken Bruce next Thursday, so very decent promo for them.

I've had to follow them again on instagram, just to bring you this :D

After the genius of “Amen”, The Fizz Are BACK with another great song. Honestly they are like a young Fleetwood Mac and i can’t get enough!

Already a thread in gayers. I'm still not massively feeling this, to be honest. But I thought the lead single was one of the weaker original tracks on the last album. This isn't the lead single though - that's Winning Ways, which gets a Radio 2 premiere on Thursday.

That manages to both bore and grate. And it really is a Brexit anthem too.

Not sure why they went with this over The World We Left Behind as the single, but if it is indicative of the rest of the material my interest in the album is rescinded (again... for now).

Ugh, I didn't think about it being a Brexit anthem. I'm not going to listen again with that in mind, at least yet.

I'll stream the album when it arrives but have lowered my expectations two tracks in.

Was Amen this album or last? Because I found I REALLY liked it - like a dansband Fleetwood Mac...

Even I didn't bother with the Christmas one. I didn't even stream it beyond the single.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom