The Funky Friday Afterparty - "The Armada Of Groove" Friday 16.10.20 **8.15PM**

12. Call Me

And now the best track from the wilderness years between Black Light and the new album, a period of remixes, random EPs and compilations.

HELLO PIANO BREAKDOWN

Reactions: COB
I spent about the first minute of this song thinking that Will Young was ruining it, but now I'm not so sure. It's starting to work for me.

listen to the studio version. The production is stunning.

Well the whole Black Light album production is stunning actually. Everybody's homework is to listen to that album in full and report back :D

Reactions: COB
History was basically the sound of tumbling through a distant galaxy with nothing but a bottle of poppers in hand and a broken heart waiting to be tossed into the cosmos and LEFT TO FLOAT FOR MILLENNIA.

It kind of makes me think of Pet Shop Boys, Richard X, late 00s Xenomania and Stuart Price in a big, beautiful and mysterious blender. Immediate 10/10

9. Shameless
I debated including this as it's a bit of a comedown after "I Won't Kneel", but it's just beyond stunning. Featuring an inspired Bryan Ferry cameo, this is another of the Big 4 Black Light pop tracks, which set the album apart.

I'm not listening live as I know the Armada catalogue very well. But it's good to see so many selections from their best album and of course my favourite track from it. It has to be the Groove Armada album version though not the version used on his own album and as a single release.

History was basically the sound of tumbling through a distant galaxy with nothing but a bottle of poppers in hand and a broken heart waiting to be tossed into the cosmos and LEFT TO FLOAT FOR MILLENNIA.

It kind of makes me think of Pet Shop Boys, Richard X, late 00s Xenomania and Stuart Price in a big, beautiful and mysterious blender. Immediate 10/10

So you're enjoying my playlist choices then :disco:

I'm not listening live as I know the Armada catalogue very well. But it's good to see so many selections from their best album and of course my favourite track from it. It has to be the Groove Armada album version though not the version used on his own album and as a single release.

Not a fan of the Bryan Ferry solo version. I know his fans are. The GA production takes the song to a different level. It's just so emotional.

So you're enjoying my playlist choices then :disco:
oh darling it's everything. and I'm enjoying it progressively more as it goes on. Call Me is BLINDING. It sounds like 735 other songs all of which are AMAZING TOO.

I'm actually really excited, I've not listened to the album as a whole yet.

thank you, OMF, for sharing your educational playlist :disco: plenty for me to re-visit on my very early train tomorrow morning for which I am now going to rest

sweet nightmares, homos and other creatures of the gay chat lounge x

Edge Of The Horizon album

1. Get Out On The Dancefloor

Reminds me of so many different 80s bands, Pet Shop Boys, Tears For Fears, Talk Talk, but mostly Talking Heads. The production, as always, makes the song.

Thank you @funky! I'm taking my leave now but this has been a real TREAT, and I'm definitely going to investigate the new album (and BLACK LIGHT :disco:) this weekend.

I didnt realise Nick Littlemore is him from Pnau AND Empire of The Sun

Generally not a fan of dance tracks with a TALK-SINGING vocal but this one just about WORKS

lots of early leavers - OMF is SEVENTY FIVE but he'll still be RAVING AT MIDNIGHT! :angry:

2. Holding Strong

GA know how to make an emotional dance song don't they? Not sure why but this is so evocative...

Also has strong links to the Black Light album.

Edge Of The Horizon album

1. Get Out On The Dancefloor

Reminds me of so many different 80s bands, Pet Shop Boys, Tears For Fears, Talk Talk, but mostly Talking Heads. The production, as always, makes the song.

This has been an excellent first single and totally ignited me with the idea of a black light follow-up

I'm not entirely sure what this second song reminds me of. The closest that I can think of is a slowed down version 'Boys of Summer'.

lots of early leavers - OMF is SEVENTY FIVE but he'll still be RAVING AT MIDNIGHT! :angry:

we might need to revisit this album on its own at a later date. It is deserving of a proper listen

The second chorus kicking in on Holding Strong is REAFFIRMING this belief

Holding Strong is just lovely. the 80s homages are strong across this record.

3. Tripwire

This is the one I'm least familiar with, I didn't like the way it starts, and the verse is quite slight, but on full listen, that chorus is gorgeous...

I've been looking up the UK album chart whilst listening to this and it is a fucking state. Amanda Holden is in the Top ten, just ahead of what looks worrying like a box set of Dire Straits albums. I don't want to think about how many copies they must be selling.

3. Tripwire

This is the one I'm least familiar with, I didn't like the way it starts, and the verse is quite slight, but on full listen, that chorus is gorgeous...

I don't like this song at all - and I've probably listened a dozen times to the album.

I've been looking up the UK album chart whilst listening to this and it is a fucking state. Amanda Holden is in the Top ten, just ahead of what looks worrying like a box set of adore Straits albums. I don't want to think about how many copies they must be selling.
Amanda Holden would have a hard job breaking into the top ten of women who fucked Les Dennis to get famous. I refuse to believe she's had any kind of actual success on the album hit parade.

I don't think I like the vocal on track four. The production is great but the vocal doesn't seem to fit. Although, actually, the 'just tripping away' section that has just come in is much better.

This is amazing. I'm just saying this because she's in my mind but it's not so far strung from something that couldve turned up on the Roisin Murphy album

I don't think I like the vocal on track four. The production is great but the vocal doesn't seem to fit. Although, actually, the 'just tripping away' section that has just come in is much better.

that's the best bit!

this is indeed Jark's (joint) fave.

those BIG WARM synths CASCADING all over the vista, the slightly fuzzy, lo-fi vibe which really beautifully captures that feeling of stepping into a smaller room at a club and being delighted to find the DJ is playing house or electro rather than techno and SHARING THE LOVE with fifty other bodies. the chopped vocal samples are heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom