The Prom

Vote

• Total voters

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
An adaptation of the musical starring Meryl, Nicole Kidman, Kerry Washington and others. Coming to Netflix in December 11

I’m not a fan of the musical apart from It’s Not About Me (which I doubt Meryl can hit such high notes) but I thought this looked decent. Although it does that thing where a trailer for a musical has no songs.

This was ok, but these Netflix movies need to be snappier. Two hours is way too long for such a thin musical.

Meryl was alright but she should stop taking every role offered to her. Also no one deserves that much James Cordon, it was like torture.

The best thing was Kerry Washington’s finale dress.

This was CATS level nonsense but the LGBTQ strand hooked me and I did have a WET EYE a couple of times, despite its heavy-handedness. Nicole was very underused so I’m glad I was drunk.

We started it last night and gave up after 10 minutes. I hated it, and the sound really fucking annoyed me. Dialogue that's super quiet and then music that's deafening. Fuck off Netflix.

Well I just watched this and I bloody loved it.

Yes it’s cheesy and pretty awful in places but it’s got such a good message and it’s well delivered.

i just love that young LGBTQ+ people have things like this to see themselves in.

So James Corden is getting loads of stick for playing “stereotypical gay”.

I still think the “only gay men can play gay” line is bullshit anyway and I’m not entirely sure how I feel about the “stereotypical gay” bit either. YES it can be a TIRED OLD LINE, but equally, it feels like the internalised homophobia which has always been levelled at the camp elements of our queer little world.

Or maybe I’m just a sad old MARY missing the point? :D

I think it's probably more about people (justifiably) hating HIM, than anything.

Though I haven't seen the movie.

I think it's probably more about people (justifiably) hating HIM, than anything.

Though I haven't seen the movie.

I also think it’s about hating him. Which also entirely misses the point.

I mean, he’s playing a Broadway gay. Of course he’s camp.

Everyone involved in this should apologise

for what it’s worth, I have no problem with straight actors playing gay characters (and likewise the other way round) but can we still cancel James Corden tho

It’s just a crime against acting regardless of sexuality.

Also Meryl singing the line “how do you silence a woman who’s known for her belt” as she fails to belt is just sad (still it’s one of the better numbers but because the song is so good). Listen to how crisp the original sounds

I take back my comment to Sheena earlier. His performance is actively terrible and it's nothing to do with him being straight.

Accent going in and out by the syllable and he seems to be doing a very bad impersonation of PAUL LYNDE.

Just you wait until his mother shows up.

Was this filmed during the Pandemic? Why is Nicole Kidman HERE? She's literally done nothing so far. I can only assume she's inexplicably broke/a workaholic and all other viable filming opportunities had been shut down.

Well I thought that was thoroughly enjoyable. The music was very Hairspray-esque although not quite as memorable and it got quite repetitive after the first prom, but honestly laughed a lot all the way through.

God, weird how much this is dividing opinion. I honestly thought it was a total embarrassment. The songs were all TERRIBLE too - they all sounded exactly the same.

Not aimed at me I guess.

Reactions: SDF
I found this extremely unwatchable.
I soldiered on through to the end though.
I guess the part with the kids reacting to the girl's video was nice.
The rest of it was boring.
And I personally have nothing against James Corden. Do people really hate him so much? I thought he was becoming quite successful and stuff.

I’m ten minutes in and I’m cringing so hard

how did this ever have any Oscar buzz? :D those marketing teams at Netflix have absolutely no shame.

but bravo for getting Meryl and Nicole to agree to this. That must have been one hefty paycheck.

I still don’t get James Corden.

I mildy enjoyed it. I held my cringe for something to watch.

James Corden is absolutely abysmal. Playing gay and wrote the word FAGGOT into the Gavin & Stacey script. Fuck off you useless lump of shit.

The nod to Tiffany in the mall number has just tickled my affections.

I actually think Corden is decent in this. I'm not offended at all as in a way, as always, he's playing himself. The scene I'm watching now, where he's dancing with himself as a young boy, is really lovely.

Oh of course it's Tracy Ulman. I'll try to remember I warmed to her in Cate Blanchette's America programme to get through this next scene.

Well, what with the Kristen Stewart rom com I've still to watch, 'tis the season to be lesbo clearly. I'm just thinking how wonderful 1999 would have been for me if there were these offerings among the peak of teen 90s movies. I think I'm on the 10 with this.

If this had came out in the 80s I'd like to believe the photo booth end credits number would have been Dressed for Success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom