The Masked Singer

Rita

User
New series starts on ITV in January.

12 celebrities will feature wearing head to toe costumes and masks which conceal their identity from the public. Each celebrity will perform each week, until they are evicted and their identity is revealed. Judges are Jonathan Ross, Davina McCall, Ken Jeong, and Rita Ora. Presented by Joel Dommett.

Yes this is a little strange, though i saw it on TV in Korean, so I didn’t have much context for the celebrities.

Sort of X-factor mixed with The Voice. What could go wrong??

While the US version had Gladys Knight as a contestant, I can’t help thinking this will be a bit like the UK Lip Sync Battle and just be a bunch of former soap stars and reality TV people.

I mean, some people in the audience fainting with the reveal of "celebrities" they never heard of didn't help. It was boring, just ANOTHER singing reality.

Reactions: Zu
Don’t worry Lolly, I will be all over it. As if there was any doubt.

Your sacrifice and effort to try to top the posters chart every week, watching and commenting any shit, is immense.

I wish that were the case. Unfortunately I do just watch and enjoy MOST reality tv shows.

While the US version had Gladys Knight as a contestant, I can’t help thinking this will be a bit like the UK Lip Sync Battle and just be a bunch of former soap stars and reality TV people.
You have A-list Gladys Knight and Patti Labelle, but also several WHO. I guess it will be something similar in UK, a couple of big names (for UK standars I mean Gemma Collins or so :D) and then people nobody knows.

I wish that were the case. Unfortunately I do just watch and enjoy MOST reality tv shows.
Of course you do, same for me. At least I would watch the first episode of almost anything out of curiosity. But yeah, I enjoy stuff that I know it's shit. :disco:

Of course you do, same for me. At least I would watch the first episode of almost anything out of curiosity. But yeah, I enjoy stuff that I know it's shit. :disco:

I have stuck with X Factor through thick and thin, and enjoyed the majority of it. The way Simon Cowell keeps flogging the show I may end up being the only viewer left. :disco:

I like the idea but agree that it's likely to end up with a load of reality TV nobodies. And yes I'm including bloody Gemma Collins in that.

That Gladys got ousted in favour of T.I and Patti recently supposedly got slated (source: Wendy Williams) intrigues me.

Some "national treasures" that I'd like on this, either for exposure or some feel good ego-bruising:

Jane McDonald
Claire Richards
Lisa Scott-Lee
Esther Bennett
Dannii Minogue
Kelly Llorenna
Sarah Harding
Keishababe
Jenny Frost
Leona Lewis
Burkey

Lulu
Shirley Bassey
Charlotte Church
Kimberly Walsh
Atomic Kitten's Tash n' Liz

I'm sure you can guess which list is which.

Shamefully, I watch clips of the US version on YouTube and love this TRASH. :disco:

I know the UK version will only be more underwhelming but I am likely gonna watch anyway. :D

Also, the U.S. version just had Seal on it and he got the boot in favor of one of the girls from 3LW. :D

Also, the U.S. version just had Seal on it and he got the boot in favor of one of the girls from 3LW. :D
What’s the actual competition about then? They perform all under a mask and the panel have to guess who it is. So what’s the next step?

The highlight of the American version is when they're about to reveal their identity, with people in the audience about to faint, only to find out is someone nobody heard of. And one of the jugdes screaming "I KNEW IT" every single time.

Surely the judges must be in on it anyway, won’t they all be backstage together?

So like The Voice the judges just decided who was “better” and you could
legitimately have Gladys Knight (ie. one of the greatest singers to ever live) vs some Real Housewife and someone somewhere would be able to say the latter had won? :D

Yes. I guess that might happen because Gladys Knight is doing only X shows or so, it's television after all, so keep it in mind when Gemma Collins wins the sing off over Adele.

A friend showed me some clips of the US version a while ago (mainly the ones featuring LaToya Jackson as one of the singers, obviously) and it's one of the most ludicrous things I've ever seen.

I'm holding out for a Michelle Gayle comeback. Been watching Classic Eastenders on the Drama channel lately and Hattie Tavernier was a great character.

This sounds like the kind of thing they’d wheel in Clair Richards for.

I'm holding out for a Michelle Gayle comeback. Been watching Classic Eastenders on the Drama channel lately and Hattie Tavernier was a great character.

Excellent choice.

Let's have her on against Dannoushka Minogue and we can finally find out what their 90s beef was about. I assume Michelle isn't the person Danielle Jane was said to have chased around a gay club trying to hit with a dildo, but I'd love it if she was.

Omg is this the real reason Louise delayed her albam? @Halli

Reactions: Zu
Anyone planning on watching this tonight?

Ken Jeong said that he'd surprisingly heard of quite a few of the ones when they were revealed, so I'm guessing a lot of 80s stars.

How big a name are we expecting? The US selection looked pretty limp. I'm guessing Scarlett Moffat, Gino D'Acampo and Nadia Sawahla are the calibre.

Are they all actual singers? I thought it was just any 'celeb'.

It can be any celeb but on the US one they were mainly singers, or celebs who could sing but were not primarily known for it.

What time is this hot mess on at please? We are in a taxi home from Glasgow and still need to pick up a takeaway for tea as I am not cooking. The one thing I would kill for other than Indian Cuisine right now is for the taxi driver to stop TALKING. Do I look like I’m interested in GOLF? :manson:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom