THE SUNDAY SYNC - PORTISHEAD - DUMMY 8PM 10/05

'Please could you stay a while to share my grief.' What a magnificent opening line.

The only thing that does grate a little for me are some of the DJ-scratching bits. But they also add another level to the uncanny nature...a feeling of something discovered rather than created.

10 Mysterons
10 Sour Times
07 Strangers
08 It Could Be Sweet

Is it weird that I'm not finding the scratching to be dated-sounding? Maybe I'm just old :D

This is such a VIBE, you can see why they were called dinner party music at the time.
I can't imagine putting this on in the background and having a conversation. I'd be shushing people to listen to bits.

Is i weird that I'm not finding the scratching to be dated-sounding? Maybe I'm just old :D

It should do but it embeds so nicely with the rest of the production that it sounds quite natural.

10 Mysterons
10 Sour Times
08 Strangers
09 It Could Be Sweet
07 Wandering Star (but a strong 7)

10 Mysterons
10 Sour Times
07 Strangers
08 It Could Be Sweet
10 Wandering Star

Yeah - It's A Fire doesn't belong on the album - it has a very different feel.

It's so funny cos I remember all these songs but I know none of them as individual tracks, only as parts of the whole album.

I can see why it was added tho' - it's GOOD. Great vocal, of course - and I can never resist a Hammond organ.

Yeah - It's A Fire doesn't belong on the album - it has a very different feel.

I like it as a slight move off... I think it fits fine without being exactly the same style. I wonder if Lolly had a point about putting it at the end.

It's so funny cos I remember all these songs but I know none of them as individual tracks, only as parts of the whole album.
Yup. I only knew the names of about four of the tracks

10 Mysterons
10 Sour Times
08 Strangers
09 It Could Be Sweet
07 Wandering Star
09 Its A Fire

10 Mysterons
10 Sour Times
07 Strangers
08 It Could Be Sweet
10 Wandering Star
08 It's A Fire

There's a lot of fading out of tracks.

Oooo I remember really liking Numb. For me this just screams darrrrrrrrk and it's all the better for it.

Putting a bonus track in the middle of an album is a little weird. Play Dead didn't remotely fit with Debut, but it was less jarring because it was at the end.

Is there a reason "It's A Fire" is on my CD copy but not on the vinyl reissue? I'm sure I knew why..

I like It's A Fire. Quite a lot.

But Wandering Star not leading into Numb just feels wrong.

Is there a reason "It's A Fire" is on my CD copy but not on the vinyl reissue? I'm sure I knew why..

It wasn't on the album originally, regardless of format. Presumably they wanted to stay true to the original album.

It's well spooky.

Worth remembering that summer 94 was the height of Britpop. Perhaps not a surprise that the album took until the winter to really cut through.

Reactions: COB
10 Mysterons
10 Sour Times
08 Strangers
09 It Could Be Sweet
07 Wandering Star
09 Its A Fire
10 Numb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom