The Masked Singer: Series 2

She definitely seemed to show more range than I thought she had, but I've never delved too deeply into her back catalogue.

Best live vocal I've ever seen.

I saw her supporting Erykah Badu when she was... maybe 16, just before The Soul Sessions was released? Brixton Academy. Audience was 95% black. This 16 year old girl walks onto stage and there was definitely a vibe of what the fuck is this little white girl on the stage for? Then she opened her mouth... and I'd never seen an audience change their opinion more quickly. I don't remember an audience paying attention to a support act like that ever before or since, particularly not an unknown one.

Audience was 95% black.

I want the clipboard receipts.

Loved this series, love the show. What NAMES they managed to get too. Bit of an embarrassment for MEL BEH but with this show it's so positive that the eliminations don't even seem like a rejection really.

I did think Sausage was Stacey Solomon at first, and then Sheridan Smith, but I twigged it was Joss Stone from last week. Sheridan doesn't have that SOUL or RANGE.

I guessed all three finalists. Gabrielle was a revelation bless her. I thought it was clever that she covered Billie Eillish - Gabrielle has a lovely voice but its not too strong and singing that which is basically spoken words really made the song sound impressive. I'd like her to record that

I guessed all three finalists. Gabrielle was a revelation bless her. I thought it was clever that she covered Billie Eillish - Gabrielle has a lovely voice but its not too strong and singing that which is basically spoken words really made the song sound impressive. I'd like her to record that

She has. It's on her new album out 5th March

Oh GOOD, I loved it!

I was my favourite performance of hers in the series too. I'm so glad she managed to get as far as she did - no other singer would go on and say they expected to be first out. It must feel so validating for her to have come so far when she seems to believe she 'can't sing'. Less validating will be the fact that Lenny Henry beat her in the head to head on week 1 (which is just dumb but whatever...)

Yeah she was SO happy with Semi finals wasn't she. Was nice to see. Especially when she saw SEB and BEH out before her. Nice little confidence boost which she needs.

Her son is really FIT too. (I hope he's over 18)

Her son is really FIT too. (I hope he's over 18)

I thought this too... :D

He is at least 23 because Sunshine was written about him... and he's the son of her murderer ex, who was imprisoned in 1997.

I’m really pleased Joss won, I know she was pretty much left behind in the 00s but I think her voice is still really distinctive and recognisable, at least to music fans. I thought super-sleuth Nicola Roberts was going to guess her too.

It was lovely to see the confidence boost the it gave Gabrielle. But I don't think it's a total humiliation that she was beaten out in ep1 by Lenny Henry, nor even for SEB and Mel Beh being beaten by Glenn Hoddle.

Half of them were able to play the "I'm disguising my voice" card, truth or not. And I don't think that much stock is being placed on a pre-recorded vote sampling 20 randoms and Jonathan Ross.

I'm surprised that some found Joss Stone annoying. For someone whose music career faded away because people thought she'd disappeared up her own arse, I thought it was great to see such a carefree side to her. She seemed genuinely appreciative of the opportunity to play fancy dress on TV.

Next season - I'm praying that Rita Ora's ridiculous guesses will somehow lure Des'ree away from her pottery kiln.

I mean in a show where Tasmin Archer was guessed I’m sure she stands a chance.

What was with Mo guessing Anderson Paak and Joel and the audience pretending they knew who that was?

I would love some more 90s females on the next series. Heather Small would probably do it. Maybe they could get Shaznay Lewis or Mel Blatt too.

Reactions: GNL
Michelle Gayle surely has to do this. She's probably been banging on the producers door/trying and failing to set up Zoom meetings for the last two series, along with Kelle Bryan.

What initially threw me off with Joss Stone and made me think it was Sheridan was the constant references to Blackpool - I thought it was too big a clue to be one of the 'lies' - is there a Blackpool connection? The other thing I could find with joss is that she's played the Winter Gardens xoxo

What initially threw me off with Joss Stone and made me think it was Sheridan was the constant references to Blackpool - I thought it was too big a clue to be one of the 'lies' - is there a Blackpool connection? The other thing I could find with joss is that she's played the Winter Gardens xoxo
There’s a place called Blackpool Sands near where she grew up in Devon. Having all those direct Blackpool references really threw everyone off there.

There’s a place called Blackpool Sands near where she grew up in Devon. Having all those direct Blackpool references really threw everyone off there.

Ohh. Yes I thought the Blackpool references were too much so had to be linked to the actual place. The clues to throw people off are usually minor and said/shown once. I may write into Points of View.

The whole voting seems a bit iffy when you remember that there was only a tiny audience in the studio.

The casting really has been exceptional for these two series. Joss Stone and Gabrielle in particular have no reality TV background and were clearly just chosen for their distinctive voices. When this was first announced I thought it would be the standard ITV fare: Gemma Collins, something from Love Island, Romesh Ranganathan. Really pleased at the calibre and diversity of the cast.

The casting really has been exceptional for these two series. Joss Stone and Gabrielle in particular have no reality TV background and were clearly just chosen for their distinctive voices. When this was first announced I thought it would be the standard ITV fare: Gemma Collins, something from Love Island, Romesh Ranganathan. Really pleased at the calibre and diversity of the cast.

I completely expected it to be filled with Keith Lemon Show panellists. I was agog the first episode not to hear the dulcet tones of Scarlett Moffat.

The positive reception to the first season must also have had an impact; I wonder whether the likes of Gabrielle or Martine would have signed up when it was still unknown whether they'd risk becoming a reality TV joke.

I suspect season 3 could take another step up in terms of being able to attract a semi-decent, B-list cast. (Probably bad news for Dina Carroll or Tasmin Archer, but I could now see the likes of a Lily Allen or a Kelly Rowland doing this)

I completely expected it to be filled with Keith Lemon Show panellists. I was agog the first episode not to hear the dulcet tones of Scarlett Moffat.

The positive reception to the first season must also have had an impact; I wonder whether the likes of Gabrielle or Martine would have signed up when it was still unknown whether they'd risk becoming a reality TV joke.

I suspect season 3 could take another step up in terms of being able to attract a semi-decent, B-list cast. (Probably bad news for Dina Carroll or Tasmin Archer, but I could now see the likes of a Lily Allen or a Kelly Rowland doing this)
Oh yeah, I’d have thought Kelly was easily gettable. They’ve had NeYo, Kelis and CeeLo, all of whom are decent name American stars.

I mean if it carries on with those ratings they’ll have Beyoncé by series 4 (contractually obliged to be unmasked first and only perform a song from her latest album).

(Now that we're getting ourselves excited, the season 5 final will see Kele Le Roc being humiliated by Tony from Hollyoaks)

So a Moopy semi-icon has just won The Masked Singer Australia

The incredibly hard-to-place voice in case you'd like to guess

The big REVEAL

Really happy for her but surely there's no point having someone that distinctive on the show? Or did she try to suppress her real voice until the end?

Really happy for her but surely there's no point having someone that distinctive on the show? Or did she try to suppress her real voice until the end?

I watched a couple of them and you can really tell its her :D

It was really only the first episode where you couldn’t tell it was her. After that it was ridiculous. Same for Macy Gray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom