The Suicide Squad (2021)

Vote

• Total voters

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him

The cast is too big but it looks like good fun as opposed to the dreariness of the first one.

God, the first one was CRAP.

I'm glad Margot Robbie has got some mileage out of playing Harley though. She seems like she's having fun.

The first one was absolute NONSENSE, I genuinely had no idea what was happening for most of it :D This looks like good fun, I trust James Gunn to deliver thrills 'n' spills.

I know a lot of people liked the Birds of Prey movie, but personally I never need to see Margot Robbie playing this insufferable character ever again.

I know a lot of people liked the Birds of Prey movie, but personally I never need to see Margot Robbie playing this insufferable character ever again.
YES

Reactions: VoR
I do love that they have all these super powered characters and then just SOME WOMAN with a baseball bat, it's so stupid :D The only place she's REALLY worked for me was in the old Batman animated series.

I mean it’s not like the movie is supposed to be straight forward. You kids need to loosen up a bit. I think she’s great in the role and she’s obviously having fun.

The "eat a bag of dicks" back-and-forth is giving me dimwitted str8 bants casual homophobia and I'm not here for it

Why has this title just added a “The”? I don’t really follow all of the DC stuff but with the whole Snyder Cut thing, it makes me think this isn’t an entirely new film.

Has it opened? It’s August 6th. It’s not gonna make money 10 days ahead.

Reviews seem to be positive

Why has this title just added a “The”? I don’t really follow all of the DC stuff but with the whole Snyder Cut thing, it makes me think this isn’t an entirely new film.
It's a sequel/'soft reboot' but I can see why it would be confusing!

It does feel like they're just beating a dead horse at this point. I know people felt James Gunn would always have done a better job of this (and based on the reviews, he has) but I don't sense the demand was ever that huge for it to be re-done. Particularly after the Harley Quinn movie tanked a couple of years ago. Just let it die!

Has it opened? It’s August 6th. It’s not gonna make money 10 days ahead.
RIGHT!

films over and underperform vs expectations all the time, if the reviews are strong enough I reckon this will open to at least 35m. the idea that it's "bombing" at this point is :D

currently it has a pretty excellent 77 on Metacritic so let's see.

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: dUb
that said the DCEU def feels like it's just treading water until The Batman finally comes out (still not 'til 2022!), but a little while ago it seemed utterly dead in the water so I'm sure they'll be happy enough to at least have well received movies coming out.

I mean I enjoyed the Harley Quinn movie a lot and this looks like good fun. I don’t need it to have a huge interconnected universe, these stand alone-ish movies are more entertaining.

Despite my moaning above, this was reasonably good fun really, for what it was. Definitely a vast improvement on the first iteration - not that that's a particularly high bar.

I'll never really be into the nihilistic tone of these things, the absolutely relentless death and violence just numbs the impact for me. But I get that that might be more of a me problem.

I also wasn't fond of the rather JARRING shift in tone in the last third. It works best a live action cartoon for me, when it started trying to 'say something' and also seemed to expect you to actually CARE about some of these ridiculous characters, it kinda lost me.

For me Harley Quinn was one of the worst things about it though. It's not really Margot Robbie's fault, I just find the character so totally one-note and annoying. It's the same schtick for three movies in a row - like Austin Powers or something. The joke just doesn't bear that much repetition.

Cinema was packed, for what it's worth.

Agree about Harley Quinn, she's not really in it much but when she is, she's annoying. The fight scene with the javelin was cool though.

I couldn't help but think Starro the giant starfish looked like an early 90s Power Rangers villain when it was charging through the city destroying buildings.

apparently the current revised weekend estimate for this is 35-50m. so maybe good reviews still count for hype.

Not watched this but I know someone who named her daughter Harley because Harley Quinn is 'a feminist icon'.

Harley Quinn quit her job and changed her personality just to please a man who regularly abuses her. Get better icons.

This was alright. I found it all a bit basic humor, James Gunn is just not my cup of tea. The first Guardians was fun but it’s been pretty much the same with diminishing returns.

I disagree about Harley, the only reason this was bearable was because of how good Margot Robbie. I just enjoy her so much.

Well I thought this was pretty fucking great!

I liked this but my main IRK with these movies has always been trying to pack as many characters as possible
only to get rid of them in the first 5 minutes after it starts :D :shock:

on a lighter note, I liked that this time it didn't feel like a Harley and friends type of movie.

a couple of times it seemed like King Shark was approaching Groo territory.

Finally watched this on my flight yesterday, I thought it was fantastic - a shame it didn't do so well financially, but then I didn't see it at the cinema so I can't really say anything :tongueout:

I went to see it in the cinema and found it dreadfully overhyped. Not terrible, but certainly not the classic it was being touted as and very forgettable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom