The Haunting of Bly Manor (Netflix)

Jark

User
Follow-up to the incredible horror/family psychological drama The Haunting of Hill House. this one seems like maybe it has a more expansive storyline and cast - the actress who played Nell is back in a new role.

I loved the first season so much - episode six was one of the best TV episodes I think I've ever seen - so I'm really excited to see what they do here with a new story and only the general mythology for continuity.

@Raining On Me @Mats @northernlad @KindaCool @ButterTart @Phoenix

I loved the first one so much and yes there was some SPECTACULAR episodes that are pure gold. I think it got praise, but probably not enough.

Not familiar with the Henry James story of this but can't wait regardless :disco:

I’m happy they brought back Oliver Jackson Cohen and he looks to be all cleaned up and evil.

I’ve watched The Innocents (classic movie starring Deborah Kerr which was based on the books) a few years ago but this looks very different.

two days! can't wait to binge the living shit out of this over the weekend :disco: early reviews say pretty good but not as essential as Hill House.

This is not a binge show for me. Two episodes at most.

I haven’t gotten to the point where he speaks yet. Only two episodes in but I remembered what the twist of the movie was, I’m assuming this will be revealed soon because they’re hammering it hard.

Im really enjoying this as a slow burn. It looks so good.

I'm on episode one. I'm liking it (wonderful to see/hear Carla Gugino, I didn't realise she'd be back :disco:) but I CAN'T STAND the awful children!

I'm on episode one. I'm liking it (wonderful to see/hear Carla Gugino, I didn't realise she'd be back :disco:) but I CAN'T STAND the awful children!
If the little girl is the first to die then that would be perfectly splendid

Aside from the variety of weird accents, I thought this ended up being a sweet sad story. Doesn’t reach the same emotional height of Hill House. I think the pacing was a bit off where they wanted to hold the reveals till the end but that meant episodes 7 & 8 stop the story for flashbacks.

T’Nia Miller and Rahul Kohli were such a highlight. I hope this means they will get more high profile work.

I’ve never even heard of this. I’m not a fan of the horror genre generally - I like psychological stuff and hammy monster/creature movies but ghost and devil stories really bore me, I don’t find them scary at all.

What’s so good about this series in particular?

I’ve never even heard of this. I’m not a fan of the horror genre generally - I like psychological stuff and hammy monster/creature movies but ghost and devil stories really bore me, I don’t find them scary at all.

What’s so good about this series in particular?

The best ghost stories are psychological horror and this is definitely more interested in the trauma of the events than who summoned what and where. Like I said, the first season The Haunting of Hill House is stronger so if you’re gonna try then go for that. There’s one episode in particular where they flip between past and future in one continuous shot and it’s quite impressive.

I mean the source text is only one of the best pieces of gothic literature ever written. But I think they've also done a wonderful job. It's a very solid watch.

The best ghost stories are psychological horror and this is definitely more interested in the trauma of the events than who summoned what and where. Like I said, the first season The Haunting of Hill House is stronger so if you’re gonna try then go for that. There’s one episode in particular where they flip between past and future in one continuous shot and it’s quite impressive.

sounds like it’s well made then, a bit of style and substance. I’ll add it to my list

I also just wanna say that I don't think I've ever seen a show incorporate diversity as artfully as this one. I love all the references to Indian immigrants in 70s England.

I'm five episodes into this now and beginning to really enjoy it. It should be said that I find myself watching almost entirely for Hannah who is so UTTERLY warm, poised, chic, delightful and quietly sad - an absolute tour de force of a performance from T'Nia Miller, please give her everything.

I absolutely LOVED T’Nia in Years and Years! :disco:

Particularly the moment she announced the affair over the family group call :disco::disco:

oh and funky I'm sure you'll just love season one of this, The Haunting of Hill House. It's absolutely spectacular television.

Aside from the variety of weird accents, I thought this ended up being a sweet sad story. Doesn’t reach the same emotional height of Hill House. I think the pacing was a bit off where they wanted to hold the reveals till the end but that meant episodes 7 & 8 stop the story for flashbacks.
I think I agree with this. It definitely felt it lost its way in the second half. Hill House was scarier and maintained it much better the whole time.

I just finished Episode 7. I’m really quite enjoying it but it doesn’t half get confusing at times trying to work out whether it’s the past/present, reality/a dream etc.

I have two episodes to go and then I'll share my full thoughts. It's a bit frustrating but also really quite enjoyable

I found the origin of the ghost episode dragged on a bit and kind of killed the flow.

The final episode was great though and quietly devastating, although like the previous episode kind of felt like a different TV show.

I finished it today :o

The last episode is a bit meh.

For whatever reason I never bothered with Hill House but this was wonderful! I tried not to binge watch as I’m running out of decent telly to watch but I just couldn’t help myself over the weekend.

The creator of this Mike Flanagan is working on an adaption of The 90’s young adult writer Christopher Pike “Midnight Club” for Netflix Which will also incorporate some of his standalone books (via the stories the group tell). Pike just updated his Facebook saying they’re working on the script to shoot in March next year and that they are already planning for a season 2 as well as the possibility of Flanagan adapting The Final Friends trilogy for Netflix too (which was one of my favourite books as a teen!)

I binged this yesterday to distract me from my own haunted existence. it starts out really good but like the first season there's a point where it just goes wrong for me, they depart from horror or re-hash the tricks and it just turns mostly filler. I felt this season maintained it better though and led to a perfectly splendid ending. I also dislike what I feel is a thing that has come with Netflix series, these episodes that focus on one character, no matter how big or small, to really spell out so and so. as awesome as T'Nia Miller is I did not need a full episode of her walking in and out of doors, feeling confused, just to led me to a conclusion that had already been drawn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom