The glorious implosion of the Lib Dems

Both Labour and the Lib Dems imploded to varying degrees by letting their core audience determine their direction at the expense of political common sense and appealing to the broader public. Labour with Corbynism and the Lib Dems by embracing Revoke & Remain.

I presume Tories don't allow their membership to vote on policy in quite the same way, do they? I mean if they did I'd fully expect the death penalty to be back by now.

But to be pedantic, she's making a very clear point that she identifies as pansexual, not gay or bisexual. Just to be clear. You'd think we'd be able to get that right in our own community...

I will take a break from disparaging the Lib Dems to say Layla Moran is the best one :disco:

She is, but I still can't see her being the right leader. She is excellent whenever she's on Question Time.

The sad fact is that the press were about to "out" Moran which is a fucking disgrace. I guess she took the opportunity to make sure the truth got heard first but fuck those people. Imagine still giving a shit what consenting adults do in their own time in 2020. Sheesh.

Then why post it?

Because it's a JOKEY comment on the TOTAL IRRELEVANCE (i) of the LIBERAL DEMOCRATS and (ii) of the SEXUAL ORIENTATIONS of POLITICIANS.

It's like those people on Twitter who say they don't care about trans people but then post about them every day.

Is it REALLY? :eyes:

Imagine still giving a shit what consenting adults do in their own time in 2020. Sheesh.

QUITE AND THAT'S THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE

Last edited:
She is, but I still can't see her being the right leader. She is excellent whenever she's on Question Time.

She’s coming across really well in the leadership race.
He seems like a decent man but I cannot see how anyone could get excited by Davey

Have they still not got a leader? I thought the Labour leadership DRAGGED.

Have they still not got a leader? I thought the Labour leadership DRAGGED.

Well there was the seemingly endless nominations bit where Wera Hobhouse called Davey a Tory before dropping out. Now there’s about 572 hustings before voting and result at end of August.
I don’t know where they are going to find the time to point at potholes :(

Yeah she's basically the opposite of Jo Swinson in that regard.

Swinson's arrogance cost them dearly, although not quite as much as getting into bed with the Tories in the first place. Moran at least seems to understand the task ahead of the party if they're to regain any kind of credibility.

But is the word "liberal" inherently damaged now?

I just don’t think they will ever rebound from 2010. I think they need to be content with not being a major player, like the greens. But either way, I’m glad it’s not bloody Jo Swinson anymore.

I just don’t think they will ever rebound from 2010. I think they need to be content with not being a major player, like the greens. But either way, I’m glad it’s not bloody Jo Swinson anymore.

I think that's an odd way to go about running a party. They were not a major player through most of the 20th century and then made major moves in the 80s-90s. There's no reason any party (including the greens) should be sitting there saying 'we're never ever going to rebound'. Nothing is forever. That includes potentially the Tories and the Labour party potentially - there was a time before them and there will be a time after them.

If they can get 10-20 seats, that may well end up being significant in 2024 if there is a hung parliament.

What I meant by that is that they should not be concerned overly with trying to appear Prime Ministerial, but instead should be disruptive - giving a voice to those who need it more, really forging change in the mainstream by highlighting issues and concerns that quite frankly go unnoticed otherwise.

What I meant by that is that they should not be concerned overly with trying to appear Prime Ministerial, but instead should be disruptive - giving a voice to those who need it more, really forging change in the mainstream by highlighting issues and concerns that quite frankly go unnoticed otherwise.

I agree with that at this point. And it was basically Swinson's undoing, even talking about being a Prime Ministerial candidate. I think her saying that had a massive negative impact on her popularity.

I think the biggest challenge for the Lib Dems at the moment is that Labour have come back into the centre ground and a lot of young people (myself included) feel that the Lib Dem’s have just have a little too much faith in capitalism.

Where they could gain ground is by focusing on being unabashedly socially liberal. They are the only party that hasn't been wishy-washy on things like trans rights but they might be too worried of losing the middle-aged FBPE lot if they do that.

Last edited:
I think you're bang on there Tetris, re: socially liberal. And Layla Moran is the only one who would do that. But looks like Davey is going to win it.

Well he is hardly going to WIN THEM VOTES is he :D

*Lib Dems swoop in at next election with record number of seats*
I really can’t see how they’re gonna get more than about FOURTEEN seats with him. He just seems SO BORING.

I really can’t see how they’re gonna get more than about FOURTEEN seats with him. He just seems SO BORING.
He seems a very nice man but yes how can people be inspired by him.
He got 63.5% so wasn’t even close.
I just hope he can win over people who have voted Tory in recent years in the South West, i think that’s what the old school were most concerned about

I wonder if the Lib Dems picked up God-botherers under Tim Farron who then couldn't consider Moran as leader what with her being a lesbain and all that.

somebody put these USELESS BITCHES out of their misery already!

they stand for NOTHING, they represent NOBODY, they are the banana ice cream of political parties. nobody wants banana! ffs.

somebody put these USELESS BITCHES out of their misery already!

they stand for NOTHING, they represent NOBODY, they are the banana ice cream of political parties. nobody wants banana! ffs.

Bollocks.
They got 11.6% of the votes, 3.6. Million voters. So they clearly do represent some people.
IN FACT if it wasn’t for FPTP they might actually be allowed to represent more of their voters :)

Well, that's the whole point of FPTP - disenfranchising voters so as to keep a system in place that consistently helps c/Conservative views and essentially weaponises differences of opinion in how to change rather than whether or not we should change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom