The Meaning of Mariah Carey by Mariah Carey (Mimi's Memoir) - SPOILERS abound!

How will you be experiencing The Meaning of Mariah Carey?

• Total voters
Just finished it last night. Very satisfying read.

Sunflowers for Alfred Roy is the song she quoted most I think.

And the opening line to Petals is the only lyric she cited twice.

And when she sung Candy Bling :emoji_blush:

I wish she had explained some of Languishing, but I'm nitpicking.

Reactions: dUb
has anyone mentioned the scathing roger friedman review? scathing.

i thought his critique was well substantiated without knowing too much detail about her biography.

why does he hate her (and madonna) again?

He's correct that people have been left out of the book, but I think she's sort of explained that away by saying that the book only deals with people who she feels were truly meaningful in her life. The rights and wrongs of why some people have been left out is up to her I guess. I mean it's a valid criticism, but he pretty much ignores all the stuff she *does* talk about and deal with in the book. He's just being a little bitch as usual.

https://www.showbiz411.com/2020/09/...all-the-publicists-and-managers-who-saved-her

Mariah Carey Book Biggest Omissions: “American Idol,” Nicki Minaj, JLO, All the Publicists and Managers Who Saved Her

“The Making of Mariah Carey,” the book, is out now. You can read it if you want the fiction version of Mariah’s life.

There is so much omitted from this “memoir” that you wonder if Mariah has Alzheimer’s. She should cover the old hit, “Remember What I Told You to Forget.”

Not mentioned by name anywhere in the book are the series of managers who kept her alive. Not the first one, Randy Hoffman, who was partners with first husband, Tommy Mottola (who Mariah trashes in the book).

Glaringly omitted is Louise McNally, a lovely woman who managed Mariah for years after she left Mottola. McNally got Mariah through the “Glitter” debacle and into her comeback at DefJam with L.A. Reid and Jermaine Dupri. There isn’t even a mention of McNally in the acknowledgements.

“American Idol” judge Randy Jackson was Mariah’s friend going back a long way. He saved her ass after “Glitter” by putting together the “Charmbracelet” album. Then he got her a job on “Idol” as judge, where Mariah crossed horns with Nicki Minaj. Jackson gets short shrift, even though he briefly managed her. The whole “American Idol” experience is left out of the book, along with Minaj.

Mariah’s arch nemesis has always been Jennifer Lopez, aka JLo. It was Lopez and Ja Rule who swiped a sample from Carey, thanks to Mottola, and sent her into a frenzy over the “Glitter” soundtrack. Then Mariah got Lopez’s manager, Benny Medina, to manager Mariah as well. How crazy is that? And yet Lopez and Medina are absent from the book.

Also AWOL from “The Making of” is Stella Bulochnikov, the more recent manager who isolated Mariah from her old crowd, and made some poor decisions. One of them was to file a sexual harassment suit against Carey, settled out of court. The whole Stella story could take up its own book. Stella, who has a lot of reality TV producer credits on the imdb, has gone silent since the break up and settlement.

At one point, Jermaine Dupri– who wrote and produced a lot of Mariah’s “comeback” hits at Def Jam, was named her manager in 2013. That lasted about a minute. Again, no mention of it in the book.

And then there were all the publicists. The longest lasting, and the one who turned things around for Mariah, was Cindi Berger of PMK. But eventually Berger actually dismissed Mariah as a client when Bulochnikov made things impossible.

Are there other omissions? Michael Richardson gets a shout out in the acknowledgements, but it’s telling that he doesn’t even merit an anecdote or a reference in the book. For eons Michael was Mariah’s aide de camp, her reliable go to guy who got everything done, went everywhere with her, and made it all possible. Maybe one day he’ll write his own book.

How about Jerry Blair, the marketing guy at Sony for 12 years who did all the hard work to make Mariah’s singles magically get to number 1? He gets nothing even though in 2002, after “Glitter,” it was Blair who put together a label deal with DefJam for Mariah so she could save face. Blair helped create MonarC Entertainment with Mariah. But eventually she stiffed him, and he had to sue her.

The funny thing is, Mariah thinks we forgot all this stuff. But if I made a compilation of stories I wrote about all this stuff in the 90s and 2000s, we’d really get the Meaning of Mariah Carey!

He's just listing all these people he knows? Who CARES ROGER

He does make a couple of pertinent points but it's her book and it'll just keep coming back to that

Also missing the JLo reference is unforgivable

HOWEVER I must ask did I miss a Melissa Ruderman thanks in the acknowledgements or wasn't there one? That does strike me as ODD

That is the pettiest review in music history. The ONLY 'case' that may have any meat to it is maybe Jerry Blair.

I'd never heard of him! Bad lamb. :emoji_thumbsdown::emoji_poodle:

I think I've arrived at the conclusion that "Can't Take That Away" is Mariah's definitive song. I don't think there's a song that contains all of her and her strengths more than that song.

I honestly forgot about Idol too.

WHY should she mention it or Minaj? She clearly hated every minute of it.

Exactly. As she said herself "If they didn't contribute to the meaning of Mariah Carey, they're not in the book"

Haters stay pressed

I think I've arrived at the conclusion that "Can't Take That Away" is Mariah's definitive song. I don't think there's a song that contains all of her and her strengths more than that song.
I mean, I adore it when I'm feeling a certain kind of way but let's not lose the run of ourselves

:D Sorry but CTTA is in a galaxy on it down. It's the kinda song Divas were created to sing.

Is that “they turned their eyes away and went home to sleep” specifically about this incident? It seems to be, what with it following the knife chipping away at me bit.

While speed-listening to the book and fighting anti-lamb fires here on Moopy, I might have missed a bit of detail. Did she explain who these people are?

A boy and a girl befriended me
We bonded through despondency
I stayed so long but finally
I fled to save my sanity
And I miss you little sis
And little brother
And I hope you realize
I'll always love you

Tommy's children maybe? There seems to be a Michael and Sarah

While speed-listening to the book and fighting anti-lamb fires here on Moopy, I might have missed a bit of detail. Did she explain who these people are?

A boy and a girl befriended me
We bonded through despondency
I stayed so long but finally
I fled to save my sanity
And I miss you little sis
And little brother
And I hope you realize
I'll always love you

Tommy's children maybe? There seems to be a Michael and Sarah

Yep, I always presumed those lines were about his children. But were they living with him during the marriage?

Wait...who??

foto812.jpg

British woman who was friends with Mariah during Charmbracelet era, but for some reason no longer. But right up until recently, she's still dropping pics of them together to try to get Mariah's attention lol

I THINK she's the Jasmine from "Jasmine's sofa", but not entirely sure.

Can y'all imagine Stella trying to orchestrate and pull off this book deal?

She must be fuming at how much better Mariah is doing and how much more professional her image is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom