The Real Housewives of Melbourne

I don’t understand why when I look back at the initial promo for this season Gina and Lydia are in it?

I don’t understand why when I look back at the initial promo for this season Gina and Lydia are in it?

I guess they were given the option to re-evaluate since original production for season 5 got halted / never got underway and they both opted out. BOO.

Presumably they were in the initial series that was filming pre pandemic? I presume they’ve scrapped all that footage and started again. They probs my had to renegotiate their contracts and they either decided they wanted out then or wanted more money.

ANYWAY belatedly just adding my thoughts to this DISASTER of a season 5 casting.

For me, Lydia is by far the biggest loss. As problematic as she is, I just cannot help but STAN - and I'm sure I'm not alone with that opinion :D

I'm not sure a season of TOTALLY CHECKED OUT Gina would be all that fun to watch tbh, and it would probably stifle any dramatics that could possibly thrive with any new additions, but as season 3 proved, Lydia as a LOOSE CANNON with on-show allies only in the loosest sense of the word (:eyes: Pettifleur) made absolute reality TV GOLD. The rumour is Lydia was swapped out for Jackie once Gina confirmed she wasn't going to proceed, which is just MADNESS to me from a reality TV point of view. Not to mention Janet vs Lydia is a complete POWDER KEG of a plot point that really needed exploding.

A brief timeline from cobbling together various online sources (nobody I actually KNOW!) of what I think happened -
- After season 4 - the show fell into PRODUCTION HELL with the network focusing on other programming and the production company putting it on the back-burner trying to get Auckland and Sydney off the ground (:eyes:)
- Pre-pandemic season 5 was in talks, but the production company were struggling with how to make the season not be a repeat of season 4 with everybody coming for Gina again/Gina being foul to newbies.
- They FINALLY sort it out, and announce season 5 with the previous cast that included Gina & Lydia. A few scenes are shot (people saw them shooting in Melbourne) but production is totally shut down due to C-19.
- JANUARY this year, production resumes in small capacity - Lydia and Gina definitely shot a couple of scenes together at the start of the year.
- Gina speaks to press saying she is enjoying life without Housewives and isn't too bothered about returning to the spotlight.
- New cast is revealed without Gina and Lydia, and with a MYSTERIOUS return of Jackie.
- Gina doesn't give a fuck about the new cast, Lydia spends the whole day of the cast reveal liking comments/re-sharing fans saying 'Bring back Lydia" on social media :D

I'm guessing from what was shot already, Gina was just checked out and Lydia wasn't exactly RIVETING TV by proxy (not that Lydia really shines as Gina's henchwoman anyway), hence the decision to switch her out for Jackie. SAD!

Last edited:
I remember reading that Jackie was previously confirmed as having left but returning as a friend-of, so I wonder if she was spotted filming (presumably with Janet) at some point for the now-scrapped original season 5.

I actually have quite a LARGE soft spot for Jackie, so I'm pleased she's back but I'd rather have had Gina and Lydia OBVIOUSLY. I'm also hoping that Janet and Jackie in the cast increases the odds of another Chyka cameo, if nothing else.

I do miss Chyka quite a lot too :(
I think you need one fairly normal person for the madness to go on around.

I actually have quite a LARGE soft spot for Jackie, so I'm pleased she's back but I'd rather have had Gina and Lydia OBVIOUSLY. I'm also hoping that Janet and Jackie in the cast increases the odds of another Chyka cameo, if nothing else.
I did notice that in Season 4 Chyka shared no scenes with Lydia I like to think she refused to share the screen with her so here’s hoping !

Reactions: COB
THAT SAID, if the new season shooting doesn't go TOO WELL with the new cast members I absolutely wouldn't rule out Lydia returning as the wicked witch of the west in a guest/friend of role later in the season.

I thought the newbie Cherry had potential as she's clearly been born with resting bitch face, but Janet posted on Instagram that she's a fabulous girl and she loves her :(

I don't REALLY see where the tension is going to come from. And WHO is the random new blonde woman? She must be pretty good to take Lydia's spot in the cast..?

The "core four" :eyes: are TOO TIGHT for it to be anything but old vs new.

ANYWAY belatedly just adding my thoughts to this DISASTER of a season 5 casting.

For me, Lydia is by far the biggest loss. As problematic as she is, I just cannot help but STAN - and I'm sure I'm not alone with that opinion :D

I'm not sure a season of TOTALLY CHECKED OUT Gina would be all that fun to watch tbh, and it would probably stifle any dramatics that could possibly thrive with any new additions, but as season 3 proved, Lydia as a LOOSE CANNON with on-show allies only in the loosest sense of the word (:eyes: Pettifleur) made absolute reality TV GOLD. The rumour is Lydia was swapped out for Jackie once Gina confirmed she wasn't going to proceed, which is just MADNESS to me from a reality TV point of view. Not to mention Janet vs Lydia is a complete POWDER KEG of a plot point that really needed exploding.

A brief timeline from cobbling together various online sources (nobody I actually KNOW!) of what I think happened -
- After season 4 - the show fell into PRODUCTION HELL with the network focusing on other programming and the production company putting it on the back-burner trying to get Auckland and Sydney off the ground (:eyes:)
- Pre-pandemic season 5 was in talks, but the production company were struggling with how to make the season not be a repeat of season 4 with everybody coming for Gina again/Gina being foul to newbies.
- They FINALLY sort it out, and announce season 5 with the previous cast that included Gina & Lydia. A few scenes are shot (people saw them shooting in Melbourne) but production is totally shut down due to C-19.
- JANUARY this year, production resumes in small capacity - Lydia and Gina definitely shot a couple of scenes together at the start of the year.
- Gina speaks to press saying she is enjoying life without Housewives and isn't too bothered about returning to the spotlight.
- New cast is revealed without Gina and Lydia, and with a MYSTERIOUS return of Jackie.
- Gina doesn't give a fuck about the new cast, Lydia spends the whole day of the cast reveal liking comments/re-sharing fans saying 'Bring back Lydia" on social media :D

I'm guessing from what was shot already, Gina was just checked out and Lydia wasn't exactly RIVETING TV by proxy (not that Lydia really shines as Gina's henchwoman anyway), hence the decision to switch her out for Jackie. SAD!

Bravo.

Agree on Lydia. A little write up in a certain thread would be lovely :eyes:

Lydia was campaigning by far the most of the Housewives to have season 5 happen too :D The amount of articles clearly planted by HER in the Australian press about Lydia being in the best shape of her LIFE and READY to FILM :eyes: // :(

And for production to fling her under the bus in favour of Jackie from NEWCASTLE! :shock: The INDIGNITY!

real housewives shut the fuck up GIF by RealityTVGIFs

Aww, I don't care for Jackie (although I don't hate her, she's fine in group scenes) but I am happy for her for finally getting fertilised - although WHY you'd want to bring a child into a world staring at intense global warming, mass disinformation and all the rest I do not KNOW. It's actually quite a selfish thing to do in my opinion.

But happy for her anyway :) I hope it doesn't dominate season 5 (it will :eyes: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom