The (possible) Eurovision CORRUPTION thread

I guess we can look forward to a year of unexpected horse's heads

EU-Azer.jpg

Oh I don’t know what she’s singing. I don’t think she did either.

If your idea of a complete Eurovision doesn't involve a weird 50-something gay man who looks like a lion with enough plastic surgery/virgins blood in his system to make him look like he's in his late 20s again, celebrating wildly next to the Moldovan or Russian delegation in the Green Room every time their air raid siren vocals are rewarded with an Azeri 12, WE CANNOT TALK

Oh this thread isn't specifically meant as ANTI-Eurovision corruption as such, more to HIGHLIGHT the dodgy dealings that are easy to miss. It all adds another layer of ridiculousness to the occasion.

Natalia is quite lucky she was in semi 2 rather than semi 1 however. I feel like Croatia would have a genuine strong case for an investigation had her DODGY DEALS kept them from legitimately qualifying.

Demmark don't seem even SLIGHTLY bothered :D

EBU should make a new rule banning people from being involved on multiple entries in the same year, or being involved repeatedly year after year.

Maybe this idea isn't so bad...it could've saved us from "Bigger Than Us" :side-eye:

WURST HAS CHANGED HIS NAME?? I saw no thread on the matter!

As long as I know WHO IS WHO I couldn’t give a FLYING FUCK what your names are, darlings.

t

Truth be told it's a really bad idea. What this year be without Senhit and Natalia? The drawbacks are bigger than any possible benefit.

Oh I certainly wouldn't want a ban on people being involved year after year, was more trying to see one positive to songwriters not being allowed multiple entries in the same year. But it wouldn't always work out in our favour, imagine if Laurell Barker had decided on "Sisters" as her one song in 2019 and we didn't get "She Got Me" :shock:

I would support changing to a more accurate recreation of Natalia‘s note. May I suggest “AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*croak*AAAAAAA”?
The actual change I made was actually something like "@AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaAAaaaAAAhhhhHHhhAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaa" but Xenforo sadly cut it short.

Malta’s spending on its Eurovision Song Contest effort is under investigation following concerns that taxpayer funds were used to boost Destiny’s odds with bookmakers.

Minister Carmelo Abela has ordered an audit of expenditure into the annual contest after he received reports that part of the budget allocated to Malta’s Eurovision team had been used to place bets on performer Destiny, inflating her odds with bookmakers.

Money was also spent on overseas social media influencers, who published promotional content backing Destiny.

Taxpayer funded Eurovision influencers? That's the future liberals want.

Malta spent 700,000 Euro PROMOTING Destiny this year. This is just promotion alone and doesn't account for genesis of the song, staging, music video, outfits etc.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/je-me-cash-malta-blew-650000-on-eurovision.874813

Their aggressive tactics seemed to turn people OFF the entry this year rather than suck people in. It was a similar story in 2020 where they were paying for YouTube views on Chameleon.

Hilariously though, the minister complaining above smacks of SOUR GRAPES and finger pointing that Destiny didn't bring back the victory. I doubt he'd be calling for an investigation had she won :D

Also poor Destiny in all of this, it's not HER FAULT!

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: dUb
The article for those too LAZY to click through:

More than €650,000 were spent on promoting Malta’s Eurovision Song Contest entry as auditors investigate concerns that taxpayer funds were used to boost Destiny’s odds with bookmakers.

Minister Carmelo Abela has ordered an audit of the spend after he received reports that part of the allocated budget for the 10-day event was used to place bets on the Maltese performer.

Two sources close to the probe said the country dished out €650,000, split between €350,000 spent by the Malta Tourism Authority and a further €300,000 by the Public Broadcasting Service.

It is understood this amount is likely to climb to around €700,000, once the last spend is finalised.

The issue of possible financial mismanagement was flagged to Abela, the minister within the Office of the Prime Minister who is responsible for public broadcasting, by the board of the national broadcaster.

Sources said there had already been an informal admission from one PBS insider that part of the marketing budget was spent on financing foreign nationals placing bets on Destiny to win the competition.

The MTA is also believed to have gone considerably over budget on promoting the entry to the song contest, including spending on social media influencers, who uploaded content backing Malta.

Questions sent to the government about the audit, which is due to begin on Monday, have not yet elicited a response.

In 2016, a Times of Malta Freedom of Information request for a full breakdown of all spending by PBS and other government departments on the Eurovision was turned down.

The request had been filed after reports of a “limitless” budget allocation in the hopes of boosting singer Ira Losco’s chances.

At the time, leaked documents showed expenses exceeding €200,000, though the final figure was understood to be substantially higher.

A dancing lesson would have been good. Maybe a personal trainer. Surgery. A charm school.

What an amount! They could join the Big 5 for that, couldn’t they?

Were any moopy members embroiled in the murky Eurovision underworlds suspiciously pro-Malta this year..? :eyes:

IMAGINE if we've all been reading SPONSORED POSTS and not even known about it! :shock: :wow: #spon #ad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom