Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
Martin Scorsese's (very) epic movie about ageing mob guys. It's had a short cinema release before it rolls out on Netflix next week, so I decided to see it on the big screen, because I knew I'd struggle to do it in one sitting if I had distractions.

Despite the bum-numbing length, it was very good. Doesn't feel especially like anything he hasn't done before, but I think that's kind of the point. There was something quite moving about all the old stars (DeNiro, Pacino, Joe Pesci) turning out one last time to play the hits, so to speak.

It's De Niro's story and while his performance is fairly low-key and opaque, it's so nice to see him actually trying again after decades of phoning it in. Al Pacino is as hammy as ever, but it absolutely fits the character and I can see him having the best shot at an Oscar from the cast. Joe Pesci was maybe my favourite though, maybe it's because he's been virtually retired for so long, but he still has the most amazing ability to be super scary without raising his voice above a murmur.

Not a great movie for female characters, but despite the controversy over Anna Paquin's 8-word part, I felt like keeping her mostly silent genuinely did work as an artistic choice, and there are other women who speak more, even if none of them had anything much to do.

It was also fun to play 'spot the Sopranos actor' throughout. I think at least six showed up.

It ain't passing the Bechdel Test, that's for sure.

I thought it was a stone cold bore. Some moments I enjoyed (like De Niro on the phone with someone's wife towards the end) but just wasn't worth the 3.5 hours for me.

I liked it, I could've done without the inconsistent ageing/re-ageing of some of the characters and it was probably an hour longer than it needed to be, but still a solid, entertaining movie.

i just started this with the family. so far it's mindnumbingly boring and everything feels so painfully familiar.

also, i get that he likes his big boys (they look fucking weird de-aged) but could he not get a single high profile actress?

What would a high profile actress do? He has Oscar Winner Anna Paquin later but she’s there to offer disappointing looks (not that that’s an issue since women hardly factored in that world).

I found the whole thing ok, it’s well made and acted and not boring for the length of it but I couldn’t care for a bunch of mobsters especially that they’re not even buff or pretty to look at.

What would a high profile actress do? He has Oscar Winner Anna Paquin later but she’s there to offer disappointing looks (not that that’s an issue since women hardly factored in that world).

yeah, i spoke too soon. it's very much a man's world this film. my mom gave up half an hour in, my dad gave up an hour in and so did i. i wanted to watch it in a general knowledge kinda way but i have a feeling i won't be finishing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom