Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jark

User
Seems to be getting lots of early buzz as a potential Oscar contender.

I haven't read the book it's based on (has anyone? is it worth adding to the list?) and have no idea what it's actually about, but the trailer looks like it's going to push a few emotional buttons and queen Nic is playing yet another stressed mother with questionable hair so I really don't have a choice in the matter.

The trailer looks so, so cheesy. Like some American Christian movie. I expected it to be much darker and not so...naff?

I hate when trailers use songs like that also.

I should say though, that I *adored* what John Crowley did with "Brooklyn". I spent at least 50% of that film weeping uncontrollably, so I'll definitely be going to see this!

Last edited:
Apparently it’s a disastuh

The book was very very dense, but well worth a read and I got transported through it watching the trailer. Is it really that bad?

27% on Rotten Tomatoes after the Toronto premier does not bode well, it’s out in a few days so more reviews should come out soon

Apparently it’s a “disappointing adaptation” because it “tells the story non-linearly”.

You know, like the book does. :D

I like the book but The Secret History always had a much better chance of being a decent film adaptation in the right hands. Whatever happened to that? It ended up in development hell somehow and then died a death.

Gwyneth Paltrow (!) had the rights for The Secret History in the early 00s, but they have apparently now reverted back to Tartt herself.

Ooh, I could see Gwyneth, Ethan Hawke, Jake Gyllenhall, Wes Bentley et al signing up for an (age-inappropriate) adaptation of this in the 00s :D

Directed by Sam Mendes

Produced by Harvey Weinstein

Oscars GALORE

This was tough, you could tell that it was based on an unwieldy book because every damn character had a quirk and was played by a character actor/actress.

Ansel Elgort is just too bland to carry a movie of this magnitude and I hated Finn what’s his face with his fake laugh.

Costumes were nice, so much knitwear and Nicole was great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom