THE SUNDAY SYNC - PORTISHEAD - DUMMY 8PM 10/05

octophone

Prole Art Threat
As suggested by @lolly, this week's Sunday Sync where we sync-listen something a bit more chilled is the classic debut by Portishead.

Arriving out of exactly nowhere in 1994, this album was an instant critical hit and was a classic slow-burner hit, finally hitting a chart peak of #2 in 1995 after "Glory Box" reached the top 20 in January '95.

Yes please! I'm one of the weirdos who got into Portishead with the second album, and I'm actually not that familiar with Dummy apart from Glory Box and Sour Times (which are both 10/10 obviously).

You can tell I was still sleepy when I wrote that:
"this album was an instant critical hit and was a classic slow-burner hit, finally hitting a chart peak of #2"...if it "hit" anything else it would have failed its driving test.

NAR: I saw Beth Gibbons in Gap once, about to buy a grey cardigan.

I've not done one of these before but I might do for this! :)

Glory Box was playing when I got my FIRST BLOWJOB.
The album brings back :horny: memories for me as well. Very much the soundtrack to a 25/26 year old me being buggered senseless by a published local photographer for a two week affair.

I'll make sure I keep my pants on while we're listening.

Do we start bang on 8pm or is that when people start chatting then we press play at a certain point?

Right, I'm doing this on the original CD I bought back in "the day" - I think I bought it just after "Glory Box" was a hit, so early '95. I wasn't in there first week on this one. I missed it because the Manics issued The Holy Bible about the same time.

I'm here. And we usually start these things dead on 8 based on timeanddate.com

I haven't listened to this in probably decades... and I'm already in love with the first track in 30 seconds.

Oh I know this one! I think I'll know more of the tracks than I think, from being used on soundtracks etc.

This is definitely my favourite of all the Bristol Sound albums :disco:

It was pretty much the first time I remember the city being known for anything on a national cultural scale, other than for two thirds of Bananarama and Robin Cousins.

It's such an odd sound - the mixture of fidelities...the lack of bass. And *that* voice.

Me rn:
0f5f0d061b4f5acba7e368100d8e23b6.jpg

If ever a voice was made for the theremin, it would have to be Beth.

I absolutely adore Sour Times - that was the song that sold the album to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom