The Matrix

do you know kung fu?

• Total voters

ameraal

la loi de murphy
surprised we don't have a thread on it.

i rewatched the trilogy yesterday, after i'd been meaning to for quite a while, and though it has its flaws it's a great movie and i still remember watching it and being in awe of the effects and aesthetic and obviously the world is fake/humanity is a virus concept.

the second and third part are pretty rubbish - the action sequences in the "real world" were so dull and dated even back then, a real step back for such a forward thinking franchise, i loathed the costumes, the casting, the predictable stories and the overall look of it even back in the day. as for the parts where it gets philosophical, i found it as gibberishy and convoluted and ultimately obfuscated as i did back then.

i really like hugo weaving's acting. he is splendid. keanu is absolutely gorgeous but rather clunky in places. i liked carrie-ann moss as well though her character reads really flat these days and her delivery exacerbates that.

all in all, i'd give the first movie a 10, if only for significance, but the subsequent movies were objectively very middling.

anyway, part four apparently coming in 2021, at least in a pre-covid19 world it was.

First one is flawless. I’ve never even seen the third one though as the second was so dull. I suppose I’ll have to watch it before the new one is out.

I feel bad for the people who *did* like the first one. It even looked a bit naff at the time, but now...yikes. All that long black coat, shades and slo-mo stuff. *cringe*

I feel bad for the people who *did* like the first one. It even looked a bit naff at the time, but now...yikes. All that long black coat, shades and slo-mo stuff. *cringe*

I’m not much of a Matrix fan but... really? It was the movie everyone was going on about at the time, particularly about the effects!

The sequels definitely dulled the shine of the original a bit for me... apparently their original plan for the trilogy was for the story of films 2 and 3 to be combined into the final film, with the middle part being a prequel (probably covering similar ground to the superb short The Second Renaissance from The Animatrix which shows how the machines took power in the first place). I think I would've preferred this, Reloaded in particular felt quite overly padded.

The first one was a revelation, the rest of the trilogy were just more of the same, I feel like they doubled down a bit too much on the fight sequences which were impressive enough, but not the back bone of a franchise. My memory might be clouded though. I deffos remember pausing the first one to have some pretty wild sex in the middle though.

I’m not much of a Matrix fan but... really? It was the movie everyone was going on about at the time, particularly about the effects!

the effects were iconic and the looks were iconic even if you don't care about anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom